THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) need bodyshop recommendation socal

12-16-2016, 04:08 AM   #1
boypaulkim
Private
Rep
Drives: 230i

need bodyshop recommendation socal

so when i went to go on a short drive, i discovered this. not sure where it happened but pissed me off none the less. no note nothing... there is a small greenish yellow and blueish paint. any how im looking for a good bodyshop recommendation in socal (west los angeles) area... and can anyone advise on how much the repair would generally cost? nothing is dented just paint scrapped off..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Did anything wipe off with isopropyl alcohol, polish and wax ?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

If the car is just white, not metallic, not that much. If metallic it will need to be blended to be perfect, which is a whole other story.

Just make sure the body shop removes the bumper for paint, not mask on car. The bumper is easy to remove, one hour or so max labor for a shop to remove and remove grills. Worth the extra money for proper finish. Also I would have them prime with a flex additive and you will greatly reduce the chips, and pitting in the front of car from road rash.

Price is regional dependant, CA may still only allow waterborne paint? Look for a shop using PPG or similar high end paints.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 02:58 AM   #4
boypaulkim
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Did anything wipe off with isopropyl alcohol, polish and wax ?
i havent tried cleaning the area. but that black part isnt paint teansfer. thats my white paint scrapped off
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #5
boypaulkim
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
If the car is just white, not metallic, not that much. If metallic it will need to be blended to be perfect, which is a whole other story.

Just make sure the body shop removes the bumper for paint, not mask on car. The bumper is easy to remove, one hour or so max labor for a shop to remove and remove grills. Worth the extra money for proper finish. Also I would have them prime with a flex additive and you will greatly reduce the chips, and pitting in the front of car from road rash.

Price is regional dependant, CA may still only allow waterborne paint? Look for a shop using PPG or similar high end paints.
thank you for your response. what is waterborne paint? and what is ppg?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Oil based, latex based, water based - paint - a water base to help the enviroment.

PPG Pittsburg plate and glass - make automobike paints. But I thought BMW used Glasurit paint.

Call Ferrari of San Diego and ask which body shop painter they use - and call BMW usa for certified BMW body repair shops in your area - that way you have some base recommendations.

i had ordered a BMW rear bumper and I'm not sure if it came coated with primer paint or not and it was colored tan. Could the bumper have a black base color?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #7
f22b58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

2M Autowerks
Auto body shop in San Diego, California · Sorrento Valley
Address: 8554 Commerce Ave, San Diego, CA 92121
Phone: (858) 536-2886
      12-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Oil based, latex based, water based - paint - a water base to help the enviroment.

PPG Pittsburg plate and glass - make automobike paints. But I thought BMW used Glasurit paint.

Call Ferrari of San Diego and ask which body shop painter they use - and call BMW usa for certified BMW body repair shops in your area - that way you have some base recommendations.

i had ordered a BMW rear bumper and I'm not sure if it came coated with primer paint or not and it was colored tan. Could the bumper have a black base color?
Bumper comes primed, black is the plastic. Our cars are shot in waterborne base, and a thin solvent clear, that's why there is so much orange peel
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Bumper comes primed, black is the plastic. Our cars are shot in waterborne base, and a thin solvent clear, that's why there is so much orange peel
You know your painting - I'm impressed.
Appreciate 0