F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Car aligned....still pulling to the right
Studio RSR

01-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Car aligned....still pulling to the right

I installed Dinan lowering springs and bump stops yesterday and car was pulling to the right pretty good. I had the car aligned at the dealer today per Dinan specifications and car is still pulling to the right albeit not nearly as bad. Is there anything I should check out specifically or could this just be an issue with new springs needing to settle?

Here is the alignment data from dealer:

[IMG]http://d.pr/i/J6G5+[/IMG]
      01-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Check tire pressures first. If those are good, then rotate your tires. I'm willing to bet one of those two things solves your problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrabMafia View Post
Check tire pressures first. If those are good, then rotate your tires. I'm willing to bet one of those two things solves your problem.
I actually had the dealer rotate and balance the wheels/tires (square stock 18" wheels) before they did the alignment. They recommend running 38psi on all four tires so I said okay. Something about the listed tire pressures on the door jam are for car with full load.
      01-04-2017, 02:00 AM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

38 psi !

My F31 runs on 32 all round. 34 on the back if I'm carrying a fair bit of stuff in the boot.
I'd reckon the high pressures you're running, coupled with the camber, could well be causing the problem. I'd expect my car to pull to the left a bit if I was running that high.
Try dropping the pressures to 32 or 34 (check and adjust with cold tyres). You'll probably find it disappears AND you'll have a more comfortable ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Does it matter with these pressures that I'm running RFTs?
      01-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Does it matter with these pressures that I'm running RFTs?
My car is running those lower pressures on RFTs.

Try it. The ride will probably be a lot better AND it won't pull to the side.

You must remember though, you've just lowered the car - taking out suspension travel capacity, which destroys ride comfort, and makes a car far more 'twitchy' on the road. It might look nice, but it's not doing a damn thing worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 08:02 AM   #7
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Try the lower tire pressure first and see if that helps. Make sure you check the pressure when the tires are cold.

Also remember your tires have worn in at your previous ride height/alignment specs. You now have hose same tires on different specs so it may take a week for them to settle in.

If it's still pulling to the right after a week, I would take it back and have the alignment checked.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Try the lower tire pressure first and see if that helps. Make sure you check the pressure when the tires are cold.

Also remember your tires have worn in at your previous ride height/alignment specs. You now have hose same tires on different specs so it may take a week for them to settle in.

If it's still pulling to the right after a week, I would take it back and have the alignment checked.
This is what I thought might be part of issue although I just don't see that much of a wear difference being the problem. I have been more concerned that maybe one of the springs were installed wrong or something as I've read about this happening with the Dinan springs.
      01-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is what I thought might be part of issue although I just don't see that much of a wear difference being the problem. I have been more concerned that maybe one of the springs were installed wrong or something as I've read about this happening with the Dinan springs.
Rear springs are kinda hard to screw up, but it's possible the fronts are not seated correctly into the strut bearing. If that was the case though, I would assume the alignment would have been out.

Let it ride for a week and if it doesn't change, take it back and have them check their work.

P.S. Did you align the car directly after installing the springs or did you wait a week and then get the alignment?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Rear springs are kinda hard to screw up, but it's possible the fronts are not seated correctly into the strut bearing. If that was the case though, I would assume the alignment would have been out.

Let it ride for a week and if it doesn't change, take it back and have them check their work.

P.S. Did you align the car directly after installing the springs or did you wait a week and then get the alignment?
I installed the springs then drove about 60 miles the next day and had it aligned.
      01-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #11
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I installed the springs then drove about 60 miles the next day and had it aligned.
It's possible the front springs weren't seated properly prior to the alignment and then settled into position afterwards throwing the alignment off.

Just a random theory though.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It's possible the front springs weren't seated properly prior to the alignment and then settled into position afterwards throwing the alignment off.

Just a random theory though.
I'm taking it back to the dealer this afternoon. The steering wheel looks like it's off center just a little bit. SA said he'll send tech with me on test drive to show him.
      01-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #13
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Alignment done at the dealer is hit more miss. I am never doing my alignment at the dealer again! I paid over $200 to have my alignment done at the dealer. After going back the 4th time cause they just couldn't center the steering wheel and shop foreman was feeding me crap about how that is how BMW designed the car, I gave up and found an indy. 60 bucks later, I was straight as an arrow. Alignments done at the dealer is a complete waste of money. It's not rocket science.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #14
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Maybe you over-tightened the top hats
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #15
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a short video clip.

http://d.pr/v/lfzV
      01-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Too short. It shows nothing in all of it's 2 seconds. Even if it did show more, nobody knows the camber on the road, or any of the other factors which could affect things.

Have you adjusted the tyre pressures yet ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #17
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Quote:

Too short. It shows nothing in all of it's 2 seconds. Even if it did show more, nobody knows the camber on the road, or any of the other factors which could affect things.

Have you adjusted the tyre pressures yet ?
With the drop in temperatures today TPMS went off saying all 4 tires were low so I set them all at 32psi...didn't really seem to affect issue.
      01-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #18
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 LCI View Post
Maybe you over-tightened the top hats
Are you talking about pre-loading the springs?
      01-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #19
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Are you talking about pre-loading the springs?
On my old E90 when we tightened the top bolt on the strut mount it was way too tight. The car pulled to whatever side I fully turned the wheel to after straightening out
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #20
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Video shows a lot. With Steering straight car pulls right..way right. He has to hang the steering wheel off center to the left for the car to track straight. That drives me insane! Find an indy alignment shop that know what they are doing. In some cases, the steering wheel was not perfectly straight when the alignment was done. This can cause the alignment to be within spec, but steering wheel off-center.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:05 PM   #21
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Go back to your alignment printout. The actual readings are "after" the tech finished. You will notice that the "cross camber" readings are out of spec shown on the right side. More than .5 degrees will cause a pull. Your left negitive camber in causing the pull. The rear readings are good and not the cause.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #22
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
Go back to your alignment printout. The actual readings are "after" the tech finished. You will notice that the "cross camber" readings are out of spec shown on the right side. More than .5 degrees will cause a pull. Your left negitive camber in causing the pull. The rear readings are good and not the cause.
Forgive my ignorance but how is that corrected? Only the toe is adjustable is it not? Shouldn't the Dinan spring setup not cause anything that would require camber plates?