THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB 60,000 km / 37,000 miles services

01-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
60,000 km / 37,000 miles services

Hi guys,

Before I take the car into the shop for maintenance, I just want to check if I am covering everything I have to do.

Service history:
7,700 miles - Oil flush, oil/interior filter replacement
8,800 miles - Minor service
18,600 miles - Oil flush, oil/interior filter replacement
27,500 miles - Oil flush, oil/interior filter replacement, brake pads front/rear replacement, brake fluid replacement, wheel alignment, tire balancing, air-conditioning service (vacuum/refill), brake rotor check (OK, not replaced)

So I was thinking:
- Oil flush
- Oil/interior filter replacement
- Engine intake filter replacement
- Spark plug replacement
- Wheel alignment
- Tire balancing

I've also recently gotten my performance mods (CP, DP and JB4), so I'm not sure if there's anything else I should take into account.

Car is running fine and I would very much like to keep it that way (I bought it, it's not a leased car)

Thanks!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Bump, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Looking Good

As I first read where you were replacing the spark plugs at 37K miles I was thinking that was early but then I saw you have the JB4 --- this is good.
With tuning I believe that all the maintenance intervals should be nearly cut in half over standard BMW recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Where are u located ?

A/C vacuate and refill seems unnecessary at 27k miles.

For alignment and balance, are tire's showing premature wear or is the car pulling?

When you say oil flush, do you mean drain or a flush machine or chemical flush and refill ? Because drain is O.K. but flush is questionable.

Spark plugs I think are rated to 100,000 (need to verify that) but I'd do at 50,000. As posted above if tune requires change as low as 37,000 do it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
As I first read where you were replacing the spark plugs at 37K miles I was thinking that was early but then I saw you have the JB4 --- this is good.
With tuning I believe that all the maintenance intervals should be nearly cut in half over standard BMW recommendations.
I was already planning to do this before getting a tune As I said, I bought the car, I'm not leasing it. So I want to keep it in top shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Where are u located ?

A/C vacuate and refill seems unnecessary at 27k miles.

For alignment and balance, are tire's showing premature wear or is the car pulling?

When you say oil flush, do you mean drain or a flush machine or chemical flush and refill ? Because drain is O.K. but flush is questionable.

Spark plugs I think are rated to 100,000 (need to verify that) but I'd do at 50,000. As posted above if tune requires change as low as 37,000 do it.
I'm located in the Netherlands.

No, it's not pulling, but I have to traverse bad terrain with the car sometimes (very bumpy). I suspect this will have an impact on the alignment over time?

Yes, it probably wasn't necessary at the time, but it can't really hurt now can it? The AC did smell a tad bit better after it was done though

Sorry, I meant "oil change". I don't know the exact method as I let the shop do it, but they do it in the same way the dealer would. So I'm guessing drain and refill.

Any other suggestions?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

If your manual transmission then a trans fluid drain and refill - but you could also wait till 50,000 miles, same with rear diff.
I'd do the wheel alignment (but if tires are wearing normal, that would include a bit of excessive front outside shoulder wear then I question an alignment ) but with tire balance do you think you rotated tire on wheel or banged wheel hard enough or lost wheel weights to need a balance ?

When will you need new tire's? That may negate balance at this time.

Car may not need as mush service as you think - did you get a service booklet with recommended intervals ?

If your at 37,000 miles then things like battery, water pump, alternator are things that should be inspected and listened to but don't obsess over them - just inspection should be fine. Also the read driveshaft rubber boots and steering rack rubber boots should be inspected for tears. Then from ball joints and wheel bearings should be shaken to listen for excessive play. Then an inspection of brake lines, exhaust, corrosion and any leaks under car. Really visual inspection is a major maintenance procedures at your mileage.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
If your manual transmission then a trans fluid drain and refill - but you could also wait till 50,000 miles, same with rear diff.
I'd do the wheel alignment (but if tires are wearing normal, that would include a bit of excessive front outside shoulder wear then I question an alignment ) but with tire balance do you think you rotated tire on wheel or banged wheel hard enough or lost wheel weights to need a balance ?

When will you need new tire's? That may negate balance at this time.

Car may not need as mush service as you think - did you get a service booklet with recommended intervals ?

If your at 37,000 miles then things like battery, water pump, alternator are things that should be inspected and listened to but don't obsess over them - just inspection should be fine. Also the read driveshaft rubber boots and steering rack rubber boots should be inspected for tears. Then from ball joints and wheel bearings should be shaken to listen for excessive play. Then an inspection of brake lines, exhaust, corrosion and any leaks under car. Really visual inspection is a major maintenance procedures at your mileage.
I have the 8-speed ZF transmission. I was thinking of visiting a ZF service center in Germany when the car/transmission has about 50.000 miles on it for a full check up.

Unfortunately, yes, I've seen some pretty bad terrain with the car and unfortunately also on a fairly regular basis. I take it very slow and easy on that terrain, but I can't avoid it alltogether (work...). So I'd rather ensure that everything is properly balanced. It doesn't cost that much anyways.

My summers are basically brand new. Winters wear very slowly and don't need replacement anytime soon it seems.

No, I've been looking for this, but I can't find it.

EDIT: Did some digging and as usual, the Dutch website of BMW offers me nothing, but the US website did.

So final summary:
- Replace Interior/Micro ventilation filter
- Replace Intake Air filter
- Replace Engine Oil filter
- Replace/Drain Engine Oil
- Replace all six spark plugs
- Check brake disc surface/thickness, replace if required
- Align wheels
- Balance tires

I think that about covers it for this service round

Last edited by wjjkoevoets; 02-06-2017 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0