THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Elite (M240i)

02-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: DINANTRONICS Elite (M240i)

Name:  DME8_DPT_Banner2.jpg
Views: 9198
Size:  203.2 KB

DINANTRONICS Elite For the BMW F2x M240i

While the SPORT Tuner for the B58 engine has been out for a little over a month now and has garnered some great results along with some impressive feedback from the community at large we were also hard at work developing a variant of a more advanced tuning solution for the platform as well. That solution, the new DME8 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner, offers the end user a more sophisticated control unit with more capabilities and inputs than its more basic SPORT brethren. This allows for more power, and control, to be achieved with the new device. As a result this allows the product to carry the world renowned factory matching warranty Dinan is synonymous with.

The new generation of DINANTRONICS Performance Tuners is upon us and the future is blisteringly fast.

Part Number: D440-0051-ST1
Applications: 2017 F22 M240i Coupe, 2017 F23 M240i Convertible
Product Page / Pricing: https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...ries&mid=1256/
Max Power Gains: +47 HP / +63 TRQ
Install Time: 1 hour
Release Date: Available Now!

Name:  DPT8_1.jpg
Views: 8873
Size:  147.0 KB

Description: Stage 1 (DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner ONLY) Maximum Power on the F22/23 M240i 414 HP, 478 lb-ft of torque.

The Dinan Difference

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is a highly engineered piece of computer hardware and software that enhances engine performance to levels the stock programming is not allowed to venture into. It does this without negatively affecting your new car warranty coverage and without affecting long term reliability or the functionality of on-board diagnostic systems. It is also the only tuning device designed to be emissions legal in all 50 states. These items are unique to Dinan and together they embody the apex of performance engineering in a powerful, reliable, and warrantied package.

The Dinan Difference is possible by employing a full staff of talented engineers that are well rounded in many facets of automotive engineering and backed by a wealth of hands on knowledge. Stemming from diverse backgrounds not only on racing teams but on standard factory production line vehicles we have seen it all. Manipulating these signals with an adept hand all the while keeping an engine running at its best and with the most reliable power is what Dinan is all about.

Well Engineered

Plug-in tuning devices all have one thing in common, they send a modified signal to the factory ECU, telling it the boost pressure is below target values. This then causes the factory ECU to raise the boost pressure to what it thinks is the correct value. This modified boost pressure signal causes errors in fuel mixture and ignition timing. These errors can cause the on-board diagnostics systems to set faults, but they can also cause exceedingly high catalyst temperatures and a loss of power. In addition, when power is increased, exhaust gas temperature will increase as well and this must be countered with a slightly richer air/fuel mixture. The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner has the capability to correct short term trim as well as ignition timing errors induced by raising boost pressure. This enables Dinan calibration engineers to optimize air/fuel mixture and ignition timing at elevated boost pressure throughout the entire gamut of engine RPM and engine load. Additionally, the ability to correct short term trim corrections (the difference between target and scheduled fuel mixture) remain within OEM specifications. This minimizes knock sensor activity, which in turn means smooth engine performance, catalyst protection and power increase, while this is also required to make the car emissions legal.

State-of-the-Art Hardware

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is engineered using the best possible components and advanced hardware. The wiring harness uses OE connectors and expandable braided wiring sleeves ensuring that all visible components appear as if they come straight from the factory. More importantly however it guarantees long lasting and dependable performance due to the use of high heat, moisture and abrasion resistant materials and design. The other hardware element involved is the Dinan electronic control unit (ECU) itself. While its outward appearance may seem tame, the processing power and sophistication held within its internal circuitry is anything but. Capable of delivering signals to various systems at an astonishing 4000 times per second the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner yields the power to control all current signals delivered to the ECU as well as those developed in the future without a hiccup in performance or reliability. This immense processing power equates to a high degree of engine control resulting in a much lower likelihood of setting a fault. In addition smoother running conditions and superior drivability are achieved, all of which are Dinan hallmarks.

Unmatched Warranty

Dinan's comprehensive warranty program, introduced in 1997, provides superior warranty coverage to that which you would find elsewhere. If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty, Dinan® products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty. The manufacturer's new car warranty is limited to 4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers in Canada), commencing on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is first placed in-service as a demonstrator or company vehicle, whichever is earlier. Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold. BMW automobiles can now be performance-tuned without the associated concern of negatively affecting the new car warranty coverage.

Designed to be 50 State Emissions Legal

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner was designed and built to be the only tuning box on the market that is emissions legal in all 50 states. CARB EO has been submitted and approval is pending.

Drivability

There is more to a tune than just cranking up the boost. Power needs to come on smoothly and in a predictable way to make the car as fun to drive at wide open throttle as cruising around town. It is your BMW, but reborn with new found acceleration and speed.

Installation

Installation takes under an hour and is available through our network of 300+ Dinan Dealers. Log on to www.dinancars.com to find your nearest dealer.

Easy To Use

Dinan's ECU is Bluetooth® Smart meaning that you can change maps simply via a Bluetooth connection on your iPhone or Android device. Just install and you are done!

