E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aftermarket Amp Install...power cable

03-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
peteranton
Rep
Drives: M340i, 135i E88, X1

Aftermarket Amp Install...power cable

Folks are purchasing a power cable with their Technic harness (at least with the XD600/6v2 amp). I completely understand why as an aftermarket amp requires more power over the OEM HiFi amp.

'11 E92, with the Bavsound S1.

But try as I might, I can not get an answer as to why one is not required with the Bimmertech amp. Asked, but never answered. I understand they are forum sponsors, and I'll pay extra for PnP. Understand that no offense is intended.

Or...just I'm missing something.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The reason is they want to make this a plug an play system
so any idiot can plug it in.
Is it better to go with thicker wire run directly to the battery

Is it lower resistance yes are you dropping less power on the line
yes.
Is it worth your trouble you have to decide.
Its not that hard to do but to route it without crimping the cable
under something you have to go over the wheel well across the trunk
floor behind the passenger seat and over the wheel well on the battery
side.

email and discuss with this guy.
Ask how much advantage it is to use real power wire.

Nelson@BimmerTech

Also talk to 6spdcoupe at Unexpected Creations they do there
kits with real power wire .

Last edited by ctuna; 03-07-2017 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
peteranton
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
email and discuss with this guy.
Ask how much advantage it is to use real power wire.

Nelson@BimmerTech
Again, asked and not answered.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Go Horns!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

An aftermarket power supply is not needed because the power that goes to the OEM amp is sufficient to power the bimmertech amp.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

I don't suggest purchasing from technic.

i placed a order for the amp install cable and power cable (100 dollarish purchase) and was simply refunded the next day with no correspondence or explaination.

so i bought another cheaper cable from ebay.

still wish i would have gotten the technic cable, but only because it came with the power cable.

You can do a relatively easy "amperes to wire gauge" lookup on google. i'm not sure what the stock wire is, but if your ampere load is greater than the suggested load for that cable size, i would say go for the upgraded cable size. that was my intent.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
The amp documentation itself appears to require a 8 AWG power run fused at 50 amps. https://www.bimmer-tech.net/customer...BA-PP82DSP.pdf

The stock line is fused at 30 amps providing specified protection for the stock equipment and the wire gauge running to it.

Pulling max power, you would be able to draw enough amperage to blow the OEM fuse to protect the oem conductor. I would assume in reality this would be very unlikely, and, as such, Bimmertech is comfortable that the majority of users would not blow the fuse.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:37 AM   #7
peteranton
Rep

Thanks.

According the Nelson, they do not have a E92 tune file (for Bavsound speakers), and I would be unable to set the levels since I do not own a PC. It seems the extra cost for the PP82DSP would be useless to me.

So the difference is -for me-
XD600/6v2 -needs power cable, no EQ but able to set levels.
Bimmertech amp -no power cable, not able to EQ or set levels.

Correct?

Last edited by peteranton; 03-09-2017 at 04:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteranton View Post
Thanks.

According the Nelson, they do not have a E92 tune file (for Bavsound speakers), and I would be unable to set the levels since I do not own a PC. It seems the extra cost for the PP82DSP would be useless to me.

So the difference is -for me-
XD600/6v2 -needs power cable, no EQ but able to set levels.
Bimmertech amp -no power cable, not able to EQ or set levels.

Correct?
I'm sure you could find someone that would loan you a laptop for an hour to program. I definitely wouldn't run an amp in this configuration without the ability to adjust channel levels to increase the power going to the under seat woofers compared to the front doors.

Remember the battery is in the trunk. "Running the power cable" is not a huge task.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You might want to call Unexpected Creations and see what they
can do for you with the Helix.(canned sound files)
If you buy a Helix and you are an audiophile you are going to want
to tweak with it.(and you will probably spend a lot of time with it)
Either way you go it will be much better than stock even with non
perfect settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
peteranton
Rep

Again, thanks.

I was never was concerned about doing the power cable connection. There are plenty of suggestions where to route it. Just wondered why it was not required with the PP82DSP.

Just looking to add something extra to the BS Stage One (which made a world of difference), and I know I'll get that by replacing the stock amp. And I can't justify paying a PnP "premium" if I'm still required to mess with a setup.

It seems now it's a no-brainer getting the JL Amp+Technic harness because there are a lot of DIY installs, with dial starting points. And all for $300 less.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
It seems now it's a no-brainer getting the JL Amp+Technic harness because there are a lot of DIY installs, with dial starting points. And all for $300 less.
Let me know how that goes. Like i said, I didn't get any correspondence after an order. Just a refund and disappointment.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Again, thanks.

I was never was concerned about doing the power cable connection. There are plenty of suggestions where to route it. Just wondered why it was not required with the PP82DSP.

Just looking to add something extra to the BS Stage One (which made a world of difference), and I know I'll get that by replacing the stock amp. And I can't justify paying a PnP "premium" if I'm still required to mess with a setup.

Actually The BS speakers are not really much of an improvement over factory HiFi speakers - just convenient as they are PnP. They also don't recommend using an aftermarket amp with more power than factory amp to power them...

Don't get me wrong, I 'fell' for the BS speakers as my 1st combo replacement, didn't really notice any improvement. Next I was using all Jehnert speakers with the XD600 amp (& using separate heavier power wire/60amp fuse included with Technic harness) - that made quite a difference.

But eventually I went with the Bimmertech PnP DSP/Amp WITHOUT the separate power wire & custom tune & Jehnerts - which has been the best so far. Prolly not optimal for all those audiophiles out there, but good enough improvement for my daily driver.

Been using the PnP DSP with only factory power wire since the DSP unit 1st came out & I have had absolutely no problems - but I'm also not trying to vibrate the windows

If I remember well, the Bimmertech DSP/Amp is not rated as high in output as the XD600 so there may not be a need for the separate power supply
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #13
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Quote:
Again, thanks.

Actually The BS speakers are not really much of an improvement over factory HiFi speakers - just convenient as they are PnP. They also don't recommend using an aftermarket amp with more power than factory amp to power them...

Don't get me wrong, I 'fell' for the BS speakers as my 1st combo replacement, didn't really notice any improvement. Next I was using all Jehnert speakers with the XD600 amp (& using separate heavier power wire/60amp fuse included with Technic harness) - that made quite a difference.

But eventually I went with the Bimmertech PnP DSP/Amp WITHOUT the separate power wire & custom tune & Jehnerts - which has been the best so far. Prolly not optimal for all those audiophiles out there, but good enough improvement for my daily driver.

Been using the PnP DSP with only factory power wire since the DSP unit 1st came out & I have had absolutely no problems - but I'm also not trying to vibrate the windows

If I remember well, the Bimmertech DSP/Amp is not rated as high in output as the XD600 so there may not be a need for the separate power supply
Have you considered a Rockford Fosgate 363.3
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

The reason you need a separate power run is because ALL the oem systems (even top-hifi) use small "IC" integrated circuit type amps which draw very little current (MS-8 internal amps use this same design)

Any aftermarket power amplifier will use a discrete amplifier and draw much more current. Oem wiring is insufficient.
Appreciate 0