F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Break Lines
Extreme Powerhouse

03-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
J_MENIS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i

Break Lines

Has anyone swapped to stainless still braided? And got any major difference in pedal feel?
      03-18-2017, 10:39 PM   #2
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

You wont feel a large difference especially in normal driving conditions as you simply will not be building up enough pressure. You will notice it on the track, though you will appreciate the thermal efficiency more than pedal feel.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 1
J_MENIS114.50
      03-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Concur! Over the years I've upgraded to stainless braided lines on all my cars and unless you are tracking or driving very aggressively, you will notice minimal difference depending on how old you OEM flex lines are. Under "spirited" normal driving i have a slightly firmer pedal when depressed moderately or harder. If you decided to go with braided lines, I recommend you get those that are DOT approved and have the external Teflon coating to prevent deteriation of the braiding.
Appreciate 1
J_MENIS114.50
      03-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
J_MENIS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Concur! Over the years I've upgraded to stainless braided lines on all my cars and unless you are tracking or driving very aggressively, you will notice minimal difference depending on how old you OEM flex lines are. Under "spirited" normal driving i have a slightly firmer pedal when depressed moderately or harder. If you decided to go with braided lines, I recommend you get those that are DOT approved and have the external Teflon coating to prevent deteriation of the braiding.
Yeah the thing is the pedal feel on my 435i feels mushy. And I do drive spiritedly very often. I overall just want to minimize the travel space in the pedal and get a more firm feel. I just changed pads a couple months ago to stoptec

30k on oem breaklines
      03-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_MENIS View Post
Yeah the thing is the pedal feel on my 435i feels mushy. And I do drive spiritedly very often. I overall just want to minimize the travel space in the pedal and get a more firm feel. I just changed pads a couple months ago to stoptec

30k on oem breaklines
We probably have the same mushy brakes then - non M Sport, but still 4 piston front, single piston rear/340mm front/330mm rear system. I asked my selling dealer about this last week when I had the 10K oil change service done and they (of course) said "operating as designed". BPC in Raleigh is changing my pads to Hawk 5.0s this Friday as I've heard the pad change really really helps the feel.
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #6
J_MENIS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_MENIS View Post

30k on oem breaklines
We probably have the same mushy brakes then - non M Sport, but still 4 piston front, single piston rear/340mm front/330mm rear system. I asked my selling dealer about this last week when I had the 10K oil change service done and they (of course) said "operating as designed". BPC in Raleigh is changing my pads to Hawk 5.0s this Friday as I've heard the pad change really really helps the feel.
When i changes the pads to Stoptec street pads, pedal feel was barely noticeable. I feel like it's my lines or rotors that are leading to the mush.

Even a couple thousand miles after swapping pads, the breaks still squeak under certain circumstances.
      03-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Never heard of rotors causing soft pedal. More likely if it is abnormally soft you may have some air in the lines.
Appreciate 0