F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Loud over bumps, bottoming out on bumps
Studio RSR

02-22-2017, 11:29 PM   #1
Minkeebluee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i xDrive Sport

So I got my F30 last summer, its been great mostly. But my friends and BMW Service advisors think I am crazy.

My car is a 2013 with 52K miles, stock suspension system and all. 18 inch luxury line wheels with Pirelli Cinturato All Season Plus. Tire pressure at 32 psi like its suppose to.

When I go over bumps and potholes, I hear it way more than my other 3 series which was a 2015 with 17inch wheels mind you I know its not the same wheel size and that can have something to do with it. But when BMW gave me a loaner, it was a 2016 328i with the sport package and 18" wheels as well, it had continental tires. I went over the same bumps i usually do commuting home and such, and it was remarkably quieter, not bottoming out.

I know this car was newer and 3 ish years into this body style. But what is it that would make my car's suspension bottom out so easily, I mean I feel it in the frame of my car and its so loud and sounds so bad I feel like I broke it earlier today. Every time I mention it to BMW service, they look at it and take it on a ride and say its all normal. It doesn't make sense to me.

Any insight or ideas or such that would be helpful is much appreciated.
      02-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

There is an easy way to test if your suspension is indeed bottoming out. Tie a zip-tie on the shaft of the strut and shock and go out for a drive. Inspect where the zip-tie end up is a good indication of how far the strut or shock has compressed. If the zip-tie is just shy or at the bottom of the bump stop, you are good. If it's halfway or most of the way up the bump stop, you may have struts and shocks that are lost compression damping and are not able to slow down the the compression stroke.
Appreciate 2
Wires1644.00
      04-01-2017, 11:09 PM   #3
Minkeebluee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
There is an easy way to test if your suspension is indeed bottoming out. Tie a zip-tie on the shaft of the strut and shock and go out for a drive. Inspect where the zip-tie end up is a good indication of how far the strut or shock has compressed. If the zip-tie is just shy or at the bottom of the bump stop, you are good. If it's halfway or most of the way up the bump stop, you may have struts and shocks that are lost compression damping and are not able to slow down the the compression stroke.
I appreciate it the advice. I tried it and it seemed normal. Took it to BMW and they said all four of my wheels are bent. Don't know how that came up after asking them to check three times before my warranty ended, and then they say all four wheels and one of my tires have a bubble. Good to know my suspension is fine, but figured I'd follow up.
      04-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #4
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Runflats are very bad for wheels indeed. Are they replacing bent wheels under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkeebluee View Post
I appreciate it the advice. I tried it and it seemed normal. Took it to BMW and they said all four of my wheels are bent. Don't know how that came up after asking them to check three times before my warranty ended, and then they say all four wheels and one of my tires have a bubble. Good to know my suspension is fine, but figured I'd follow up.
Glad you got everything taken care of!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
Minkeebluee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Glad you got everything taken care of!
Thanks
      04-23-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
Minkeebluee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
Runflats are very bad for wheels indeed. Are they replacing bent wheels under warranty?
No they quoted me $2600 for replacement wheels and tires.

I could go to autorimshop and get oem replacements for $150-$200 a rim. Not sure if anyone had any experience with these but have been thinking about it.

Also, I read that the Pirelli tires are rougher and louder ride, because they are "Ultra High Performance", than continental and saw that continental has better ride comfort and tire noise rating. But read somewhere else that The P7 Cinturato All Season Plus has better ride and road noise than the continental.

With that being said, I am not sure if I should just get new tires, or just get a whole tire and wheel package.

Last edited by Minkeebluee; 04-23-2017 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
Minkeebluee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Got a second opinion. I do need new wheels and tires, but the loud noises from bumps in the road was due to needing an alignment pretty badly. And I was completely ignorant to what a wheel alignment is and does.

Suspension was fine. Just in case someone else out there in the world was having a similar issue. Took it to bmw service three times and it took that many to figure out it was mainly an alignment issue. Even with the banged up wheels, it is remarkably better ride and handling wise. Feels almost brand new !!

New tires and wheels ordered and delivering in a day or two.