E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > FMIC with stock connectors?

02-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

FMIC with stock connectors?

I am looking for some input on which FMIC will fit my 2011 335 M-Sport. The FMIC must have stock connectors and require little to no cutting.

Thanks,
      02-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp xDrive

I was thinking of getting the AA sport but I'm waiting for andrew to email me back about whether it requires cutting or uses stock connectors. It looks like it does use OEM connectors though!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335XI Sedan

VSFR 5 inch doesn't require cutting. I just bought this yesterday. I know Wagner used the stock C clips but is pricey, $700 VSFR is $470
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:43 AM   #4
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Wagner Evo 1 performance.

great intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
olivojoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANMVQ View Post
VSFR 5 inch doesn't require cutting. I just bought this yesterday. I know Wagner used the stock C clips but is pricey, $700 VSFR is $470
Have you installed it yet? Mine (5"stepped VRSF) required cutting off and removal of the sock connectors. If I remember right, I had to replace the J pipe on the intake side, and remove the stock C clip and rubber boot (destructively) from the turbo side. I installed mine well over a year ago though, so maybe they have revised the design.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to reply to OP. I know when I was shopping around the Mishimoto FMIC used stock connections, but again it is very pricey.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivojoe View Post
Have you installed it yet? Mine (5"stepped VRSF) required cutting off and removal of the sock connectors. If I remember right, I had to replace the J pipe on the intake side, and remove the stock C clip and rubber boot (destructively) from the turbo side. I installed mine well over a year ago though, so maybe they have revised the design.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to reply to OP. I know when I was shopping around the Mishimoto FMIC used stock connections, but again it is very pricey.
I have not going in Wednesday, but the I bought the lower pipe upgrade from them that they suggest and Tiago told me it was a strait plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
Doesn't require cutting to fit, but you will have to cut off the band holding one of the factory pipes, as the vrsf intercoolers do not use the factory quick disconnects.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
Boosted2000Si
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

I had no idea this was an issue, having to cut the ends of the pipes.

How much of a pain is it to do this? Once you cut the ends/quick connects off you can basically fit any intercooler you want on there right?
      02-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #9
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep

I decided to buy the AA intercooler since Andrew said that the sport doesn't require any cutting and uses oem connectors.

It's $399 shipped from x-ph if they still have stock. You can try emailing mike@x-ph
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
Kevin39
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted2000Si View Post
I had no idea this was an issue, having to cut the ends of the pipes.

How much of a pain is it to do this? Once you cut the ends/quick connects off you can basically fit any intercooler you want on there right?
The cutting everyone is talking about is cutting into the plastic in the back of the bumper to make room for the intercooler. I had to trim out maybe an inch wide strip the length of the intercooler to make it fit and mount back up. Some of the smaller ones will fit without trimming the plastic.

At least that's the cutting I'm assuming everyone is talking about. I didn't cut anything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #11
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
Doesn't require cutting to fit, but you will have to cut off the band holding one of the factory pipes, as the vrsf intercoolers do not use the factory quick disconnects.

Well that sux,:/ I didn't want to cut anything and considering it takes Tiago 2 days to reply to PM's and there is NO phone number I stuck with cutting the pipes. I probably should have waited on day on this. I thought them being local would have helped, No cause is a "shell" address and the fact they have no phone number should have caused me to wait. If I saw the AA on sale I would have bought that one.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Well that sux,:/ I didn't want to cut anything and considering it takes Tiago 2 days to reply to PM's and there is NO phone number I stuck with cutting the pipes. I probably should have waited on day on this. I thought them being local would have helped, No cause is a "shell" address and the fact they have no phone number should have caused me to wait. If I saw the AA on sale I would have bought that one.
I was in exactly the same boat, for what it's worth. Was PMing with Tiago for a B-stock unit and he promised pictures last Thursday. No word as of yet so I jumped on the AA unit from x-ph.com per what flexbrah mentioned above. I'm not 100% sold on the AA FMIC being plug and play, though -- the install PDF on AA's website and other posts about it all mention a small amount of cutting is required. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
I was in exactly the same boat, for what it's worth. Was PMing with Tiago for a B-stock unit and he promised pictures last Thursday. No word as of yet so I jumped on the AA unit from x-ph.com per what flexbrah mentioned above. I'm not 100% sold on the AA FMIC being plug and play, though -- the install PDF on AA's website and other posts about it all mention a small amount of cutting is required. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Yeah that's what I was wondering too.. because I saw the cutting on the pdf but maybe that's for the race intercooler which is huge.

