F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bilstein B8 + H&R super sport , bump stop?
proTUNING Freaks

03-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

Bilstein B8 + H&R super sport , bump stop?

Got the H&R super sport springs and about to buy bilstein B8 shocks Q is are you guys using bump stop for this setup?

Saw that dinan has some but kind of pricey for bump stops

What do you think?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep

^
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

dinan bumpstops (basically oem cut in half) are designed to be used with the OEM strut. since the b8's are shorter than OEM you do not need the Dinan. also, i believe bilstein design omits the bumpstops altogether (bumpstop is within the strut housing) but i'm not absolutely certain of this.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 03-15-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

You don't need bump stops for the front B8 struts, but my mechanic used the OEM ones for rear shocks.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Ofaceomar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport Alpine White

Agreed I have the B8s on all four corner and H&R SS. The rears can reuse the bump stop, but the fronts aren't needed.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #6
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing View Post
Got the H&R super sport springs and about to buy bilstein B8 shocks Q is are you guys using bump stop for this setup?

Saw that dinan has some but kind of pricey for bump stops

What do you think?

Thanks
Is your car a RWD F30 335i?

If so, don't even bother with the H&R SS/Bilstein B6 combo. Just go for the M Performance Suspension Kit.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #7
rjmatx
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / S2000

I'm just chiming in to say THANK YOU! I was just checking the forums and was about to ask this very question.

I was installing Bilstein B8s with H&R sports today and ran into the bump stop-or-no dilemma. The front shocks clearly state not to use the bump stops, but the rears are not so clear. For the rears, there's no way to reuse the factory shaft cover w/o reusing the bump stop as well, so I went with the bump stops. (haven't finished yet, so I can't report on results... 1 corner still to go)

Btw, I'm replacing the factory M Performance suspension, so I can't recommend going that route.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:26 AM   #8
R330dx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Panamera

I would recommend with b6/b8 checking your damper travel front and rear to the bump stops at the new ride height, you might find your actually riding on them, with the fronts checking has to be done by measuring, with the rear its quite easy to check. If like me you not happy riding on bump stops the front dampers will need taking apart to trim the internal bilstein stops as i'm not aware of any other alternative, with rear I used stock m3 bump stops these are shorter and a straight swap sorting the rear travel issues very nicely giving 15-20mm of free travel before touching the progressive stops.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:49 AM   #9
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmatx View Post
I'm just chiming in to say THANK YOU! I was just checking the forums and was about to ask this very question.

I was installing Bilstein B8s with H&R sports today and ran into the bump stop-or-no dilemma. The front shocks clearly state not to use the bump stops, but the rears are not so clear. For the rears, there's no way to reuse the factory shaft cover w/o reusing the bump stop as well, so I went with the bump stops. (haven't finished yet, so I can't report on results... 1 corner still to go)

Btw, I'm replacing the factory M Performance suspension, so I can't recommend going that route.
Nice let me know what you think onces you got every thing install, i had to much work to get around to installing mine.

Ps: im also getting rid of the factory M suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R330dx View Post
I would recommend with b6/b8 checking your damper travel front and rear to the bump stops at the new ride height, you might find your actually riding on them, with the fronts checking has to be done by measuring, with the rear its quite easy to check. If like me you not happy riding on bump stops the front dampers will need taking apart to trim the internal bilstein stops as i'm not aware of any other alternative, with rear I used stock m3 bump stops these are shorter and a straight swap sorting the rear travel issues very nicely giving 15-20mm of free travel before touching the progressive stops.

Nice i did not think of getting M3 bump stop for the rear i might check that out .
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 03:55 AM   #10
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmatx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing View Post
Nice let me know what you think onces you got every thing install, i had to much work to get around to installing mine.

Ps: im also getting rid of the factory M suspension.
You do realize that the Sportline trim as well as the M Sport trim comes with the factory "Sport" suspension (aka 704 suspension) even though the car may be an 'M Sport' trim right?

Are you replacing the factory "Sport" suspension or are you replacing your port-installed M Performance Suspension?

It's pretty easy to tell. If your springs are red, then you likely have the M Performance Suspension.

Going from the actual matched spring/strut M Performance Suspension to Bilstein/H&R combo is going backwards. You'll likely have something that doesn't handle as well nor rides comfortable for DD.

Last edited by Polo08816; 03-24-2017 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 04:52 PM   #11
rjmatx
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / S2000

Yes - if there is a port installed option I don't have that, so it's the factory sport suspension.

Anyways, got the install done, and measured the travel with with the rear bump stops in. There's maybe .5" of travel, so I'll probably be putting in M3 stops some point in the near future or maybe cutting the stock ones down.

But regardless of that, the ride is great. Huge improvement. The annoying squatting and diving is pretty much gone, and a better feel all the way around. The roads around here are pretty good, so not harsh at all. To me this is the way a base 3 series should feel, with plenty of room for "sportier" options.

Also, got about a 1" drop all the way around. Looks just right now, not to low for a responsible adult :0
Appreciate 1
Gr-Racing205.50