BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
jimmy13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328, M3 Coupe

M3 vs ISF and the S5

Just got back from the ride and drive for BMW. OMG is all I have to say.

The ISF is a good try for Lexus but it is not even in the same playing field and the M3.

The ISF is very nose heavy and at high speeds it's tight but out of the corners it lacks the thrust. It is a good car for someone that has never driven a BMW and wants a performance car.

The S5 I must say I am very destroyed on how this car handled, my god what was Audi thinking. The breaks were spongy, the steering at high speeds plain and simple SUCK!!!!! I was going 80 and started to corner and I felt like the car was not in my control at all between the servos kicking in on the steering giving me under and over steering issues the dam all wheel drive went nuts. It felt like the car was floating ala a fast couch 

The really missed the boat on this car for true performance.

The M3 is the king, the best dam car I have driven and I drive all of the BMW's for work. This car handles like the prom queen getting it on for the first time tight and cleans. I hit 110 on a straight away and it was just asking for more and then I took the corner hard minimal body roll and it was incredible.

I must say if you had doubts about how this would handle at high speeds, it is a sure bet you will LOVE and Lust this M3.

Last edited by jimmy13; 04-21-2008 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy13 View Post
Just got back from the ride and drive for BMW. OMG is all I have to say.

The ISF is a good try for Lexus but it is not even in the same playing field and the M3.

The ISF is very nose heavy and at high speeds it's tight but out of the corners it lacks the thrust. It is a good car for someone that has never driven a BMW and wants a performance car.

The S5 I must say I am very destroyed on how this car handled, my god what was Audio thinking. The breaks were spongy, the steering at high speeds plain and simple SUCK!!!!! I was going 80 and started to corner and I felt like the car was not in my control at all between the servos kicking in on the steering giving me under and over steering issues the dam all wheel drive went nuts. It felt like the car was floating ala a fast couch 

The really missed the boat on this car for true performance.

The M3 is the king, the best dam car I have driven and I drive all of the BMW's for work. This car handles like the prom queen getting it on for the first time tight and cleans. I hit 110 on a straight away and it was just asking for more and then I took the corner hard minimal body roll and it was incredible.

I must say if you had doubts about how this would handle at high speeds, it is a sure bet you will LOVE and Lust this M3.
Audio is well known for there spongy breaks. I wish that they wood brake out of the mold.

Seriously though, thanks for the eval.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

good lord

Quote:
Thank you for visiting The BMW Client Advisors. We are dedicated to excellence in all phases of your BMW ownership. This starts before and after your decision to purchase the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. We will make sure you have the #1 rated quality care and service with long-term customer support. We have been BMW Client Advisors for many satisfied customers in Hampton Roads area. In addition to new vehicles, we can offer Certified Pre-Owned vehicles that meet your demanding standards. If you have any questions or need more information to make a great decision about a BMW, feel free to call us anytime. Check out the new X6 at the bottom of the page.

Sincerely your Client Advisors,

Jimmy and Brett

Last edited by rai; 04-20-2008 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
jimmy13
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes I sell BMW's but this was a total open minded eval. I was looking very forward to driving the ISF and my boss freaked out when I told him I was thinking about buying one.

I own the products I sell and have friends that work at other dealerships and the drive BMW's.

What do you drive buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Yes I sell BMW's but this was a total open minded eval. I was looking very forward to driving the ISF and my boss freaked out when I told him I was thinking about buying one.

I own the products I sell and have friends that work at other dealerships and the drive BMW's.

What do you drive buddy?
Rai drives a 2003 S2000.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
jimmy13
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok, no harm gentlemen I just wanted to give some nice real feedback. I know anybody can buy what they want and in the car business I need to know what everone else is doing.

I love BMW's and after this test drive at the perfomance center I understand totally why they bring "JOY" to people.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

I've been with too many car salesman who claim their car is the best car in the world.

Car salesman are not reliable or objective IMO.

The old how do you know so and so is lying?

His lips are moving.

I have a M3 on order so I know it's a fine car, doesn't make the audio a bad car.

Last edited by rai; 04-20-2008 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Jimmy,

Nice to see your BMW enthusiasm shine through but to trash you competitors cars is not good salesmanship for the BMW brand. It not only appears heavily biased but a bit naive. I can go to a Lexus and Audi dealership tomorrow and hear the same thing from them but it will be the BMW that is trashed. So who is a guy to believe? I will tell you, the person to believe is the one who will acknowledges the weaknesses of the cars they
are enamored with as well as the strengths of their competitors. When I visit a car dealership, the thing that turns me off more than anything is when they start trashing the competitor...misinformed at best and selling a poor product at worst.

Anyway, thanks for posting your experience. I am jealous about your opportunity to test all the cars at once. What a great opportunity. Maybe next time you wouldn't mind telling us a positive thing about the other cars as well, in order to increase the knowledge base of the readers who frequent this forum.

By the way, as you can see my main car is a 91 Accord 5mt with plus 200k. One of the sweetist shifting trannies made. You are probably not impressed with my ride, but I sure am.

Last edited by ruff; 04-20-2008 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #9
BMW3R
Bimmer User
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 Mazda3  [0.00]
I am not buying a car from Jimmy, but I hope his report is accurate. It would have been more credible had he compared each cars strengths and weaknesses, but we are on a BMW forum, so I wouldn't expect nothing more.

