THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning B58 BMS intake/jb4/clutch stop and vm downpipe install/review

12-29-2016, 02:45 AM   #1
ko113
Rep
Drives: m240i

B58 BMS intake/jb4/clutch stop and vm downpipe install/review

Hey guys I thought Id do kind of a review of the install and results for anyone on the fence. To note, I am fairly new to working on cars and am not really a wrench guy.

[BMS intake]
Install: super simple, everything went as according to their install guide

Results: As similarly reported, cant feel any improvements in power. No sound difference until 4k+ rpm when I get a kind of whistling sound. Not sure if its really an improvement, but it makes the engine bay look nicer.

[VM catless downpipe]
Install: Did not come with any instructions even though the vendor told me they would be included. So I used this guide: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970868
A couple things to note:
I did not need e10/e12 bits.
When i reinstalled the 02 sensors, the black upper sensor was at an extreme angle so that the sensor cable had tension when in the groove, so I left it off the groove.
While preparing for the install I read quite a bit of threads that talked about downpipe gaskets, I did not see or feel any gasket when removing the stock downpipe, though it may have just been in a groove as others have noted.

Results:
I have driven around 80 miles and still have not gotten a CEL. I have the jb4 ready when it comes.
I now get a very strong exhaust/unburnt fuel smell that my neighbor described as “running rich”. This is normal right?
If anything, I want to say my butt dyno feels less power in the low rpms, but that might just be my imagination. There is definitely an increase in power at the higher rpm.

[JB4 tune]
Install: I would have appreciated it if bms’ install guide mentioned a different procedure for manual transmissions. I spent a lot of time looking through other models’ install guides and reading other forums to figure this out.
After multiple days of trying, I still have not been able to fit the obd cable next to the hose. Anyone know the worst case if I punctured or damaged that hose? Im pretty sure I completely destroyed the grommet.

Result: TBD

[BMS clutch stop]
Install: Was x2 10mm bolts instead of torx. My stock clutch stop was white instead of the black one shown in the instructions.

Result: Shifting does feel better. (I took off one of the shims as others have also done)

Hope this helps anyone looking for it
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:28 AM   #2
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
I had the JB4 and BMS intake on the car for awhile and I loved the result. Didn't get a chance for the DP yet. Waiting on a service in about a week before I put it on. With just the intake on, I did hear a little more burbles in all modes. Noticed the whistling as well and I think it sounds nice imo. The JB4 made even more burbles and the whistling was happening at lower RPMs. The power increase of the JB4 was amazing. I definitely noticed that the JB4 made it feel like a normal turbo car. It pulls down low, but once it hits about 2k-2500 rpm it pulls extremely hard. This could be because of the wider tires combined with xDrive that makes the power increase stick much better so not sure if a manual will have the same effect. Might just cause more wheel spin for you. Can't wait to get the car finished with service so I can put the DP on.

As far as your JB4 install, where are you trying to run the OBD cable through in the engine bay? The install guide from BMS was pretty straight forward for me (but I'm also AT). Their picture of the grommet wasn't great. I pulled out that bottom cover (disconnected the speaker and light to fully remove) and then layed on the floor to see up and pushed the grommet out with a long ratchet extension (had my wife catch it in the engine bay so it didn't disappear). Ran the cable from the inside and left the excess cable under the dash. I can take some better pictures of the install next week when I put it back in if you still have troubles with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
evancross
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT

I ordered the same thing from Mike at N54tuning - very excited! I will try post some sound clips when it is all done.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing your experience OP

The stronger fuel smell is normal due to eliminating cats in the downpipe

Contact BMS for tips on how to install the Jb4

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
ko113
Rep
Drives: m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
I had the JB4 and BMS intake on the car for awhile and I loved the result. Didn't get a chance for the DP yet. Waiting on a service in about a week before I put it on. With just the intake on, I did hear a little more burbles in all modes. Noticed the whistling as well and I think it sounds nice imo. The JB4 made even more burbles and the whistling was happening at lower RPMs. The power increase of the JB4 was amazing. I definitely noticed that the JB4 made it feel like a normal turbo car. It pulls down low, but once it hits about 2k-2500 rpm it pulls extremely hard. This could be because of the wider tires combined with xDrive that makes the power increase stick much better so not sure if a manual will have the same effect. Might just cause more wheel spin for you. Can't wait to get the car finished with service so I can put the DP on.

As far as your JB4 install, where are you trying to run the OBD cable through in the engine bay? The install guide from BMS was pretty straight forward for me (but I'm also AT). Their picture of the grommet wasn't great. I pulled out that bottom cover (disconnected the speaker and light to fully remove) and then layed on the floor to see up and pushed the grommet out with a long ratchet extension (had my wife catch it in the engine bay so it didn't disappear). Ran the cable from the inside and left the excess cable under the dash. I can take some better pictures of the install next week when I put it back in if you still have troubles with it.
The manual transmission has a fairly thick hose running through the grommet. I have attached before and after (with the obd cable in) pics. I ended up cutting the cable in half and then reconnecting them with some electrical tape. I might go back and solder the 2 wires, im still not happy that the install guide didnt mention the hose for manuals.
I hope my jb4 results turn out as good as yours!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:06 AM   #6
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko113 View Post
The manual transmission has a fairly thick hose running through the grommet. I have attached before and after (with the obd cable in) pics. I ended up cutting the cable in half and then reconnecting them with some electrical tape. I might go back and solder the 2 wires, im still not happy that the install guide didnt mention the hose for manuals.
I hope my jb4 results turn out as good as yours!
I'd just pull the grommet back on the hose so it's not cutting up against the old cable honestly. I left the grommet completely off on mine and just ran the cable through the hole. Didn't have any water leaking inside and the car went through rain and also a car wash. I wouldn't worry about the water getting in.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
AlexBeuro
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quick question. I read somewhere that the downpipe won't throw a code with the JB4 software but would with other software like autowerks. Any input?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBeuro View Post
Quick question. I read somewhere that the downpipe won't throw a code with the JB4 software but would with other software like autowerks. Any input?
Correct, JB4 is the only piggyback that will suppress the CEL code

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Can one of you school me on what issue the clutch stop is seeking to resolve?

My 6MT is about the most perfect MT I've ever driven
Appreciate 0