E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Oil Leak at Filter Housing Gasket (opps - should be in the N54 Section)

01-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Oil Leak at Filter Housing Gasket (opps - should be in the N54 Section)

Hey guys (and gals),

My indy informed me that I have a few small oil leaks, but that the one at the oil filter housing gasket is becoming an issue. I checked the front of the block and there's clearly a leak somewhere, but the mechanic says its 4 hours labor to do the oil filter housing gasket.

For those of you who have done this job,

(1) does 4 hours seem reasonable?? I would have guessed 2 at most..

(2) if I loosen the intake manifold rather than remove it entirely, can i gain enough access to get the oil filter housing out - or is this one of those things that looks good on paper, but ends-up costing time in reality?

(3) since I had a walnut blast 2 years ago, would I want to take out the intake manifold and replace the gasket set -- I'm thinking little if any benefit, but an extra effort that doesn't make much sense?

(4) other than oil filter gasket, coolant o ring, oil and coolant, what do I need on hand to finish the job?

Thanks for your comments guys.

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0