F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brake rotor rust after putting on new pads????
GetBMWParts

12-29-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Brake rotor rust after putting on new pads????

For those of you followed my old post, you know I have squealing brakes for the rear. Therefore I bought a set of new textar pad but failed the installation. I accidentally step on the pedal cause piston go all the way out and I didn't have the compression tool to push them back in. I towed my car to the dealership and they installed it for me on the old 22000km rotors. But this happens after they install it.

Found out a day after. No squealing though. I took it back but they denied any liability. Told me it will go away after i drive more. Wtf. Bullsh1t. Only thing they can do is sell me new rotor. I used brake cleaner and wire brush, not getting it off.

What are my options? What is this ring? Rust? New rotor????

Comparison pic below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

It looks like your old pads carved part of the rotor, so now the new ones don't touch that area (or your new pads have a gouge out of them).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
It looks like your old pads carved part of the rotor, so now the new ones don't touch that area (or your new pads have a gouge out of them).
What are my options?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

It is either the pad or the rotor. Do you feel a ridge on the rotor when you scrape your nail across it? You can pull the pad out and see if it has a groove in it.

If the pad is fine, then you'd have to either live with it or swap the rotor. It does look like you are losing ~20% of the braking surface like that though.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
It is either the pad or the rotor. Do you feel a ridge on the rotor when you scrape your nail across it? You can pull the pad out and see if it has a groove in it.

If the pad is fine, then you'd have to either live with it or swap the rotor. It does look like you are losing ~20% of the braking surface like that though.
That area is rough
Appreciate 0