E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Exterior / Cosmetic Parts > WTB: Rear License Plate LED lights

04-22-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

WTB: Rear License Plate LED lights

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Hey guys, I've read in the beginning that those who don't have LED's in the rear have to purchase a brand new retrofit kit -- from BMW that basically replaces the housing as well as the bulb... And that was pretty pricey.

Then, i think i read that JLEVI produced LED's that just plug into the existing light socket... Can anyone steer me in the proper direction regarding what route I should go for the LED lights for my rear license plate? Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Hey guys, I've read in the beginning that those who don't have LED's in the rear have to purchase a brand new retrofit kit -- from BMW that basically replaces the housing as well as the bulb... And that was pretty pricey.

Then, i think i read that JLEVI produced LED's that just plug into the existing light socket... Can anyone steer me in the proper direction regarding what route I should go for the LED lights for my rear license plate? Thanks!
I got the ones from JLevi and are happy with them. They look so... much better than stock. Plus, their customer service is EXCELLENT!!!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
I got the ones from JLevi and are happy with them. They look so... much better than stock. Plus, their customer service is EXCELLENT!!!
Are they just plug and play? I'm assuming no errors, etc... And how much did you pay with shipping?

Btw, thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
I just ordered the JleviSW v2 lights, hoping for no errors, sounds like the error depends on the programming of your car - he assured me if there were errors I can get a replacement/full refund.

Seems like most people do not get an error with v2

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
It depends. I have an 06 325i and it threw an error code. Basically it's this: if when you unlock your car the license plate lights light up you will be fine. Otherwise it will throw a code. Seeing that you joined in 06 I think it will throw a code. Worst case you could buy it and return it no questions asked. JLevi was really awesome about that.
      04-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Bimmer335i07
BK Employee of the month! / Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
Are they just plug and play? I'm assuming no errors, etc... And how much did you pay with shipping?

Btw, thanks in advance for your help!
I got it from here. It's around $30 or something like that. And it's PnP. Just take out your old bulb and replace it with the new ones. Very simple to install. If you do get it, just want you to know that they are directional or whatever you call it. So when you install it and it doesn't light up, just take the bulb out and turn it around.

GL!

Sponsored by: Pics of the ---> Barbera Beast <---
Martino Auto Concepts (Like them on Facebook MAC) Factory Trained & Authorized by BMW of North America

Matt@Camber-Toe (Like them on Facebook Camber-Toe)
LuxAngelEyes (Like them on Facebook LuxAngelEyes)
LTBMW (Like them on Facebook LTBMW)
OEMconcepts (Like them on Facebook OEMconcepts)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daya View Post
I just ordered the JleviSW v2 lights, hoping for no errors, sounds like the error depends on the programming of your car - he assured me if there were errors I can get a replacement/full refund.

Seems like most people do not get an error with v2
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inabis View Post
It depends. I have an 06 325i and it threw an error code. Basically it's this: if when you unlock your car the license plate lights light up you will be fine. Otherwise it will throw a code. Seeing that you joined in 06 I think it will throw a code. Worst case you could buy it and return it no questions asked. JLevi was really awesome about that.
I also have an 06 325i. It sucks, that I might throw a code -- codes really bother the hell out of me. I mean, the refund is no issue, but how much was shipping--altogether?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer335i07 View Post
I got it from here. It's around $30 or something like that. And it's PnP. Just take out your old bulb and replace it with the new ones. Very simple to install. If you do get it, just want you to know that they are directional or whatever you call it. So when you install it and it doesn't light up, just take the bulb out and turn it around.

GL!
That's really helpful info if I decide to go this route. Thanks for all your help guys!!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
inabis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
if you want to return it you'll lose 12-15 bucks b/c they dont refund you on shipping and you gotta pay to send it back

I ended up getting lucky and buying the ones from EO_E90 or something....it was a unit built by someone on the board...included a resistor and were awesome!! On that note, all you need is a resistor and this problem goes away

PM MDS82 I know he made his own and try this guy

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...esistor&page=3
      04-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

inabis, thanks for the info. It seems a little pricey at $85 and, for me, not worth doing the mod. Plus, i don't want to fiddle with the wires, etc... Nonetheless, I'll look into the JLEVI bulbs. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0