F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > General brake system rehaul question
Studio RSR

02-19-2017, 03:50 AM   #1
silverm0623
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335iH

General brake system rehaul question

Got a '13 BSM Activehybrid 3 (335iH) non M Sport and recently got the 437M replica wheels on them and they look great, but now rust on the brake hub (part that doesn't get "cleaned" when you brake) on the Rear wheels is very noticeable and now I'm thinking of buying new brake rotors that have been treated to help prevent rust corrosion. However, after looking at my brakes closer today I noticed that even the calipers are slowly building a little bit of rust so I might want to change those too to the painted ones. My car only has 39k miles on it.

My question is, is it possible to just change the brake rotors and calipers or do I need to replace the entire system including pads, sensors, etc? My front brakes still have 9k and my rears about 18k according to the CBS.

Also, for the M Performance Brake Kit, are the rotors in that kit treated or not treated i.e. i do not want rust to start appearing on them after just a couple thousand miles. Thinking of just getting that kit but it doesn't specify much about the rotors.

thanks in advance!

edit: getbmwparts is selling the yellow brake performance kit for $1250 excluding rear discs which seems like a very good deal. are the discs in these kits treated???
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Yes, those Rotors are treated. I've them on for three years including winter and salt, no rust on the rotors.

Front Pads:
Even if you could use the front pads also on the new kit, I strongly recommend to install new pads. My rule, new rotor, new pads, this will give you a good result after short bedding in process.

The original pads for the MPBK don't have an agressive initial bite. Some of the forum guys choose different aftermarket pads with a more agressive bite.
I personally like a soft initial bite but that's up to you.

Rear pads:
Rear pads are a different design from the one you have now as with the MPBK it will change from a one piston caliper to a two piston caliper. So you need to buy new rear pads anyway. Same story for the agressive bite.

Rear rotor:
34206797600 this fits for the 335i type emergency brake. (so also for your car)
There is another rear rotor with different PN that fits cars with the smaller version of emergency brake (but 335i needs above PN)

Brake Dust:
There is a lot of brake dust from the MPBK original pads. My recommendation is to use a low pads like the EBC Red Stuff or similar. Search this forum for many posts about that.

I've made a thread answering common questions around the F3x brakes. Have a look if it is helpful for you:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=858607
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
silverm0623
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you very much! I guess since it's probably safer to just replace the entire systems, I'll probably just buy the whole kit. There are whole kits on ebay from reputable dealers for as low as $1200 free shipping and no tax, just need to buy rear rotors.

About how much would this cost/how many hours to do at an Indy shop?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
silverm0623
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also I'm confused on the color of the rotors. Stock picture implies they come painted black but I've seen them as silver as well. What color do the rotors come as? Unpainted?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Rotors are all silver (no black at all):
http://theismotorsport.com/341122214...Big-Brembo-Kit

For a complete change front/rear you need around 4 hours plus additional time for coding. (the times are from official BMW documents)
I think this is quite fast and if an Indy does it for the first time, 6-8 hours could be more appropriate.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #6
silverm0623
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Awesome, thanks so much!
Appreciate 0