F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension Question Related to Knocking Noises
ARMA SPEED

01-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Suspension Question Related to Knocking Noises

Question for some of you suspension gurus, but I'll first start by teeing up my setup...

I'm on Bilstein B14 coilovers since 7/2016, mildly lowered about 1" and professionally installed at a local BMW indy shop. Alignment a few weeks went smoothly. About 30k on the car when the coils were installed. Didn't have any issues for the first 4-5 months.

So the problem:
In December, I started noticing a slight knocking noise when I was turning the steering wheel full lock at low speeds. It was only coming from the driver side. It was especially noticeable when I was backing out of a parking space (again steering wheel at full lock) or going over bumps at low speeds (less noticeable when steering wheel was straight).

My first suspicion was maybe the strut mount had gone bad since I had the shop re-use the OEM mounts. At 30k I didn't think the mounts would need replacing for at least another 40-50k. Couple weeks ago, I had the shop that did the coil install look at it and they gave me the diagnosis that the "strut mounts are bad" but I didn't get any specifics. I decided to hold off on replacing immediately as I wanted to do some research into aftermarket solutions.

In the meantime, a few days ago, I filled my tire pressure (temps dropping here) back to the PSI I normally use. Immediately after I pulled out of the gas station, I noticed my knocking noise was gone. Wtf??? Placebo? Coincidence? Wasn't sure so I took a bunch of turns and paid special attention to it over the next few days. The noise hasn't returned and the only thing I have done is inflate the TP.

I can't imagine the TP would have an effect on the strut mounts. Could the knocking be coming from somewhere else? Tie rods maybe?

I don't get it...any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
aps
Captain
Rep

Nobody?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330168
      01-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
aps
Captain
Rep

^interesting...somehow that didn't come across my searching. seems like it could potentially be what I'm experiencing
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
M47
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328 xDrive

I don't have any knowledge on suspension. But how do you like the B14s so far? I just purchased one and am still waiting for the install.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
aps
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M47 View Post
I don't have any knowledge on suspension. But how do you like the B14s so far? I just purchased one and am still waiting for the install.
Love the way they perform, handling and comfort wise. Really tightened up the drive over the M Sport suspension, but also improved the comfort factor by not being as "crashy" over joints and bumps like the M sport suspension was.

Sounds like this particular issue may not even be related to the coilovers so I wouldn't be worried if I were you. I've really enjoyed them.
Appreciate 1
M4764.50
      02-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #7
saaltonen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu View Post
Question for some of you suspension gurus, but I'll first start by teeing up my setup...

I'm on Bilstein B14 coilovers since 7/2016, mildly lowered about 1" and professionally installed at a local BMW indy shop. Alignment a few weeks went smoothly. About 30k on the car when the coils were installed. Didn't have any issues for the first 4-5 months.

So the problem:
In December, I started noticing a slight knocking noise when I was turning the steering wheel full lock at low speeds. It was only coming from the driver side. It was especially noticeable when I was backing out of a parking space (again steering wheel at full lock) or going over bumps at low speeds (less noticeable when steering wheel was straight).

My first suspicion was maybe the strut mount had gone bad since I had the shop re-use the OEM mounts. At 30k I didn't think the mounts would need replacing for at least another 40-50k. Couple weeks ago, I had the shop that did the coil install look at it and they gave me the diagnosis that the "strut mounts are bad" but I didn't get any specifics. I decided to hold off on replacing immediately as I wanted to do some research into aftermarket solutions.

In the meantime, a few days ago, I filled my tire pressure (temps dropping here) back to the PSI I normally use. Immediately after I pulled out of the gas station, I noticed my knocking noise was gone. Wtf??? Placebo? Coincidence? Wasn't sure so I took a bunch of turns and paid special attention to it over the next few days. The noise hasn't returned and the only thing I have done is inflate the TP.

