BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Quick Test Drive and Review

01-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quick Test Drive and Review

I drove a 540i xDrive this morning for about 30 minutes. Combo backroads and highway. The car was well equipped with a $72.5k MSRP, but it had neither the MSport or Dynamic Handling Package. Black over Black Dakota.

I liked the car a lot. The most noticeable thing for me was reduced weight. Now I'm comparing the car to my current S6 and my former F10 M5. Those cars are in the 4400 - 4500 pound range. I'm guessing the 540 is closer to 4000 pounds. It makes a difference. I drove entirely in Sport Plus mode and found the steering to be heavy, but precise. Flicking the wheel back and forth on the highway was almost fun. It's a definite upgrade from the F10. The ride was comfortable, not floaty at all and not harsh, even in Sport Plus (although I don't think there's any adjustability of the damping without Dynamic Handling). The car was pretty quiet, but there's more wind noise around the windows and rear view mirror than I would have liked.

Taking a very long, sweeping exit ramp was very telling to me. The ramp is part of every test drive that I do. The speed limit is 45 mph, and with slowly increasing acceleration, the 540 got up to 84 before my butt-meter told me the nannies were about to cut in. That's pretty good. However, there was considerable body roll. I was hanging on a bit, planting my left leg to keep my body pressed into the right side bolster. It was the only truly negative thing about the drive, and I think would be mitigated or eliminated with the Active Roll Stability part of the Dynamic Handling Package.

I felt that the power was fine - absolutely adequate, but not prodigious. If I buy this car, I will seriously consider the M Performance Power upgrade.

Everyone has talked about the car's aesthetics, so I purposely left it to last. I was very surprised by how much I liked the look of the car. To my eye, the dimensions look tidier than the F10's. I thought I'd absolutely hate the new grille, but found it's not that offensive. I may even grow to like it. The interior dimensions do not feel very different from the F10's. The cowl seems lower and the dash feels closer to the windshield. I liked that. the front comfort seats are the usually BMW awesome. There may be a smidge more rear seat room, but the rear seat itself is definitely set lower than the F10's. You kind of fall into the seat. I didn't like that.

Interior design is BMW evolutionary and "handsome". There are no great design risks or "wow" factors. I like the E-class's design more, but tactilely, the BMW's interior quality feels much better. I was surprised by how much better the Dakota leather looks and feels. It's not Nappa or Marino, but for some reason, it feels more acceptable than before. The sensatec dash is an upgrade and its texture matches the Dakota leather, but I think it would really stand out (in a negative way) with Nappa leather seats. BMW really needs a true smooth leather dash option for this car.

Overall, I really like the new 540. It's a definite step forward and has no serious flaws - except maybe the price. I always end up with over-spec'ed cars, but even so, I build a well equipped 540i xDrive at almost $80k. I'd be knocking $85k if I go with the M Performance Power kit. That's a lot of bread for a 540 . . .

Last edited by hinckley; 01-28-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-28-2017, 12:15 PM   #2
Shakespere
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 530D xdrive

thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Nice review!

I'll just kind of add on to this instead of creating a new thread, but I took a 540i xDrive for a 20 minute drive this morning (Bill Jacobs BMW in Naperville has two G30's - a white 530i MSport (don't know if x or no), and a dark graphite 540i xDrive). I drove the 540. I think I prefer dark colors on these cars, since they accept the black colored trim pieces better on the M Sports (and black grilles will help stop them from being in your face all the time).

MSRP was 70 even, with the M Sport, Premium, Cold, Driver's Assistance, and some other options. (Had the HUD, but no soft close doors, etc). No VDC or Dynamic Handling (I'm not sure if they are compatible with M Sport or not).

Ultimately, I came away very impressed, and the G30 will be my next car (M550i if i can hold out that long).

DRIVE:

Miles better than the '16 535i M Sport loaner that I had for a week - did not feel floaty at all, and felt much lighter. My daily is my trusty '08 550i Sport, and the G30 felt very close, besides obviously being bigger, and the steering wasn't quite as spectacular, but close.

It seemed to have some decent grunt, but the car had 9 miles on it and I didn't want to rev up too high. My 550i only has a 360-370hphp, so the 340ix will probably kill it from a red light with that AWD.

I didn't give TOO much thought to the drive, because I want to see how the M550i works with 4 wheel steering (if that's a thing), but I was more than satisfied with the drive.

