THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Can anyone shed light on this headlight anomaly?

01-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Can anyone shed light on this headlight anomaly?

I posted here as this isn't a lighting modification nor cosmetics issue. This would be a maintenance/repair issue.

I had a headlamp replaced after a dance with a doe on a nice twisty back road in CT. Yay. (The deer lived... wasn't a major impact.) This is a brand new headlamp assembly - housing, bulbs... the whole thing replaced.

Get a load of the "blown-out" light pattern for the driver's side. In some ways it's nice - it throws a lot of light to the left. But... it also causes folks to flash their brights at me. As I drive around, I do see a bright spot way up high on houses & in the trees. (But as you can see in the pics, this is not an aiming issue - the bottom of the pattern is even with the psgr side.)

First pic is the pattern with the OEM headlamp.

Second pic is the new headlamp, low beam.

Third pic is the new headlamp, high beam.

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on what might be going wrong here. Nothing with regards to the headlamps has been coded. This is post install by the body shop, and a new BMW headlight assy was installed on the car. They're also looking into it as they can plainly see there is an issue. I am just curious. And impatient. LOL

I am thinking there is something wrong with the internal shutter mechanism. As you can see the light pattern is "blown out" - but also note the very little change from low to high beam. (I actually had a similar problem on my Range Rover Evoque - the shutters that control the beam pattern & high/low beams were defective.)

Thanks!
Jim
Attached Images

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies

Last edited by MASHCT; 01-05-2017 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Add pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65 View Post
I posted here as this isn't a lighting modification nor cosmetics issue. This would be a maintenance/repair issue.

I had a headlamp replaced after a dance with a doe on a nice twisty back road in CT. Yay. (The deer lived... wasn't a major impact.) This is a brand new headlamp assembly - housing, bulbs... the whole thing replaced.

Get a load of the "blown-out" light pattern for the driver's side. In some ways it's nice - it throws a lot of light to the left. But... it also causes folks to flash their brights at me. As I drive around, I do see a bright spot way up high on houses & in the trees. (But as you can see in the pics, this is not an aiming issue - the bottom of the pattern is even with the psgr side.)

First pic is the pattern with the OEM headlamp.

Second pic is the new headlamp, low beam.

Third pic is the new headlamp, high beam.

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on what might be going wrong here. Nothing with regards to the headlamps has been coded. This is post install by the body shop, and a new BMW headlight assy was installed on the car. They're also looking into it as they can plainly see there is an issue. I am just curious. And impatient. LOL

I am thinking there is something wrong with the internal shutter mechanism. As you can see the light pattern is "blown out" - but also note the very little change from low to high beam. (I actually had a similar problem on my Range Rover Evoque - the shutters that control the beam pattern & high/low beams were defective.)

Thanks!
Jim
Drivers side lamp should be dipped slightly compared to the passenger side. I adjusted mine up slightly because BMW sets them to low from the factory. I marked mine before adjusting and the drivers side was slightly lower.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Check that your bulb is seated correctly
Appreciate 1
MASHCT543.00
      01-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

The light bolts into a bunch of thin metal under the bumper and around the radiator. If you hit a deer hard enough to break the light, this may have bent a tab. Body shop may have missed it.

IF it is vertical you can adjust with a Phillips, if horizontal, a tab or mount is improperly located changing the angle of light projection.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #5
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
Check that your bulb is seated correctly
Forgot to do an update. Body shop had me bring the car in (soon after my post) & sure enough - this was the issue. They fixed it for me.
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65 View Post
Forgot to do an update. Body shop had me bring the car in (soon after my post) & sure enough - this was the issue. They fixed it for me.
Glad to hear that it was a simple fix
Appreciate 1
MASHCT543.00