BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) Black Sapphire X1 - Two Weeks Ownership

03-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #1
gissoni
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 F48

Black Sapphire X1 - Two Weeks Ownership

Hello forum, I just came from an Audi and im finding the car amazing ! Very spacious , Nice interior ( Compared to the other SUV's in the same category, it's the best) and the same goes for the engine!
It has been a struggle to choose between Alpine white / Sapphire Black but I ended picking up the BS , despite the hard maintenance, i just came from 2 White cars and I found the jet black kinda opaque.
It has Leather Beige Interior ,and the paint looks amazing after a wash!

I have some questions though, Are the foglight bulbs H8? are they easily replaceable? because mine is Yellowish kinda classes with the Full led headlights...
My screen size is a little smaller than the ones i've seen here... do the sdrive20 and xdrive25 come with the same screen Widht?
Has anyone seen that anti-scratch coating? will it make the painting less shiny ? I wonder if the trade-off worths it
By the way, my car was assembled in Brazil !

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gissoni View Post
Hello forum, I just came from an Audi and im finding the car amazing ! Very spacious , Nice interior ( Compared to the other SUV's in the same category, it's the best) and the same goes for the engine!
It has been a struggle to choose between Alpine white / Sapphire Black but I ended picking up the BS , despite the hard maintenance, i just came from 2 White cars and I found the jet black kinda opaque.
It has Leather Beige Interior ,and the paint looks amazing after a wash!

I have some questions though, Are the foglight bulbs H8? are they easily replaceable? because mine is Yellowish kinda classes with the Full led headlights...
My screen size is a little smaller than the ones i've seen here... do the sdrive20 and xdrive25 come with the same screen Widht?
Has anyone seen that anti-scratch coating? will it make the painting less shiny ? I wonder if the trade-off worths it
By the way, my car was assembled in Brazil !

First and foremost, Congrats! The sapphire black looks awesome, i debated between alpine white and sapphire black but went with the AW. The black trim and even silver goes great with the black though, blends in seamlessly.

Fogs are H8, idk why bmw would put these ugly ass halogen yellow fogs in with these beautiful LED headlights. That is one of the first things i did, code the car to keep the fogs on with only the parking lights and changed the fogs to philips h8 dedicated fog LEDs. As well as the corresponding coding to disable error checks for LEDs in the fogs. I actually tried 3 sets, had the GPThunder H8 7500K Halogen bulbs... they were okay but not bright enough for me. Then i tried some cheap chinese Amazon "Sirius LED" H8 "foglight bulbs" and the way the bulb is setup.... lets just say i could see light in the top of the trees when i was driving lol. The last was the Philips and by far, they are the best. I can drive with them on at night with just the parking lights and its almost as if i have my headlights on. The light output is awesome and with the way their made, they have a perfect cutoff.... in a halogen housing no less. Its insane. They are a little pricey at $100+ shipped but so worth it, you get what you pay for. A tiny little modification is required, there is a heatsink on the back of the bulb that protrudes a little further then the stock OEM halogen bulbs so the plastic guide that the foglight housing slides into need to have about a quarter size notch cut out of the middle. Took 2 seconds each side with a dremel then they fit perfectly. Another user on here gave me the recommendation and he had the same done. If you search my threads, lookup my LED thread and he posted pictures as well as the values needed to be coded. These are the only fogs i would use on this car, period. I just did the Burger Tuning interior/exterior LEDs all around as well which made a huge difference in looks as well, i will take some pictures and post them in my LED thread soon.

As for the screen, i believe with the technology pacakage you get the 8.8 inch screen otherwise the 6.9 inch is standard. My car didnt come with the tech package and i have the smaller screen.

Anti scratch coating? Im not familiar with it, i know here people wrap say the front bumper, fenders, partial doors, mirror caps, etc... Sometimes even the whole car if they have the money in 3M clear wrap. Protects from rock chips and road rash. I didnt do it because my car is a lease and the wrap can be a bit costly but had i financed it, i would definitely do it. The front of my car already has got some battle scars since i do a good bit of driving daily, i just used some touch up paint to fix it for now.

Best of luck with the new ride!

Ninja edit: Here's a link to the Philips LED Fog Bulbs in case your interested.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tre...ps+h8+led+fogs
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

Also another thing, that black piano key trim is gonna drive you nuts! Looks so good but it scratches super easy so just a heads up... be careful! To clean it, just wipe it down with something super super soft. Any type of abrasive or even if you push hard enough wihle cleaning... you get swirls/scratches.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Strudle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG X1, 2017 MW 430

I have the piano black trim too and it's terrible. ScratchX is helpful though.
Appreciate 0