BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Autoexpress 5 Series Review: G30 sets new executive car standard

12-06-2016, 05:12 AM   #1
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

Autoexpress 5 Series Review: G30 sets new executive car standard

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Appreciate 3
Laki021366.50
sycd247.00
amdmaxx118.00
      12-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

That's the UK Auto Express review listed in the sticky at the top of this board I think
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

And the 'CARmagazine' where they wrote the Mercedes E felt like a "tin can" in comparison to the 5 over rutted roads surfaces.
Appreciate 1
beanbaguk453.50
      12-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Can't wait until the diesels make their way Stateside
      12-07-2016, 03:01 AM   #5
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Sounds like it's all the car you could ever want, and I really like the evolutionary looks.
The 6 pot diesel is a cracker of course. Ive had it in two 5's and now have it in my 3
Pleased to hear that the new 5 is likely to unseat the E class at the top of the tree - the MB is a dull car if ever there was one, with a poor range of engines (at least in the UK).
      12-07-2016, 04:03 AM   #6
matowi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: carless at the moment

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Can't wait until the diesels make their way Stateside
Funny for you to say that. What would be your rationale for that?

I'm a happy owner of a 535d x-drive F10 LCI (European) and already know my next model is going to be petrol straight six or v8. Diesel engines deceive you with their infinite torque and it's all great when overtaking slower traffic and stuff. However the engine response to throttle, eagerness to rev, overall refinement (noise, vibrations) are nowhere near the petrol versions. When you add the extra weight to the equation, you get a car that is a bit uneventful, a bit lazy, a bit too cozy and a bit too tractor-like. It will pull like crazy in a straight line and will be blisteringly fast (with mods I've done, I'm confident to drag race a stock 550i or 650i F-generation models). Diesel will be good for sailing on a highway. But come twisty roads, or frequent changes in pace when you need to work that gearbox and carry weight smoothly over corners - that's when you wish you had a more responsive, high revving, lighter petrol engine.

For sound freaks: Diesel engines have their moods. On occasions, they sing as they should: deep, soft, powerful sounds of a well maintained, well oiled, clean powerful engine. Quite pleasant and nicely bassy. Mostly, however, they are harsh, even the inline six of BMW has difficulty masking what it burns. Gets on my nerves every time I use the throttle. There's rumbling, scraping, metallic noise coming from under the bonnet. As if loose parts were minced or grated, or as if un-oiled metal surfaces were rubbing against each other. Not really confidence inspiring

Oh, and there is the matter of pollution. Diesels are the worst when it comes to producing nasty stuff. They burn less fuel, but their smoke is nasty- main reason for some cities in Europe to ponder banning diesels altogether

Consider your diesel preference when looking for a new car. I'd recommend against them

Had '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 1
sahajesh2290.00
      12-07-2016, 05:43 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Re diesels, that's why I'm pondering about my next five being petrol or diesel.
I have a 530D now and like the effortless way it moves around, its refined (but obviously not as refined as petrol) .
HOWEVER, this talk of diesels being banned in some cities means I will have to give a lot of consideration to whether its the right choice next time.
I know in London, there is talk of banning anything that's not EU6.
The other thing to consider is that even if you buy now, if subsequent rules come into force banning them, the resale value of you car may not be great - who wants to buy a car that you can't drive in London (or have to pay everytime you do want to)
So I am seriously thinking petrol may be the better choice gong forward. (in which case it's a 540i msport xdrive!!)
One to watch I think and will be interesting to see how things pan out .
Those are my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 06:55 AM   #8
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Re diesels, that's why I'm pondering about my next five being petrol or diesel.
I have a 530D now and like the effortless way it moves around, its refined (but obviously not as refined as petrol) .
HOWEVER, this talk of diesels being banned in some cities means I will have to give a lot of consideration to whether its the right choice next time.
I know in London, there is talk of banning anything that's not EU6.
The other thing to consider is that even if you buy now, if subsequent rules come into force banning them, the resale value of you car may not be great - who wants to buy a car that you can't drive in London (or have to pay everytime you do want to)
So I am seriously thinking petrol may be the better choice gong forward. (in which case it's a 540i msport xdrive!!)
One to watch I think and will be interesting to see how things pan out .
Those are my thoughts.
It will indeed be interesting to see what London implements and as a Londoner, I have a particular interest.
If anything less than EU6 is banned for diesel passenger cars, that's a ban on a very large number of cars currently on our roads. Many manufacturers only developed EU6 compliant Diesel engines within the last 2 years and some big names aren't even there yet with some models.
There's even talk of extending the Ultra Low Emissions Zone out as far as the South and North Circular roads by 2020 which is a MASSIVE area. It would be interesting to see a Pareto analysis (80:20) of what is producing the highest levels of NOx, CO2 and particulates - taxis, lorries and buses must be high up there and by definition, older passenger cars will be making a disproportionate contribution.
We have 2 EU5 diesels in our household so may be forced to go down the petrol route in the next few years - part exchanging out of London of course!!m
      12-07-2016, 07:05 AM   #9
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Typical BMW switch-bait. They give journalists a first drive to review in a 540i M Sport, loaded up the wazoo. And when you and I walk into the showroom to check out a no-name 530i, it's nothing like the one in the video. Stripped down, hard plastics, ugly wheels, ...

And the up-sell begins.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I am sure other car makes do the same with the argument of allowing the press to see all the options that can be had. however as you say real world , cars of that spec will form a very small percentage of cars out there.

re my previous comments on diesel , my thoughts are that the 540i may well be the one for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #11
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu1 View Post
Printed article below. It's fair to say that the UK press seem to love the G30 and believe it's the new benchmark in its class...
Attached Images

12-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #12
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Not a glowing review. Isn't the G30 supposed to be more athletic? This review makes it sound like a baby G11. I know this wasn't a review of the Sport version but it still feels like getting the bunny suit pajamas from aunt Clara.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #13
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Not a glowing review. Isn't the G30 supposed to be more athletic? This review makes it sound like a baby G11. I know this wasn't a review of the Sport version but it still feels like getting the bunny suit pajamas from aunt Clara.
Seems like all the reviews thus far have been lukewarm about the driving experience. Looks like the chassis engineering is better and as a whole it's superior to the F10, but that's not saying much considering the F10 was one of the worst BMWs of all time from a driving standpoint.

I suppose getting a 5er just isn't in my future. Hopefully the next ///M3 is more luxurious from inside.
Appreciate 0