F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Warranty question
Extreme Powerhouse

01-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
deepghosh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i

Warranty question

Hey guys,

I am thinking about purchasing the M Performance Suspension kit for my 2013 335i. My question is does a BMW dealership have to complete the installation in order for the suspension to be under warranty? Or can I take it to an indy shop and still retain warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
mitch625
Clean Freak!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i

The dealership will have to do the installation for there to be a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepghosh View Post
Hey guys,

I am thinking about purchasing the M Performance Suspension kit for my 2013 335i. My question is does a BMW dealership have to complete the installation in order for the suspension to be under warranty? Or can I take it to an indy shop and still retain warranty?
The warranty information is on the bottom of the BMW M Performance suspension data sheet:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRINT/4498

Is your vehicle RWD or xDrive (AWD)? There are many other suspension upgrade options from Bilstein and KW (offering lifetime warranty).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepghosh View Post
Hey guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch625 View Post
The dealership will have to do the installation for there to be a warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
The warranty information is on the bottom of the BMW M Performance suspension data sheet:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRINT/4498

Is your vehicle RWD or xDrive (AWD)? There are many other suspension upgrade options from Bilstein and KW (offering lifetime warranty).
I don't really understand why anyone is that concerned with a warranty on "wearable" suspension components.

I can see significant and valid concerns about powertrain modifications and retaining factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Because the problems happen if, for example, the aftermarket suspension setup causes damage to components of the drivetrain.

BMW say "Its down to the lowered/stiffened setup you've got, and we aren't going to cover it. Here's a huge bill"

BMW dealership installs BMW approved suspension upgrade, no such problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I don't really understand why anyone is that concerned with a warranty on "wearable" suspension components.

I can see significant and valid concerns about powertrain modifications and retaining factory warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Because the problems happen if, for example, the aftermarket suspension setup causes damage to components of the drivetrain.

BMW say "Its down to the lowered/stiffened setup you've got, and we aren't going to cover it. Here's a huge bill"

BMW dealership installs BMW approved suspension upgrade, no such problems.
It's somewhat hard to f up a suspension install for a BMW branded M Performance Suspension kit and not notice the problem immediately afterwards or during the alignment process. If it's installed improperly, have the installer fix it. I find it very difficult to believe that a BMW designed aftermarket suspension kit with a very mild drop is going to cause damage to other components in the vehicle.

I'm skeptical of relying on any BMW warranty on a wearable item (brakes, suspension, etc.).

Also, you do realize the labor hours involved for a suspension install are generally significant...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

BMW aren't warranting any wearable item - they're warranting the items attached to, and potentially impacted by, the wearable item.

If you get a MPPK suspension upgrade, and fit it yourself (or get an independent to fit it), and a few months later the top hat rips out and ends up taking half a driveshaft with it, then BMW will happily tell you to do one. Your (or the fitting garage's) incompetence in fitting would be viewed as causing the damage to the warrantied component, and it'd be up to you to prove that the failure was not caused by that, and was down to BMW's original parts supplied failing.
If, on the other hand, the BMW dealer fits it, then it would be fully covered by your warranty.
It's all about maintaining the chain of liability, and making your own life one hell of a lot easier if something does go wrong. Get one company to supply and fit, and that one company becomes liable.
But hell, you pay your money, you take your choice. Spend a bit more and remain fully covered, or save a bit and have a complete nightmare trying to get it sorted if something goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
BMW aren't warranting any wearable item - they're warranting the items attached to, and potentially impacted by, the wearable item.

If you get a MPPK suspension upgrade, and fit it yourself (or get an independent to fit it), and a few months later the top hat rips out and ends up taking half a driveshaft with it, then BMW will happily tell you to do one. Your (or the fitting garage's) incompetence in fitting would be viewed as causing the damage to the warrantied component, and it'd be up to you to prove that the failure was not caused by that, and was down to BMW's original parts supplied failing.
If, on the other hand, the BMW dealer fits it, then it would be fully covered by your warranty.
It's all about maintaining the chain of liability, and making your own life one hell of a lot easier if something does go wrong. Get one company to supply and fit, and that one company becomes liable.
But hell, you pay your money, you take your choice. Spend a bit more and remain fully covered, or save a bit and have a complete nightmare trying to get it sorted if something goes wrong.
They wouldn't warranty that because they would consider that a collision - likely a pot hole or curb strike. They'll tell you to contact your insurance company even if they are the BMW dealer that installed it.

The BMW M Performance Suspension kit is a well designed suspension kit. It's not going to fail months later unless you're talking about a collision related failure. If something's wrong with it, you'll notice immediately after the install in which case you need to take the car back to the installer and have them fix the problem.

In the scenario you've given, you'll just spent more money but you'd still have the same nightmare which is BMW pointing the fingers at someone/something else.

Last edited by Polo08816; 01-13-2017 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0