Designed for the Future

The DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner was engineered with future expansion of functionality in mind. Boasting the most powerful processing power on the market the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner can handle more functions and processes than any of its contemporaries. To that end the Dinan performance tuner is capable of interfacing with much more should the need arise down the road. This means that when new functions are developed there will be no need for a new tuning module. Simply a short software update at your local Dinan dealer. Potentially a supplemental harness may be needed to take full advantage of more advanced stages and bolt-ons in future development. Also keep in mind that if you are upgrading in stages, the only cost incurred to you is the price difference between the two stages (and any supporting hardware mods).

Satisfaction Guaranteed

Dinan guarantees you will be impressed by the DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner and the performance it provides that we offer a 3-Day return policy. If you aren't satisfied with what the Dinan solution brings to the table within 3 days of install you can go back to your dealer for a full refund (installation labor costs still apply).

For a full breakdown of the various tuning options within the tiered DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner lineup please visit our comparison page, HERE, to understand which step in the 'evolution of power' is right for you.

Name:  F22_M240i_ST1.jpg
Views: 8627
Size:  244.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Great ! But what about the Dinantronics Sport for this engine ? Did you solve the problems with those first delivered units ?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
BadBadDog
Rep
Drives: 1972 Schwinn Cavalcade

Dinan:

Aside from the (relatively) modest gains in HP/Torque over the Sport, and the peace-of-mind of warranty coverage (which, frankly, to me is easily WORTH the extra 1K)...........are there any other difference with the Elite over the Sport?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post
Great ! But what about the Dinantronics Sport for this engine ? Did you solve the problems with those first delivered units ?
We've had 2 units have issues that I am aware of that weren't able to be rectified in the field with some basic troubleshooting. One is on the way back and so we shall see what is going on with that one. From the codes its throwing though the only logical explanation is bad wiring but we shall see when it gets back I suppose. The other, initial one that was first reported, came back and passed the test bench so was installed on our shop 340i and has been running fine with no codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBadDog View Post
Dinan:

Aside from the (relatively) modest gains in HP/Torque over the Sport, and the peace-of-mind of warranty coverage (which, frankly, to me is easily WORTH the extra 1K)...........are there any other difference with the Elite over the Sport?

Thanks!
ELITE utilizes a much more powerful processor and adjusts more parameters so drivability as a result is smoother. ELITE also is upgradeable meaning that as hard parts are released it will be able to be upgraded to further stages of tuning to extract more power out of those hard parts instead of just being capped at the +4 PSI boost like the SPORT unit.

Of course warranty is still the biggest difference though.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Ordered! $660 price drop from the M235i Stage 1 tune. Nice!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
BadBadDog
Rep

I'm in!

But curious ........On the Dinan site, the M240i page for the DPT has the HP/Torque graph for the 340i/440i application (flog the website guy/gal). What is noticeable is that although the 340i/440i use the same B58 engine, the curves are markedly different than those for the m240i as in the first post in this thread. Any thoughts as to why this is?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBadDog View Post
I'm in!

But curious ........On the Dinan site, the M240i page for the DPT has the HP/Torque graph for the 340i/440i application (flog the website guy/gal). What is noticeable is that although the 340i/440i use the same B58 engine, the curves are markedly different than those for the m240i as in the first post in this thread. Any thoughts as to why this is?
Graph changed. Our backend of or website is clunky and when duplicating products as a template sometimes the imagery doesn't change over for some inexplicable reason. But I digress...

Curves actually arent that different. Graphs are a different scales so that doesn't help but the M240i is more aggressively tuned from the factory so the low end starts out a decent chunk higher then the 340i and tapers from there. The curves themselves though are very similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
BadBadDog
Rep

Thanks --- looking forward to fun with the Elite (AFTER the winter tires and wheels come off)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #9
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Honestly not a bad deal for a tune with warranty coverage for under $1,500. Yes I know you can get more with JB4 if adding bolt ons and better fuel. But for the average daily driver, looks promising. If, and that could be a big if, the power numbers' claimed match the actual results. I paid I think $700 for my AA8 tune that I've got to install myself and carries no warranty. I'd be temped if I swap out my m235i for an m240 next year.

On Dinan's website the M235i with big turbo, intake, and intercooler makes 20 less torque than this stage 1 tune on the M240i. That would be pretty impressive if legit as the package to get that power on the m235 is $6,500 plus the cost of installing all those other bolt ons.
      02-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #10
BPAC306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240I X

Must the dealer install the tune to keep he warranty or can we do this ourselves?

12.3 @ 108 Stock
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPAC306 View Post
Must the dealer install the tune to keep he warranty or can we do this ourselves?
^^I'd like to know this as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #12
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

I am a little skeptical how much more would I feel in the car from the sport to this stage 1 as the HP increase is minimal and the torque is just 10 lb/ft more for $1k more. Will all the other changes this new stage 1 really make a difference while driving? Or is it kind of more like behind the scenes so the car won't blow? I don't think I'll add any more to the engine other than this tune. Plus, I'd like to know about the dealer install too or not.

