E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Cylinder Compression

12-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Cylinder Compression

My car is not running good eat at the moment. Heard a load "pop" last week and it won't run at WOT smoothly at the moment. Going into my indie shop next week with the holidays.

Took it to the dealership yesterday to get a quick view from their standpoint. No laughing. It was total BS.

Having said that, they told me they did a quick Running Compression Test between Cylinder 1 and Cylinder 6. They told me that Cylinder 1 had a Compression of 65psi and Cylinder 6 was at 25psi.

What do other people show as Compression readings? I thought they should be north of 100psi.

Before I jump off the deepens and think my engine is toast, what other things might explain this variance and is this fixable without gett My into engine replacement territory. I do have 260,000 kms on this baby.

Thanks,
      12-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Simply because your description of events is comparable to what happens when ones Chargepipe bites the dust, have you inspected it at all? Even if it's upgraded? I can't imagine too many things letting off a large "popping" sound and it not being related to your Chargepipe or some sort of Boost Leak.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post
Simply because your description of events is comparable to what happens when ones Chargepipe bites the dust, have you inspected it at all? Even if it's upgraded? I can't imagine too many things letting off a large "popping" sound and it not being related to your Chargepipe or some sort of Boost Leak.
That is what I am hoping for. Car hoes into indie shop next week for a thorough workover.
Appreciate 0