F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Google Maps & Album Art
GetBMWParts

02-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
visualexstasy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23' x3 M40i

Google Maps & Album Art

So I hear this all the time BMW and android just don't go well together, I'm hoping that isnt the case with the updates BMW pushes out. I have a nexus 6p (Android 7.1.1) and when I stream music either from soundcloud or from my music player the album art never shows up. Also if I plug in my phone into the car directly it says its not supported to transfer songs onto the harddrive even though it can read them.

Also curious is there a way to get google maps onto the idrive itself, the avoiding traffic algorithm seems more refined than bmw especially on the estimated arrival times
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualexstasy View Post
Also curious is there a way to get google maps onto the idrive itself, the avoiding traffic algorithm seems more refined than bmw especially on the estimated arrival times
1. Android Auto
2. Bimmertech smartview HD, which you mirror your phone's screen to iDrive. However, it is an Apple TV 3th gen so I'm not sure what's the workaround for Android. You should contact Bimmertech
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
visualexstasy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
1. Android Auto
2. Bimmertech smartview HD, which you mirror your phone's screen to iDrive. However, it is an Apple TV 3th gen so I'm not sure what's the workaround for Android. You should contact Bimmertech
Will Android auto work with a 2014 435i?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
OddThought
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualexstasy View Post
So I hear this all the time BMW and android just don't go well together, I'm hoping that isnt the case with the updates BMW pushes out. I have a nexus 6p (Android 7.1.1) and when I stream music either from soundcloud or from my music player the album art never shows up. Also if I plug in my phone into the car directly it says its not supported to transfer songs onto the harddrive even though it can read them.

I've got the exact same phone, and after a ton of googling, figured out that this is isn't on BMW, or ever Apple. Android is running a really, really old version of AVRCP (the BT media sharing protocol) which doesn't support transferring of album art or any other metadata beyond the track info and basic controls. And Apple...does.

This thread might shed a little light for you: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...tail?id=186433
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #5
visualexstasy
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddThought View Post
I've got the exact same phone, and after a ton of googling, figured out that this is isn't on BMW, or ever Apple. Android is running a really, really old version of AVRCP (the BT media sharing protocol) which doesn't support transferring of album art or any other metadata beyond the track info and basic controls. And Apple...does.

This thread might shed a little light for you: https://code.google.com/p/android/is...tail?id=186433
Wow thats embarrassing. Is there a workaround for this?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
OddThought
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport, 6MT

Other than google updating their stuff, not really. I just keep a HD of the music I like in the armrest, and deal with no art over bluetooth. some samsung users have had good luck with plugging in via USB, and getting album art from spotify/pandora/etc that way though.
Appreciate 0