STEERING:

Steering felt great - miles ahead of the 535i loaner I had, but still not quite as glove-fitting as my E60. However, I was in comfort the whole time and forgot that the sport/eco modes change stuff until I was back in the lot, so I only played with it a bit, but not enough to see how it changes.

I didn't like the steering ratio in comfort mode. I felt like I had to turn the wheel more than I have to in my E60. I don't remember how the F10 was. Not sure if Sport mode is faster on that end.

The M Sport steering wheel is THICK. Imagine putting a steering wheel cover on an E60 wheel and you have it. Some like it, some probably won't. I'll have to get used to it. Since the leather is slightly squishy, I worry that with the wheel heater on it'll feel like I'm holding a dick.

I actually like the wheel heater button being on the front. My morning ritual now is to hit the button the side of the wheel, then angle my head around to see if it's actually on. Now I'll just hit the button and the gauges confirm it's on. Probably safer that way.

INTERIOR:

Seats are wonderful! These were the multi-contour seats and fit snug, with soft leather. I think it was Dakota (don't remember), but it still felt nice. However, I didn't like the contrast piping. (This was black dakota leather with contrast piping). However, the piping is sort of a light tan/beige. I think white contrast stitching/piping would be better, because to me this appeared as something that used to be white and turned brown after years of use. Seemed a little old to me, but you might like it. I think that kind of off-white piping would look better on Mocha leather. Mine will likely have the Mocha or Ivory so I'm not too worried about it.

I really like the dash and the free-standing screen. Again, I know there's a lot of controversy around this, but I think it's good - the dash slopes down and there's a big feeling of open space there - with just the screen there and nothing bulky around it. I didn't play much with touching the screen, though. I prefer using the controller. The Sensatec leather looked fine enough, but the "grain" seemed kind of rough - it will look out of place with Nappa leather, MAYBE. I've yet to see a Nappa car.

I HATE the semi-analogue gauge cluster. It's actually fine, but knowing that there is a full digital cluster, and we just can't it yet, makes me really dislike it. One of the reasons that I want to wait until the full digital clusters come out (yes, I'm being spoiled, but you don't spend $70-80k on a car, knowing that the company is withholding features from you). Besides that, it performs well enough. I don't like that the fuel usage gauge is only present in eco mode though - I always liked having that thing in BMWs, especially when I'm hammering the throttle.

The HUD's display is fancier, but I don't like it that much. It has extra "flair" graphics - I like the older huds where its just a number - but it definitely looks more futuristic. The speed number turns red when you are above the speed limit - I hope you can disable that.

I forgot to check if the car had 3D cameras or not - would have like to play with it if I had remembered to look.

Interior lighting colors - choices are like the 7 series - bronze, orange, white, blue, green, purple. I'll be sticking with bronze or orange.

The wheels are kind of "meh" but will make fine snow tires. I liked the M550i's wheels, but it'll remain to be seen how they look in person.

Back seats are fine. I kind of wish a rear sunroof was an option cause that's a cool thing the E Class has. There is a bump protruding down in the middle of the rear ceiling (reading lights and probably some electronics or something in there). Would probably be cramped headspace-wise for an adult in the middle of the rear seats.

The backseat middle armrest is crap - just like what's in the F10, and current 3-series and x-drive cars. No storage pocket in there either - just cup holders. I really like how the middle arm rest is set up in the E60 - it's substantial, while the new armrest looks like something you'd find in a nissan. Probably a requirement though to make the fold down rear seats work, though (which I didn't test), so a necessary compromise.

Trunk space seemed adequate - enough to fit the obnoxiously large running stroller my wife insists on having - it seems narrower than my E60 but a little longer (I didn't measure though, and it could just be from perspective).

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

The steering is better and the suspension is not floaty. Those are enough for me as the car would be driven by me in Sport mode most times.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
bubbahead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 40i Msport

There is an MPPK? First time I've heard about this.

I think if you enjoy driving in twisty roads, the Adaptive Drive is what you'll need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I drove a 540i xDrive this morning for about 30 minutes. Combo backroads and highway. The car was well equipped with a $72.5k MSRP, but it had neither the MSport or Dynamic Handling Package. Black over Black Dakota.