Also, if I am only using 91 Octane, will I have to wait for a stage 1 map?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #13
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
As I understand it, like any Dinan part, you can install it yourself or have a non-Dinan dealer install it, but if you f-it-up and it ends up causing damage it won't be covered by the warranty.
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:43 PM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
^^I'd like to know this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
I am a little skeptical how much more would I feel in the car from the sport to this stage 1 as the HP increase is minimal and the torque is just 10 lb/ft more for $1k more. Will all the other changes this new stage 1 really make a difference while driving? Or is it kind of more like behind the scenes so the car won't blow? I don't think I'll add any more to the engine other than this tune. Plus, I'd like to know about the dealer install too or not.

Also, if I am only using 91 Octane, will I have to wait for a stage 1 map?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
As I understand it, like any Dinan part, you can install it yourself or have a non-Dinan dealer install it, but if you f-it-up and it ends up causing damage it won't be covered by the warranty.
What RotorOver said.

In regards to Bruins questions... The stage 1 versus SPORT in terms of peak power are very similar and chances are you wont feel much difference in the "seat of the pants" between the two in terms of raw power. The stage 1 however is going to have better drivability as it has more control in how boost/fuel is delivered. Then of course there is the warranty aspect with stage 1 having the matching factory warranty and the SPORT not.

With 91 octane the stage 1, or the SPORT for that matter, will work just fine. Just wont have quite the advertised gains is all with the lesser quality fuel. 15-20% reduction in advertised gains is usually pretty typical.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #15
BPAC306
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240I X

My BMW Dealer quoted $80 for the 15 Minutes it will take to install... Im going this rout.

Dinan, when the "hard parts" come out (intake, exhaust) what will we need to do to program the unit? update via phone app?

Any word on the intake / resonator delete... or any other goodies?

Last edited by BPAC306; 02-27-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:12 PM   #16
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My BMW Dealer quoted $80 for the 15 Minutes it will take to install... Im going this rout.

Dinan, when the "hard parts" come out (intake, exhaust) what will we need to do to program the unit? update via phone app?

Any word on the intake / resonator delete... or any other goodies?
Stage upgrades will still have to be performed at the dealer when the hard parts and their applicable stages are released.

Exhaust/mid-pipe should be out sometime in March. No ETA on the intake... carbon stuff is not worth guessing on as it could change at the drop of a hat.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #17
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Stage upgrades will still have to be performed at the dealer when the hard parts and their applicable stages are released.

Exhaust/mid-pipe should be out sometime in March. No ETA on the intake... carbon stuff is not worth guessing on as it could change at the drop of a hat.
So the stage 1 and assuming future 2 and 3 are not an ECU flash right?

Its a piggyback of sorts?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #18
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
So the stage 1 and assuming future 2 and 3 are not an ECU flash right?

Its a piggyback of sorts?
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #19
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Correct.
So in the event that the vendor needs to update the ECU its a "simple" disconnect before and reconnect afterwards......with battery disconnected of course

Is there any solution Dinan offers in case someone as a BMW that is electronically limited to 130 or so MPH?

For some reason I thought Dinan offered ECU flashing as well....
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So in the event that the vendor needs to update the ECU its a "simple" disconnect before and reconnect afterwards......with battery disconnected of course

Is there any solution Dinan offers in case someone as a BMW that is electronically limited to 130 or so MPH?

For some reason I thought Dinan offered ECU flashing as well....
Update would be done through bluetooth at the dealer. No need to disconnect anything.

We offered ECU flashes via OBDII on E chassis cars and the very early F chassis cars. Since they have changed DME's however we have been locked out and in order to change the speed limiter it requires the physical manipulation of the DME and a bench flash. With our relationships and warranty obligations this method is not one that fits our business model.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:52 PM   #21
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Update would be done through bluetooth at the dealer. No need to disconnect anything.

We offered ECU flashes via OBDII on E chassis cars and the very early F chassis cars. Since they have changed DME's however we have been locked out and in order to change the speed limiter it requires the physical manipulation of the DME and a bench flash. With our relationships and warranty obligations this method is not one that fits our business model.
Thanks for the info

I'm assuming that S1 is simply the first release and we will see other more aggressive options in 2/3 once intake, exhaust and possibly big turbo/intercooler options become avail.

If someone were to go with whats currently avail in S1 is there an upgrade path to S2 if we wanted to at a later point in time once its avail?

Would it require a replacement of existing?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #22
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info

I'm assuming that S1 is simply the first release and we will see other more aggressive options in 2/3 once intake, exhaust and possibly big turbo/intercooler options become avail.

If someone were to go with whats currently avail in S1 is there an upgrade path to S2 if we wanted to at a later point in time once its avail?

Would it require a replacement of existing?
Stage 1 is just the beginning. As hard parts are released further upgraded stages will also be released to take advantage of those hard parts. When upgrading the tune you would just be paying the difference between each stage.
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50