F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > What pads to get? Caliper seize Q..
Studio RSR

01-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Tokneee!
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

What pads to get? Caliper seize Q..

So it's been really rainy lately and today my car started making this squealing/screeching sound as I drove. Sounded like metal on metal and was more noticeable when there were imperfections in the road. Did a few hard stops to break anything free...

I then sprayed down my front brake caliper with brake cleaner. Eventually as I drove I heard a metal clunk as if something broke free. Could that have been my caliper that seized? The noise is gone now which is good.

I'm also looking for new pads as mine are close to done. Pad material is about the same size as the backing plate of it. I've got the grey calipers 2 piston front. Car is a sportline that came with 19" wheels. I've read all the pads are the same size/shape among the 335i correct? Looking at Hawk or Akebono ceramic. What are you guys running?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Maybe a small rock got stuck between the shield and rotor?

Two piston front is the same pad shape as any of the other colored calipers on the F chassis. A good street pad that dust slightly less but still provide better brake torque than OE would be Stoptech Sport or Porterfield R4-S just to name a couple. There are many others out there with similar characteristics.
Appreciate 0