I can't imagine the TP would have an effect on the strut mounts. Could the knocking be coming from somewhere else? Tie rods maybe?

I might have the same issue as you, if I am understanding correctly. I upgraded to KW V2's a while back on my F31 and when I first put them on I had the rebound set to pretty stiff. I believe that due to the lack of give in the suspension it caused my OEM top hats that we reused to fail. Now occasionally when turning to full lock (or close to it) my coils bind up a little and create a tapping noise as they try to turn in the mount against the worn bearings. It doesn't happen with slight turns, and doesn't happen at speed when the suspension is constantly traveling up and down. It mainly just happens when parking or making very low speed turns.

Does this sound like what you are experiencing?
2014 F31 328i xDrive - Alpine White - KW V2 - 19" MORR VS8.2 - BSW Stage 1 - BSW Under Seat Woofer - BimmerTech Amp - Infinity Kappa 100.9w/500W Mono Amp - M-Sport Rear Bumper - M-Performance Diffuser - M3 F80 Style Front Bumper
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
aps
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaltonen View Post
I might have the same issue as you, if I am understanding correctly. I upgraded to KW V2's a while back on my F31 and when I first put them on I had the rebound set to pretty stiff. I believe that due to the lack of give in the suspension it caused my OEM top hats that we reused to fail. Now occasionally when turning to full lock (or close to it) my coils bind up a little and create a tapping noise as they try to turn in the mount against the worn bearings. It doesn't happen with slight turns, and doesn't happen at speed when the suspension is constantly traveling up and down. It mainly just happens when parking or making very low speed turns.

Does this sound like what you are experiencing?
Yeah its basically the same noise I believe, but after doing further investigation, I don't think its coming from the strut mounts.

Based on the link that was provided above, it does sound more like its coming from the lower area of the suspension so the brake thing is a possibility or its some part of the CV joint.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post
Yeah its basically the same noise I believe, but after doing further investigation, I don't think its coming from the strut mounts.

Based on the link that was provided above, it does sound more like its coming from the lower area of the suspension so the brake thing is a possibility or its some part of the CV joint.
Did you figure out what the noise was? I've installed KW V1 recently so just being prepared in case something comes up. For now I just notice a slight back and forth rocking on complete stop, probably the progressive springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 03:45 PM   #10
CloudX
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sport

Garage List
I'm having the same sound. I didn't re-use the old top hats either. I put new OEM ones one. Seems like a weird sprung noise "slight thud" slow speed when turning and say going over a bump. Or just when turning. Seems like it got worse over the 8 months I had the kit on. Not entirely sure myself, but I'm starting to want to chase it down. B14 setup is amazing for this car.
      05-22-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
Yrad119
Rep
Drives: BMW f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aps View Post

So the problem:

I have exact same issue, I changed struts mount , sway end link , wearing wheel , CV joint, I mean everything but noise is getting worst and worst.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 04:28 PM   #12
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

I've also been dealing with this for a few months
Honestly I'm going to switch suspension I'm soooo fed up with the sound lol
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 07:53 PM   #13
Yrad119
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3aizpw9sx61cpjw/AADKT7XpAGXST9Xgd6bh9llya?dl=0
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 08:14 PM   #14
Yrad119
Rep

Quote:

https://youtu.be/kly-kgc8r00

This video shows how my car makes noise when I turning steering all the way left or right
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 10:15 PM   #15
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrad119 View Post
Quote:

https://youtu.be/kly-kgc8r00

This video shows how my car makes noise when I turning steering all the way left or right
Bro same!
And it gets annoying when you're going over uneven surface like angling over inclined parking lots, in and out of parking spaces, etc etc
And it's only low low speeds to huh? I never hear it driving at speed, I sometimes here it if I turn onto a rough surface around 15mph or less
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:58 AM   #16
_ObiJon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive

Have you all tried Torrington bearings on the lower spring perch? It sounds like the coil is binding up and releasing.
Appreciate 1