I liked the car a lot. The most noticeable thing for me was reduced weight. Now I'm comparing the car to my current S6 and my former F10 M5. Those cars are in the 4400 - 4500 pound range. I'm guessing the 540 is closer to 4000 pounds. It makes a difference. I drove entirely in Sport Plus mode and found the steering to be heavy, but precise. Flicking the wheel back and forth on the highway was almost fun. It's a definite upgrade from the F10. The ride was comfortable, not floaty at all and not harsh, even in Sport Plus (although I don't think there's any adjustability of the damping without Dynamic Handling). The car was pretty quiet, but there's more wind noise around the windows and rear view mirror than I would have liked.

Taking a very long, sweeping exit ramp was very telling to me. The ramp is part of every test drive that I do. The speed limit is 45 mph, and with slowly increasing acceleration, the 540 got up to 84 before my butt-meter told me the nannies were about to cut in. That's pretty good. However, there was considerable body roll. I was hanging on a bit, planting my left leg to keep my body pressed into the right side bolster. It was the only truly negative thing about the drive, and I think would be mitigated or eliminated with the Active Roll Stability part of the Dynamic Handling Package.

I felt that the power was fine - absolutely adequate, but not prodigious. If I buy this car, I will seriously consider the M Performance Power upgrade.

Everyone has talked about the car's aesthetics, so I purposely left it to last. I was very surprised by how much I liked the look of the car. To my eye, the dimensions look tidier than the F10's. I thought I'd absolutely hate the new grille, but found it's not that offensive. I may even grow to like it. The interior dimensions do not feel very different from the F10's. The cowl seems lower and the dash feels closer to the windshield. I liked that. the front comfort seats are the usually BMW awesome. There may be a smidge more rear seat room, but the rear seat itself is definitely set lower than the F10's. You kind of fall into the seat. I didn't like that.

Interior design is BMW evolutionary and "handsome". There are no great design risks or "wow" factors. I like the E-class's design more, but tactilely, the BMW's interior quality feels much better. I was surprised by how much better the Dakota leather looks and feels. It's not Nappa or Marino, but for some reason, it feels more acceptable than before. The sensatec dash is an upgrade and its texture matches the Dakota leather, but I think it would really stand out (in a negative way) with Nappa leather seats. BMW really needs a true smooth leather dash option for this car.

Overall, I really like the new 540. It's a definite step forward and has no serious flaws - except maybe the price. I always end up with over-spec'ed cars, but even so, I build a well equipped 540i xDrive at almost $80k. I'd be knocking $85k if I go with the M Performance Power kit. That's a lot of bread for a 540 . . .
2011 550ix msport
2009 e92 335i msport
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #6
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
There is an MPPK? First time I've heard about this.
Supposed to be available immediately upon launch. +35hp. See this: http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1328162

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbahead View Post
I think if you enjoy driving in twisty roads, the Adaptive Drive is what you'll need.
I think that's right for any of us who value superior handling.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
I HATE the semi-analogue gauge cluster. It's actually fine, but knowing that there is a full digital cluster, and we just can't it yet, makes me really dislike it. One of the reasons that I want to wait until the full digital clusters come out (yes, I'm being spoiled, but you don't spend $70-80k on a car, knowing that the company is withholding features from you).
Can you explain this a bit more please... I thought in Sport Mode it is fully digital... and than in Comfort or Eco Pro, it is Analogue/Digital?

I am getting a UK model so perhaps it is different?

Thanks

(I don't like the analogue clock, AT ALL, it looks like a merc clock in LCD format )
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 06:03 AM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Can you explain this a bit more please... I thought in Sport Mode it is fully digital... and than in Comfort or Eco Pro, it is Analogue/Digital?

Thanks

(I don't like the analogue clock, AT ALL, it looks like a merc clock in LCD format )

UK gets the full extended instrument cluster standard
      01-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #9
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Thanks

Take a look at the pics in post 15 in this thread: http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1348394

At this point, the US market is getting what we're calling a partial digital instrument panel. Note that the speed and RPM markings are (mostly) printed on the surface of the dials. The LCD screen is smaller and does not encompass the entire instrument panel. As the poster above said, Europe is getting a fully digital instrument panel. The LCD screen will encompass the entire panel.
Appreciate 1
usmabmass237.50
      01-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #10
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:

I Agree with what you said, I drove a 540xi M-Sport, was a great drive, was curious what a RWD would feel like and the upgraded suspension setup. But over all I was impressed considering I drive a F80. Interior is a big leap forward as well as all the tech.