After driving an '08 335 with I-Drive, my only concern about an '08 M3 purchase is how well the I-Drive will work. We all know the engine, brakes and suspension are great!

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #10
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

My uncle used to work for Ford, we owned a BMW at the time and he said they're junk (compared to Fords). It's nice to believe in what you sell but if Audi or Lexus didn't make nice cars they wouldn't be selling as well as they do.

Audi S5 for one does not claim to be an all out performance car so maybe they are looking for more luxury (soft ride) some people prefer and as the S5 is mid-way in price between the 335 and the M3 it's not the same target. Would be like saying the 335i is lesser than the M3 wouldn't you think it should be?

I have a S2000, 07 MDX as well and a Sienna and a 07 Legacy and I have driven cars that cost 3X (and more) than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

I drove an Audio S5 and its handling did not destroy me - backto back with my e46 M3 I was pretty impressed with the Audio handling. although nowhere near close enough to make me even consider the Audio.

04-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

The Audio is sexy-looking. That is my review.
      04-20-2008, 11:20 PM   #13
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post

x2 ^

.... and the Audio interior is awesome also.
      04-21-2008, 04:19 AM   #14
V8convert
Private
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the perfect V8

Also beware of the imminent Audio RS
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
jimmy13
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did not mean to trash the other cars. My Mom has an A4 and a Caymen, My Dad drives the new R8 which he loves. I love all cars but I just expected more, as we all do for our mighty buck.

I am very lucky to be where I am because I am looking for another car and driving at this even gave me a good platform to choose from other brands without anyone on my back.

If my clients ask my about other cars I tell them people have a wide range of taste and the comp is very close it depends on what you are looking for in a car.

To answer the IDrive question it seems to be faster in the M3 than it is in any other BMW.

All the best gentlemen.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
I drove an Audio S5 and its handling did not destroy me - backto back with my e46 M3 I was pretty impressed with the Audio handling. although nowhere near close enough to make me even consider the Audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
x2 ^

.... and the Audio interior is awesome also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8convert View Post
Also beware of the imminent Audio RS
alright, wtf is going on here?

Say it with me people (type it with me): AUDI. Thats A, U, D, I.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
jimmy13,

Are you seriously a car salesman, somehow I doubt this as you can't even get the name right, it's Audi not Audio. I have owned the car in question (S5) for some months and neither the brakes or steering is that bad, sure the M3 is better but the gap between them isn't as huge as you are making out.

It's surprising that some reviews have placed the S5 ahead of the M3 when compared, not an opinion I spare as I know the M3 is better but shows that things are closer than some clearly think, yourself included because in your eyes the two aren't even in the same ball park which is definitely wrong.

A very one sided opinion of the competition which may go down well with some here but doesn't win you any favours among the ones who know these cars better. Clearly to sale cars you neither have to know what you are talking about or have any driving skills what so ever.

God help you if your dealership ever changes brands as some serious back peddling will be required.

Last edited by footie; 05-29-2009 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #18
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
alright, wtf is going on here?

Say it with me people (type it with me): AUDI. Thats A, U, D, I.

haha

04-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #19
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
jimmy13,

Are you seriously a car salesman, somehow I doubt this as you can't even get the name right, it's Audi not Audio. I have owned the car in question (S5) for some months now and neither the brakes or steering is that bad, sure the M3 is better but the gap between them isn't as huge as you are making out.

It's surprising that some reviews have placed the S5 ahead of the M3 when compared, not an opinion I spare as I know the M3 is better but shows that things are closer than some clearly think, yourself included because in your eyes the two aren't even in the same ball park which is definitely wrong.

A very one sided opinion of the competition which may go down well with some here but doesn't win you any favours among the ones who know these cars better. Clearly to sale cars you neither have to know what you are talking about or have any driving skills what so ever.

God help you if your dealership ever changes brands as some serious back peddling will be required.

check out this article. it has the vauxhall and the cayman thrown in the mix with the m3 and the s5. the m3 prevails, but footie is right about a lot that he says. plus, the s5 being 4 wheel drive, it is obviously going to feel much different through the corners.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...vs_rivals.html
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
sayemthree
Major General
Rep

yes - the Audio RS5 will be mean.
      04-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #21
jimmy13
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ruff thanks for the reply, I am the first to say I drove the S5 for the first time and I was hoping for it to live up to the hype one of my buddies was telling me about.

As a everyday driver it is a good car but would I buy one most likley not. But to each his own.

As far as attackin me as a Client Advisor, I do a grat job and make a way above standard living do it. I use to work as and Electrical Engineer for a company and I enjoy this way more.

Also for the record I am German don't let the americian name fool ya.

All the best,

Nicht wird jeder ausgeschnitten, ein BMW zu besitzen, aber Sie sollten die Wahl haben

Haben Sie Spaß auf diesem Forum und haben Sie eine große Nacht jeden.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #22
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Nicht wird jeder ausgeschnitten, ein BMW zu besitzen, aber Sie sollten die Wahl haben

Haben Sie Spaß auf diesem Forum und haben Sie eine große Nacht jeden.
good point, you too!
Appreciate 0