F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F31 Alignment settings
Extreme Powerhouse

02-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
Burnard
Rep
Drives: 130i

F31 Alignment settings

Hi guys,

Im a new Memeber to the F31 side of things, Have had the car a week now.
Its a 335D (non adaptive suspension)

One thing I have been trying to find is something which was very much common place on the E87 130i that this car replaced.
There was a 'camber pin mod' which made the world of difference to the handling of the car for very little effort. Basically this modification gave the car a little more front camber to air front end grip on turn in and reduced understeer.

I have noticed that the xdrive system is a little more prone to understeer and also the outside edges of the tyres are more worn, similar characteristics to the 130i.

What Id like to know is if there is a similar modification for the F31 to even out the tyre wear and improve the handling?
Or If there is a good alignment/ tracking setting outside of the BMW standard which is better to have the car set up to.

I am also interested to hear what people recommend as a good tyre pressure for the standard 19" wheel/ tyre combo on the RFT's. (theres so much information and nobody clearly stating what tyre sizes they are running with their pressures)

Future plans include proper suspension upgrades, ditching the RTF's and possibly a remap too. If anyone has any recommendations for the UK market/roads that would be appreciated. (feedback on any Birds parts would be great)

I am sorry if this has been asked before, this is an amazing forum with so much information but I am finding it very hard to find exactly what I am looking for!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Hi,

As you ask about Birds. I installed the Quaife LSD on my RWD F31 due to a recommendation from another user here.
It's a nobrainer for about 2'000£!

I haven't looked at any front camber modification possibilities. For me this would be just to much and inside tire wear could increase unreasonable.
Perhaps changing the springs and dampers to a good set of Bilstein would improve handling on streets and track.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31xd | f80m3

No camber pins on the F3x. Two options... camber plates (vorshlag, ground control, etc) or the "camber correction" knuckles from bmw. The latter I believe is both part cost and labor cost prohibitive.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Burnard
Rep
Drives: 130i

I had the quaife in my 130i and wouldnt even think twice about fitting another one to a RWD car. Im just not sure how it would affect the AWD system on the Xdrive. I think I will have to see if birds have a demo car with one.

The issue ive noticed with the car is more outer tyre wear on the front wheels. Ive not had the tracking done yet, but i noticed similar on the 130i before i increased the camber. Ever since I did that i had totally even tyre wear across the front tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
Hi,

As you ask about Birds. I installed the Quaife LSD on my RWD F31 due to a recommendation from another user here.
It's a nobrainer for about 2'000£!

I haven't looked at any front camber modification possibilities. For me this would be just to much and inside tire wear could increase unreasonable.
Perhaps changing the springs and dampers to a good set of Bilstein would improve handling on streets and track.
Appreciate 0