F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > "Sticky brakes" when start moving car after it have been sitting for a couple of days
Extreme Powerhouse

12-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Kardesken
Rep
Drives: 3 Series (F30)

"Sticky brakes" when start moving car after it have been sitting for a couple of days

The last couples of times I've started my car, there have been a metallic snapping sound when it starts moving. I also need a little power to get it rolling (the car have been parked for two days).
I would have understood this if I parked with the handbrake. But I have an automatic and park my car in a garage, so I only set the gear shifter in P.
I don't believe that this is the brakes sticking to the disc. But what could it be? And most important, do I need to worry?

BTW, I have a 3 series F30 (2012) with automatic transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #2
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Uncle had same problem with his Lotus Carlton, after a trip he'd park in the garage & brakes would stick solid, even had to call AA out couple of times. I think it's when the brakes are hot they sort of bind together, try not to use much braking 5 mins before you arrive home & see how you get on.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 07:11 PM   #3
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Mine does this after washing and leaving for a few days so the brakes bind on the rears, don't think its anything to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #4
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

I had this happened to me just 2 weekends ago when it rained heavily. I parked my car on Friday and the car stayed stationary on Monday when I put it in Reverse. I thought I put it in neutral by accident. I looked and sure enough I saw a "D" on the dash so I gave it some throttle and the car broke free with a slight jolt. The rust buildup on the rotors acted like glue and caused it to be glued to the brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
Kardesken
Rep
Drives: 3 Series (F30)

So the brakes do get stuck, even if you don't apply parking brake when you park the car?
If that's the case, I don't need to worry.
And btw, I did wash my car just before this happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Yeah it's no big deal, just the corrosion on the rotors and pads sticking together. Happens all the time, just apply the brakes in a spirited manner once or twice from regular speeds and it'll clear everything off.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
Boffroff
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xd

Hi, I've had this issue but if left for a week or so,it take about 50 miles of hard braking with a lot of vibration and judder till things start to get back to normal. Seems to have wrecked the discs too which I'm being advised to replace after 26k miles! Apparently the brakes sticking and the judder is normal and happens on all cars!!! Has anyone else had this issue and got anywhere with the dealer? Don't fancy replacing discs and pads ever 26k miles!
Appreciate 0