E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Dinan Stage 2 Tune Vs BMS Stage 1

01-27-2017, 02:36 AM   #1
E92_Baker
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335XI E92

Dinan Stage 2 Tune Vs BMS Stage 1

Hello!!

I currently have a BMS stage 1 tune for my 335i, while its been good I want more power. Now Dinan was always out of the question.. until now. They are selling there stage 2 tune for $650. Which is really cheap for there product.

Before anyone tells me neither and says go MHD... I have a 2013 e92 and I don't feel like dealing with the headache of doing a bench flash and what not, to much work!! So can anyone chime in and give me any advice on whether the Dinan Stage 2 is better than the BMS Stage 1.

Thanks!!

2013 E92 335I XDRIVE SPACE GREY, BMS INTAKE, JB4, MUFFLER DELETE, 19''CSL REPS, H&R SPORT SPRINGS, BLACK KIDNEY GRILL, M3 HIGH-KICK SPOILER. (MORE MODS COMING SOON)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI Sedan

If I was in your boat I'd go Dinan. I looked at them hard before I went MHD. I only spent half that $650 for MHD but I had a apt for Dinan when it was $1300, then changed my mind. I'm no back on the fence again with the $650 deal. Reason being having to flash back and forth with MHD when I have to go in for service. The 30 minuets( 1 hr total) and hooking up a battery tender it takes to flash from stock back to Stg1+ and vice versa is a PIA as I have to be home to do all this. :/, guess I was spoiled with ECUTEK on my Infiniti as it only took like 5-8 minuets to go back to stock and back to my flash, and didn't need a battery tender, so I could do it anywhere

And isn't STG2 Dinan the same power levels as STG1+ MHD?

Last edited by ANMVQ; 01-27-2017 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

I would go with the JB4 over both of those options.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

100% JB4
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #5
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_Baker View Post
Hello!!

I currently have a BMS stage 1 tune for my 335i, while its been good I want more power. Now Dinan was always out of the question.. until now. They are selling there stage 2 tune for $650. Which is really cheap for there product.

Before anyone tells me neither and says go MHD... I have a 2013 e92 and I don't feel like dealing with the headache of doing a bench flash and what not, to much work!! So can anyone chime in and give me any advice on whether the Dinan Stage 2 is better than the BMS Stage 1.

Thanks!!
I honestly do not view the Bench flash as too much work, it takes about a half hour and you can either install or uninstall when you want with MHD or Cobb and I'm sure that either or both give just as much performance hp/tq gains as the BMS.

Seeing that your car is relatively new or still under warranty the JB4 is definitely not the option for you if you are concerned with taking it in for service and the BMW Stealership's Mechanics discovering that you have it there which may negate/void some or all of your warranty claims for work.

Personally I'd go MHD or Dinan or Cobb in your situation given how much warranty you have left.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to roll with.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
aaron_
Captain
Rep
Drives: E93 335i LCI

My opinion - avoid jb4 like the plague!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #7
E92_Baker
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the insight guys!! Thats the thing is I still have a CPO warranty and if i have the Dinan they don't void any warranty. So its almost worth it. And besides it $200 more than the JB4. And I'm not going to be running a downpipe/meth/e85 or any of that. I just want a aggressive daily tune and I feel that Dinan can give me that. So I'm going to go with the Stage 2 Dinan and see how it goes, I can't imagine it would be worse than the stage 1 I'm running now.

I think the JB4 great if you already are out of warranty, or your wanting to do full bolt on and e85/meth but for me I just want a aggressive daily driver.

2013 E92 335I XDRIVE SPACE GREY, BMS INTAKE, JB4, MUFFLER DELETE, 19''CSL REPS, H&R SPORT SPRINGS, BLACK KIDNEY GRILL, M3 HIGH-KICK SPOILER. (MORE MODS COMING SOON)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Set your expectations with DINAN. For the money, it's a conservative tune. You'll get power, but you'll also get a warranty- hence the hefty price.

Warranty territory with DINAN is a slippery slope. it is highly unlikely anything will go wrong, as it is a conservative tune, but if it does, there have been stories of back-and-forth between DINAN and BMW as to where the fault lies.

Trust me, I'm a DINAN stage 3 guy

That said, DINAN has always been supportive of all of my equipment, even some that have been well past the warranty.

I also go to a DINAN dealer for any of those concerns, so I'm pretty well set on that front.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 05:20 PM   #9
nOEMm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Set your expectations with DINAN. For the money, it's a conservative tune. You'll get power, but you'll also get a warranty- hence the hefty price.

Warranty territory with DINAN is a slippery slope. it is highly unlikely anything will go wrong, as it is a conservative tune, but if it does, there have been stories of back-and-forth between DINAN and BMW as to where the fault lies.

That said, DINAN has always been supportive of all of my equipment, even some that have been well past the warranty.

I also go to a DINAN dealer for any of those concerns, so I'm pretty well set on that front.

How do you like your S3 tune? Have you ever tried something else and compared (i.e. Cobb, jb4).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #10
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nOEMm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post

How do you like your S3 tune? Have you ever tried something else and compared (i.e. Cobb, jb4).
Oh I think it's plenty for what I do brother.

I've never tried any other tune, because that would involve me erasing the DINAN tune, which I didn't want to do.

On a few occasions, some of my buddies with JB4 tunes had told me I could utilize it for logging etc., in conjunction with my DINAN flash, but I didn't really interest me at the time, especially with having a P3 gauge that told me most of the stuff that was of interest to me.

Perhaps one of these days I just might go that route and get rid of the stage III flash all together, but not sure when.

