BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Review from Irish Times - not great!

02-08-2017, 04:40 AM   #1
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Review from Irish Times - not great!

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...520d-1.2959650
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
The question is what was the suspension set up. I know in the US the M-Sport suspension packaging is different depending upon the motors.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
The question is what was the suspension set up. I know in the US the M-Sport suspension packaging is different depending upon the motors.
Perhaps one of our Irish members can get to try the same car and share their opinion.

I'm guessing it will be the typical M-sport setup, with 704 M-sport suspension we have for most 520d models in the UK and Ireland.

A little surprised the comments see the steering as a step backwards, when most test drives see the G30 steering as a step forward, (be it small), compared to the F10 steering.

BMW are balancing an improvement in ride quality with sure footed handling, required by the bigger G30 market. Steering also has to be tuned to suit that finer balance. Many won't be wanting an "in your face" steering feel, even if it is possible with EPS. BMW talk of "precision", rather than lots of road feel and feedback. Eliminating the negative aspects of feedback, (customer requirement from what I read), short changes the enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport Med Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Perhaps one of our Irish members can get to try the same car and share their opinion.

I'm guessing it will be the typical M-sport setup, with 704 M-sport suspension we have for most 520d models in the UK and Ireland.

A little surprised the comments see the steering as a step backwards, when most test drives see the G30 steering as a step forward, (be it small), compared to the F10 steering.

BMW are balancing an improvement in ride quality with sure footed handling, required by the bigger G30 market. Steering also has to be tuned to suit that finer balance. Many won't be wanting an "in your face" steering feel, even if it is possible with EPS. BMW talk of "precision", rather than lots of road feel and feedback. Eliminating the negative aspects of feedback, (customer requirement from what I read), short changes the enthusiast.
The car in question is in a Northern Ireland dealer (see the number plate and reference and acknowledgement in the article)..

Your're probably right that it is at best M Sport Suspension (and it may even be deleted) as it is almost impossible to get a car with VDC or Adaptive Drive here. BMW likes - nay, insists - that dealers load a few options on demo cars but these tend to be more tangible like Head Up Display, Active Cruise Control etc
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 25d

It would seem BMW are making the 5 a mini 7 and going for comfort over handling. This probably suits a lot of customers anyway. In fairness they've gone from the "ultimate driving machine "to "joy" or some such rubbish so is no surprise.
The e60 felt more connected to the road than the f10 and maybe the g30 is less so again.
I think we will just have to take our own test drives and make up our own minds as to whether the car suits us.
I want to try 530e as could be a sweet drive with the lighter smoother petrol engine if my 330e is anything to go by but I believe a 540e is in the works and that could be something exceptional.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
M sport suspension is the same for all motors, but only the 540 gets the Adaptive Drive (Dynamic Handling Package), while 530 only gets Dynamic Damper Control.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d View Post
It would seem BMW are making the 5 a mini 7 and going for comfort over handling. This probably suits a lot of customers anyway....

I think we will just have to take our own test drives and make up our own minds as to whether the car suits us....
This was the case with the F10, it's always been seen as a smaller Seven (F01), not a bigger Three. We have to expect the same from the G30, even if it is lighter and tuned for slightly better dynamics. Comfort and Luxury do appear to be the focus.

Agree on the test drives. Only we ourselves know what we want from the 5-series. The F10 suits me, so I expect the G30 (if loaded with the right kit) to be a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #8
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d View Post
I want to try 530e as could be a sweet drive with the lighter smoother petrol engine if my 330e is anything to go by but I believe a 540e is in the works and that could be something exceptional.
The 530e is 210 kg heavier than than the 520d (1845 kg vs 1635 kg), so I don't see how it should handle better, even if the weight is at a low point.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Why do they insist on putting that so called camouflage on the car?
Who are they trying to fool? The car has been revealed on their website, magazines etc etc. for so long now.

mini rant over!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport Med Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
This was the case with the F10, it's always been seen as a smaller Seven (F01), not a bigger Three. We have to expect the same from the G30, even if it is lighter and tuned for slightly better dynamics. Comfort and Luxury do appear to be the focus.

Agree on the test drives. Only we ourselves know what we want from the 5-series. The F10 suits me, so I expect the G30 (if loaded with the right kit) to be a bit better.
Agreed, it ultimately comes down to personal preference. While the E39 was correctly revered for its perfect blend of "ultimate driving" and comfort etc - as standard, the advent of run flat tyres and a desire to appear to a broad church has led to a proliferation of customisable suspension set ups, but the vast majority will be sold as standard SE spec. Has anyone ever tried to configure a Porsche with its myriad suspension, active and passive, set ups? ( And if you're used to BMW configurators, be sitting down at Porsche pricing for options).