Here's the response from andrew@activeautowerke
Appreciate 1
velociti181.50
      02-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexbrah View Post
Yeah that's what I was wondering too.. because I saw the cutting on the pdf but maybe that's for the race intercooler which is huge.
Sweet. That thing is a screaming deal, then, even for those who will be having a shop install it. Can't wait.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

I think the AA Intercooler seems like an amazing value. Any reason to spend more on another brand or just pull the trigger on the FMIC on sale?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #16
ANMVQ
Lieutenant
Rep

So, I'm guessing email is the way with him. Tiago emailed me right back and told me the reason cutting of the stock connections is they have proven to leak about stock PSI and the 1.8 neck down. The VRSF uses 2.75 to increase the overal flow. So sounds like it might be worth it. Thank you Tiago
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
I think the AA Intercooler seems like an amazing value. Any reason to spend more on another brand or just pull the trigger on the FMIC on sale?
For a 5", I'm drawing a blank. The VRSF stepped version might be a bit more effective, but non-stock connections. VRSF's 7" looks killer for the price, but I'm pretty sure that requires cutting, and it might not be ideal for cars with basic mods -- seems like it's a better option for FBO or hybrid turbo builds. The Wagner looks to be a bit more efficient than the AA since it's stepped, but at almost 50% greater cost. For daily drivers like me, the AA seems perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:19 PM   #18
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociti View Post
For a 5", I'm drawing a blank. The VRSF stepped version might be a bit more effective, but non-stock connections. VRSF's 7" looks killer for the price, but I'm pretty sure that requires cutting, and it might not be ideal for cars with basic mods -- seems like it's a better option for FBO or hybrid turbo builds. The Wagner looks to be a bit more efficient than the AA since it's stepped, but at almost 50% greater cost. For daily drivers like me, the AA seems perfect.
I was pretty much between paying $440 for VRSF or $400 for the smaller AA -- The only thing that bothered me when I was reading up on the VRSF was that the quality of it wasn't as great as the other brands, many of them came damaged and had poor fitment. But minus that, everyone is pretty happy with the performance of them. I drive like a grandpa 95% of the time so I won't really be doing a bunch of WOT pulls back to back to back.

I wanted the wagner because of the design but it was out of my price range
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #19
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexbrah View Post
I was pretty much between paying $440 for VRSF or $400 for the smaller AA -- The only thing that bothered me when I was reading up on the VRSF was that the quality of it wasn't as great as the other brands, many of them came damaged and had poor fitment. But minus that, everyone is pretty happy with the performance of them. I drive like a grandpa 95% of the time so I won't really be doing a bunch of WOT pulls back to back to back.

I wanted the wagner because of the design but it was out of my price range
I hear you on that. It's hard to steer away from AA at that value. Wagner does make a great product for sure but is 50% more basically. The only other one that has my interest is he Phoenix Racing FMIC. That is a sick price. But is it too good to be true???
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #20
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Quote:
There are two potential areas that may need cutting. One is when your intercooler does not use the stock quick disconnects. The only thing that needs to be cut is a hose clamp that is not reusable. You don't have to cut it, but it's easier to remove it if you do a small cut where it is designed to break free from. There are many instructions showing how to do this, just google it. It is very easy. You are not cutting pipes. Look at step 10 here: http://www.fabspeed.com/templates/__...structions.pdf

The other type of cutting is due to an intercooler that won't fit in the stock space. This requires trimming of the plastic shrouding to get the intercooler to fit. The amount that needs to be trimmed depends on the intercooler and should be very well known since most intercoolers have been out for a long time.

Last edited by houtan; 02-27-2017 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:05 PM   #21
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
The OEM connectors are are a massive restriction on this platform. They neck down to less than 2" and have proven to leak over 16 psi. The size of the AA core is also very limited. If you're going to go with a 5" core, make sure it's stepped. The extra volume makes all the difference in terms of flow and temperature control.
Appreciate 1
ANMVQ113.50
      02-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #22
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The OEM connectors are are a massive restriction on this platform. They neck down to less than 2" and have proven to leak over 16 psi. The size of the AA core is also very limited. If you're going to go with a 5" core, make sure it's stepped. The extra volume makes all the difference in terms of flow and temperature control.
Tiago, thanks for your input. Based on your comments, which FMIC do you recommend then? Again, for a spirited DD.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0