I would think the dash would probably get upgraded if you opted for the Nappa, but again at this point no one knows.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
I would think the dash would probably get upgraded if you opted for the Nappa, but again at this point no one knows.
I don't think so. There simply is no real leather dash option at this time, even with Nappa. That may change when BMW introduces the Individual Marino interiors.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 06:42 AM   #12
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

fwiw, I drove another 540 xDrive yesterday. It had both M-Sport and Dynamic Handling. I drove almost exclusively on a rural, very twisty road in Sport Plus mode. It was far superior to the non-M-Sport ride. It held the road and the curves very well. It was a lot of fun.

Because of my history, the SA then put me in a 6MT 340i xDrive with the M-Sport and Track Handling packages. It was MUCH more fun to drive over the same route. It's obviously a very different car (the quality of the interior is an embarrassment) but I was surprised just how much better it held the road. The reason that I think this is pertinent is that the weight of the 540 may be the sweet spot for the 5 Series range. The 3 weighs about 3800 pounds. The 540 weighs about 4000 pounds. The M550 will likely weigh in at about 4300 pounds. As the 3 Series ride proved, weight is key to the handling performance of these cars (as Porsche has been preaching for 60 years). So with its lower weight, I think the 540 will be the better choice in the 5 range. If the power is not enough, adding the MPPK to the 540 is probably the better route to take.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I don't think so. There simply is no real leather dash option at this time, even with Nappa. That may change when BMW introduces the Individual Marino interiors.
"Individual leather covered dashboard" option code "4M5" is scheduled for later.
Hopefully before the end of the year. Maybe at July or August change periods
      01-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #14
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
"Individual leather covered dashboard" option code "4M5" is scheduled for later.
Hopefully before the end of the year. Maybe at July or August change periods
I'm guessing that for the North American market, it will be part of the Individual Marino Leather options. I hope it's also available with Dakota or Nappa, but it was not for this market's F10.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #15
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Take a look at the pics in post 15 in this thread: http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1348394

At this point, the US market is getting what we're calling a partial digital instrument panel. Note that the speed and RPM markings are (mostly) printed on the surface of the dials. The LCD screen is smaller and does not encompass the entire instrument panel. As the poster above said, Europe is getting a fully digital instrument panel. The LCD screen will encompass the entire panel.
Aha, got you now , my bad.... I like the fully digital one, and as you say it will be standard on the UK ones (M Sport at least AFAIK)

What I do see (also like) is on the pic of the rear A/C controls which are obviously the 2 zone, not 4 zone... there is a cold/hot dial which I don't have in my F10
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:09 AM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Aha, got you now , my bad.... I like the fully digital one, and as you say it will be standard on the UK ones (M Sport at least AFAIK)

What I do see (also like) is on the pic of the rear A/C controls which are obviously the 2 zone, not 4 zone... there is a cold/hot dial which I don't have in my F10
All UK G30 get the full instrument cluster standard at lauch.

USA does not get the 4 Zone AC system option
      01-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I also noted the rear temperature control feature is back in the 5-series. My E39 had it, (my E91 had it as well) was surprised it was dropped from the F10. Wish BMW would stop playing with dropping such features in a model range then bring them back again in another generation. Should have been in the F10/11 with 2-zone. You feel cheated when BMW mess around like this.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #18
nickyhaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Quote:

i have the temperature dial in my 2012 F10, i think it comes with the "air conditioning with extended range" which is default in .nl, also for the G30
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyhaan View Post
i have the temperature dial in my 2012 F10, i think it comes with the "air conditioning with extended range" which is default in .nl, also for the G30
I've got the extended 2-zone AC in my 2011 build (UK model), no heat control in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:29 AM   #20
nickyhaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I've got the extended 2-zone AC in my 2011 build (UK model), no heat control in the rear.
interesting... no clue then why mine has it and yours doesnt?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #21
MileHiGolfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 m550i

I nearly sprayed my monitor with Diet Coke when I read the part about the dick. Lol.

Went from F10 35i to E70 50i and thinking of going back to 5er G30, enjoying reading these reviews. Whets the appetite for the m550 which is going to be bonkers. Seems MB has a gap in their offering between e43 and e63.
Appreciate 1
usmabmass237.50
      01-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #22
M3Fanatics
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 YMB F80 M3 '15 BSM F15 X5

I drove a 540 this weekend and found that I like the drive best in comfort mode, B58 engine has a lot of low end torque so I didn't find the need to drive it in sport and rev the engine
Appreciate 0