On the upswing, I have all kinds of supporting mods, like an upgraded intercooler, oil cooler, M3 bushings, free flow black diamond exhaust, rear sway bar, and a limited slip differential.

Looking back, I feel that I had probably spent way too much money for the end result on the power band, but being able to go into a dealership and get any kind of service I need- including warranty service in two instances- was a comfort at the time.

I know there were plenty of cheaper bangs for your buck power options out there, but getting the whole package, along with supporting hardware was what I was going for at the time.

I suppose I achieved that, at whatever price.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I would get the JB4 ... It costs less and you get a lot more value

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
tunachris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92

Garage List
2010 E92  [0.00]
I fried a turbo a few years back with a piggyback tune. I have had a Dinan stage 2 now for 4 years. It isn't the most radical tune out there by any means, but it seems to be a safer tune. I have never gone into limp mode due to the tune. I could go to a stage 3 now, thanks to supporting mods I have added, but hardly seems worth it for another 10 or so HP.

My car is plenty fast these days, and I like the idea that I'm not pushing it to the limit. At the lower price, it really is a good deal. If nothing else, Dinan is a well engineered tune, and having a back-up warranty can only help.
      02-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #13
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I had the Dinan 2, then 3. While the hp difference is not great, the stage 3 provides the torque across a wider area. The stage 2 has a steeper slope giving the butt dyno boot, then peters out sooner. Then I had the Pure 1 and 2 with the Dinan stage 3 before going with JB4 and port injection. Unless an owner is paranoid of a warranty or CPO being denied the Dinan stuff is not worth it. More power can be had with JB4. Get the Bluetooth as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Got an appointment to get my stage 2 flash tomorrow! I'm going from PPK to Dinan, so I'll let you all know how different it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:25 AM   #15
E92_Baker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Got an appointment to get my stage 2 flash tomorrow! I'm going from PPK to Dinan, so I'll let you all know how different it is.
Ok do that report back with your impressions!!

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #16
E92_Baker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie335i View Post
I had the Dinan 2, then 3. While the hp difference is not great, the stage 3 provides the torque across a wider area. The stage 2 has a steeper slope giving the butt dyno boot, then peters out sooner. Then I had the Pure 1 and 2 with the Dinan stage 3 before going with JB4 and port injection. Unless an owner is paranoid of a warranty or CPO being denied the Dinan stuff is not worth it. More power can be had with JB4. Get the Bluetooth as well.
I know.. Everyone raves about the JB4. Its tempting, its the warranty stuff that makes me iffy.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #17
E92_Baker
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunachris View Post
I fried a turbo a few years back with a piggyback tune. I have had a Dinan stage 2 now for 4 years. It isn't the most radical tune out there by any means, but it seems to be a safer tune. I have never gone into limp mode due to the tune. I could go to a stage 3 now, thanks to supporting mods I have added, but hardly seems worth it for another 10 or so HP.

My car is plenty fast these days, and I like the idea that I'm not pushing it to the limit. At the lower price, it really is a good deal. If nothing else, Dinan is a well engineered tune, and having a back-up warranty can only help.
So the stage 2, is it as aggressive as the JB4? In your opinion? Nobody seems to go nuts over the dinan. They say its good but nobody says it great.

All tell you this I used to have a 2011 e90 with the cobb ap3 and a pro tune from pro running freaks and that thing would pull!! I just want to find something similar to that.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:10 AM   #18
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

You've spent a fair bit of money on your car... if you want the best deal in the long term you should reconsider MHD.
Unlike Dinan, it'll have constant updates and extra features, you can switch maps as you please, adjust exhaust burble and whatever else they'll add in future.

And I don't see a chargepipe in your mods list. It's necessary for any tune IMO. It only took the BMW PPK to make mine explode.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #19
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_Baker View Post
Ok do that report back with your impressions!!
Got moved to Monday morning because their only Dinan guy isn't around until then. Didn't know they even have a specific Dinan person! I'll be back....
Appreciate 1
ANMVQ113.50
      02-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #20
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunachris View Post

I've been fortunate it seems to have cured the "Limp Mode" bug that was plaguing my car/tune before I bought my Oil Sport Valve and been using e85.

I'd highly recommend getting one even if you aren't getting anymore issues with going into Limp Mode:

https://www.urotuning.com/Burger-Mot...cXwaAm918P8HAQ
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #21
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Just got back from getting my tune.

Impressions:

1. The torque is amazing! Put it into 3rd on the highway and accelerate. You'll be blown away at how effortless it is, and how the car just wants to keep going. My 335i feels like a little rocket.

2. If you had the BMW PPK2, you will lose the engine overrun pops. The car still makes nice pops and burbles, but it's not as often or loud as PPK2. A small price to pay for such a huge increase in the driving experience.

3. The power delivery is smooth. It feels just like the factory.

4. Throttle response has noticeably increased

Other than that, there's not much else to say. It's a great tune! I'm sure there are other things being done behind the scenes, but that's the other part I'm paying for - the R&D, warranty, and knowledge that the stock parts are capable of handling it.

How's it compare to MHD or JB4? Couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that I'm very happy with it, and have always wanted a Dinan tune. If you've ever wanted one, now's no better time. The offer expires at the end of February.

The total cost out the door was $883.45:

Tune: $669
Labor: $145
Shop fee: $14.50
+ Taxes

I had no choice but to go to a BMW dealer near me and pay those prices, so if you want it done cheaper, I'd recommend an independent shop.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 02-06-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
ANMVQ113.50
      02-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #22
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

yep happy with my Dinan stuff and that is a killer price with the sale they are running
Appreciate 0