As to the numerous comments on the evolutionary external design, can you tell the difference between the last few iterations of tge Audi A6? Apart from the rear of the latest model, how about the E Class? Even the first and second generation XF? Exactly, evolution is the name of the game so as to not devalue unduly the outgoing model while bringing the customer along, which these days is at least as much about the connectivity and digital interface as the mechanics. Contributors to these forum are almost by definition enthusiasts with passionate opinions. Most "lay people" I know wouldn't have any idea about the subtleties we debate here!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY View Post
Agreed, it ultimately comes down to personal preference. While the E39 was correctly revered for its perfect blend of "ultimate driving" and comfort etc - as standard, the advent of run flat tyres and a desire to appear to a broad church has led to a proliferation of customisable suspension set ups, but the vast majority will be sold as standard SE spec. Has anyone ever tried to configure a Porsche with its myriad suspension, active and passive, set ups? ( And if you're used to BMW configurators, be sitting down at Porsche pricing for options).

As to the numerous comments on the evolutionary external design, can you tell the difference between the last few iterations of tge Audi A6? Apart from the rear of the latest model, how about the E Class? Even the first and second generation XF? Exactly, evolution is the name of the game so as to not devalue unduly the outgoing model while bringing the customer along, which these days is at least as much about the connectivity and digital interface as the mechanics. Contributors to these forum are almost by definition enthusiasts with passionate opinions. Most "lay people" I know wouldn't have any idea about the subtleties we debate here!!
Well said. in picture G30 looks very similar to F10. In live, especially for those that are familiar with BMW, is quite different from F10, bigger, sharper, more modern in exterior especially the rear view and the interior is far superior to F10, it is quite luxurious and feels like a very expensive car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #12
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

It's a shame but the days of a BMW 5 series being a brilliant sports sedan are long gone and BMW has no intentions of bringing them back. They have decided the 5er is a luxury car, grown it to luxe barge proportions, and you can take it or leave it.

The 3 series has grow too, which is why corporate refuses to make the 5 sporty. If you want sporty, spec out a 3 series the right way and you still can have sporty. Ironically, the current 3 is very close to the size of that e39 5 series that everyone refers back to saying it was the most perfect car ever.

Big boats can't handle like a sports car. Option up a three with a full leather interior and all the goodies and it is a very nice placed to be AND it will drive like a proper BMW. The latest M3 is a beautiful driving car. Forget about the fast part.... it is an awesome driving car.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY View Post

Well said. in picture G30 looks very similar to F10. In live, especially for those that are familiar with BMW, is quite different from F10, bigger, sharper, more modern in exterior especially the rear view and the interior is far superior to F10, it is quite luxurious and feels like a very expensive car.
Agreed, sat in 520 & 530 at my dealers today, very impressed with car in the flesh especially the interior.
Will have to learn to live with the headlights meeting the grill which looks terrible IMHO on the 3 series
Looking forward to my test drives next week
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
It's a shame but the days of a BMW 5 series being a brilliant sports sedan are long gone and BMW has no intentions of bringing them back. They have decided the 5er is a luxury car, grown it to luxe barge proportions, and you can take it or leave it.

The 3 series has grow too, which is why corporate refuses to make the 5 sporty. If you want sporty, spec out a 3 series the right way and you still can have sporty. Ironically, the current 3 is very close to the size of that e39 5 series that everyone refers back to saying it was the most perfect car ever.

Big boats can't handle like a sports car. Option up a three with a full leather interior and all the goodies and it is a very nice placed to be AND it will drive like a proper BMW. The latest M3 is a beautiful driving car. Forget about the fast part.... it is an awesome driving car.
I've just given up on the 5-series altogether. I'm sure the G30 is more fun to drive than the putrid F10, but it'll never once again be like the E60 and before. The market has, unfortunately, moved toward comfort and tech. The majority of people buying a 5-series aren't driving enthusiasts and just want something comfortable. I suppose it's no longer a car for folks like us.

I'd much rather opt for a 440 Gran Coupe or an M3 over the 5er. They're fun to drive, much sexier, and way more unique (not everybody and their mother has one). Plus you can get sweet colors like Estoril Blue or YMB.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post

The obsession with increasing size with each new generation plagues most manufacturers. I was looking at a VW Golf Mk1 GTi the other day, looks so small against the latest GTi.

I started driving BMW with the E12 5-series. At the time it was plenty big enough, now I drive the F11, bigger than my father's 7-series of years gone by.

The E30, a model I thought was superb as a driver's car, is so small compared with today's 3-series.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I've just given up on the 5-series altogether. I'm sure the G30 is more fun to drive than the putrid F10, but it'll never once again be like the E60 and before. The market has, unfortunately, moved toward comfort and tech. The majority of people buying a 5-series aren't driving enthusiasts and just want something comfortable. I suppose it's no longer a car for folks like us.
Steady on... "putrid", I love my F11 wagon.

I agree the market has moved on, motoring has also moved on for many folks. Not the same pleasure as it once was, for a multitude of reasons.

Certainly see added comfort and tech being key to the G30.
Appreciate 0