E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Eonon GA6165f review/help

12-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
hugyourewoks
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 540iT

Garage List
Eonon GA6165f review/help

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a Eonon ga6165f Android 5.1 GPS STEREO DVD PLAYER NAV meow meow meow (https://goo.gl/cvHzGy), and wanted to give some feed back to the e90post community and especially to my fellow E91 owners. Wagon DIY guides and other general information is hard to come by (at least from the scope of my searching).
Background: I am the proud owner of a 2007 E91 XI 6 speed wagon. She has over 200K miles; I'm a Coast Guard Machinery Technician and I love working on her. To date I have completed a new clutch install, three stage intake swap (haven't been tuned yet), primary cat delete, and other basic preventative maintenance like spark plugs, serpentine belt, brakes, and the like.
The main reason I went with the Eonon unit was relative cheap pricing, relative OEM look, relative OEM functionality within the CAN BUS, Android based for ease of connectivity, GPS nav, and Bluetooth music. The install was pretty straightforward, plug the eonon wiring harness into the BMW one, hook up the left and right audio channels and antenna. The BMW bracket that held the BMW Professional radio is removed and you replace it with a piece of metal that is quite sharp. I have several cuts on my wrist that look suspect. I ran the GPS and external Mic wires through under the dash like in this video made by Eonon for an older model of the head unit (
). The hardest part was trying to find a fuse for constant power. The start up time isn't over long, I just like to have music as soon as I get in my car (younger generation, perhaps?). I used this forum post for general information about constant power
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016187
until I looked at my fuse panel and discovered that it was different. After some very unsuccessful attempts at jamming a blade type crimped connection into fuse 63 (central door locking 30amp) with the fuse, I realized this was dumb. I also think I slightly widened my fuse contacts in fuse spot 63 because I started having some interesting problems after I gave up on the "jam" session and put the 30 amp fuse back by itself. Evidently the AC compressor, rear windows, parking brake sensor, as well as the central locking are all run through 63. I decided to just run wire with an inline 15 amp fuse all the way back to the battery for constant power.

The hardest part of this install was the free back up camera I received with the head unit. I mounted it to one of my licence plate screws, ran the cable through the hatch release seal where the cable splits for power and video signal. The video RCA cable routing was quite interesting. I went to the right side of the rear hatch up under the rear window seal up to the hinge where the bundle of OEM wire is. I decided not to run it through the rubber cableway and stuffed it through, running it along the right side roof trim back to the front right windshield trim and down through the dash like the GPS and Mic wires. The power cable from the back up camera I attached to my right rear lights inside the rear hatch. Red positive wire I attached to the white reverse light and the black ground wire I attached to the brown OEM ground wire. However, the back up camera only works the first time I start the car and shift into reverse, then the picture goes all wack and looks like my parents old 13in Japanese TV when the analog antennas weren't in the right position. Kinda static-y and striped. My question is, what is wrong with the power supplied to the back up camera? It is correctly configured, is there not enough power supplied to the reverse light to supply the light and the camera? The two pictures showing the wiring to the reverse lights are before I attached them directly to the each wire inside of the connector; I was using that as a test circuit, I did not use that screw as my ground.

Overall, the unit was worth the hassle. I will eventually either root my phone to allow unlimited data (I have Sprint) for wifi tethering, or do some ghetto PDA Net based USB tethering for Google Maps, Play Music, Pandora, and other online apps. Sygic works fine for now.

Let me know what you all think! I for one don't mind the little quirks and eccentricities of my wagon, that's what makes it mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0