F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > I hit a curb PLEASE HELP
Extreme Powerhouse

01-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
AZOOZ_95
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 328i M-Sport

Unhappy I hit a curb PLEASE HELP

Today I hit a curb with my front right tire, and I had to change my tire. Nothing happened to the rim, but when i took it in for an alignment (Because the steering wheel wasn't straight anymore) that front right side had -1.5 degree camber, they fixed all the cars alignment except for the front right side, the guy said that the strut might have bent and thats why its -1.5. When driving the car at 100 km/h and above the steering felt weird, do you guys think thats because of -1.5 of camber? Or is it because there is something else thats broken? Do you guys think it might actually be the strut only, or something else as well, and how would i make sure of whats wrong exactly?

My car has 18" rims and has h&r lowering springs

Thanks in advance

Last edited by AZOOZ_95; 01-25-2017 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

This link will provide you with a PDF (that you can save and print) about DIAGNOSING A BENT STEERING KNUCKLE USING ALIGNMENT DATA.
I-CAR provides training and certification materials for autobody repair technicians. This is detailed but should help you or your tech diagnose the problem using proven check methods. This also describes checking the strut assembly. At the end of the article you will be using the "MacPherson Strut Suspension" charts for your diagnosis.

http://lusequip.com/site/1212late/SAI_Diagnosis.pdf

I taught Automotive Technology for 40+ years and also was a certified Multiple ASE Master Technician (including Auto Body and Paint) and I-CAR instructor.
Let me know if I can be of any additional help.
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2017, 12:20 AM   #3
AZOOZ_95
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
This link will provide you with a PDF (that you can save and print) about DIAGNOSING A BENT STEERING KNUCKLE USING ALIGNMENT DATA.
I-CAR provides training and certification materials for autobody repair technicians. This is detailed but should help you or your tech diagnose the problem using proven check methods. This also describes checking the strut assembly. At the end of the article you will be using the "MacPherson Strut Suspension" charts for your diagnosis.

http://lusequip.com/site/1212late/SAI_Diagnosis.pdf

I taught Automotive Technology for 40+ years and also was a certified Multiple ASE Master Technician (including Auto Body and Paint) and I-CAR instructor.
Let me know if I can be of any additional help.

Thanks

This is what i got from the shop yesterday, let me know if this means anything to you. I really appreciate the help

Last edited by AZOOZ_95; 01-26-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The picture of the alignment screen is a start in the diagnosis, but it does not show SAI (Steering Axis Inclination) and Included Angle measurements. These two readings would help you use the DIAGNOSING A BENT STEERING KNUCKLE USING ALIGNMENT DATA PDF

The screen picture does verify that there is too much negative camber on the right front wheel. The difference between right and left readings is what is causing your "weird feeling" when driving. Maximum specification for "Cross Camber" or difference is 0.5 degrees. The screen shows yours currently as 0.9 degrees. Usually this large difference will cause the vehicle to pull to one direction on a level road. Your larger negative camber on the right should be making the vehicle pull to the left. This is like leaning a bicycle to the left which directs the bike to the left. You probably have to hold the steering wheel slightly to the right to drive straight on a level road.

Follow the Diagnosis PDF and you will discover the cause for the camber change. You must take additional alignment measurements (SAI and Included Angle readings). Also follow the visual inspection on page 2 and measurements shown in figure 6 (page 2).
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 01:27 AM   #5
Joe_E
Captain
Rep
Drives: FBO 328i

I've read that our cars (f30s) can't get more than roughly -.9 of camber in the front, so maybe something needs to be replaced.
      01-27-2017, 02:36 AM   #6
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZOOZ_95 View Post
Today I hit a curb with my front right tire, and I had to change my tire. Nothing happened to the rim, but when i took it in for an alignment (Because the steering wheel wasn't straight anymore) that front right side had -1.5 degree camber, they fixed all the cars alignment except for the front right side, the guy said that the strut might have bent and thats why its -1.5. When driving the car at 100 km/h and above the steering felt weird, do you guys think thats because of -1.5 of camber? Or is it because there is something else thats broken? Do you guys think it might actually be the strut only, or something else as well, and how would i make sure of whats wrong exactly?

My car has 18" rims and has h&r lowering springs

Thanks in advance
Better than hitting a Camel (was going to say moose until I saw your location).
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #7
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_E
I've read that our cars (f30s) can't get more than roughly -.9 of camber in the front, so maybe something needs to be replaced.
I think that you are correct. He should be able determine the bent part following the PDF and getting additional alignment data.
Appreciate 1