JEP09
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
BMW M Performance Rear Diffuser

I'm having issues installing mine. None of the tabs would clip onto the bumper. I bought it used from another member on the forum. I asked him about it and he told that the tabs are one time use and I will need to take in to BMW to have it installed. Does this sound right? Would I be able to return them to the seller? I paid via Paypla and he lied about the condition of the diffuser. He said they're were like new and he only had them for 3 months, but the diffuser had a lot of imperfections. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Can you post some photos?

Sounds like the tabs were broken from
Removal when he shipped it to you. Taking it to BMW won't do anything, they'd have to get a new diffuser if they've been sheared off.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
JEP09
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Can you post some photos?

Sounds like the tabs were broken from
Removal when he shipped it to you. Taking it to BMW won't do anything, they'd have to get a new diffuser if they've been sheared off.
Here are some pics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
When you say the tabs won't clip into the bummer what do you mean? Do they clip in and then slide out or do they just not want to go in all the way?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
JEP09
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
When you say the tabs won't clip into the bummer what do you mean? Do they clip in and then slide out or do they just not want to go in all the way?
I'm unable to push them all the way in. They're are gaps between the diffuser and the bumper. It looks like the tabs, where it clips onto the bumper are not long enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Understood. This might not be an issue with the part. When I fitted mine (new car, new part) the tabs are quite fat in comparison to the slots in the bumper. They required quite a bit of effort to make fit.... especially the centre four. in the end I lined them up and then just thumped the diffused with the fleshly lower part of my fist.

There is a really good IND fitting guide on here which might be worth a read.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
JEP09
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Understood. This might not be an issue with the part. When I fitted mine (new car, new part) the tabs are quite fat in comparison to the slots in the bumper. They required quite a bit of effort to make fit.... especially the centre four. in the end I lined them up and then just thumped the diffused with the fleshly lower part of my fist.

There is a really good IND fitting guide on here which might be worth a read.
Thanks for the feedback. I did follow IND's DIY installation. The crazy thing is, even though the 4 centers tabs doesn't lock in, they good when I pushed them in. The corner tabs doesn't look good. You can see the gaps between the bumper and the diffuser.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
JEP09
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
The corner tabs are supposed to be the easiest ones. Since I'm able to push the back of the bumper and diffuser together. But it won't clip and there's a hug gap between the diffuser and bumper. I could live without them clipping on, as long as it looks clean and they're no gaps.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #9
JEP09
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Here's a picture of the gap on the driver side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, as I suspected, those are not in. You need to thump it to make the go through the hole!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #11
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

I did mine a couple months ago, so I have to admit I don't remember exactly what I did. However I do know that sprayed some soapy water on it from the inside to lubricate the tabs/slots, and jammed a piece of wood in from the inside, lined it up where it made sense and used my hand to pound it in. That may help.

For the record though, and I've seen another picture on this forum that looks similar, there will be a small, maybe 1/16" gap on the driver side where you can see space between the diffuser and the bumper like in your picture. Just not as bad as in your picture.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
JEP09108.50
      03-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
mjsaville
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 LLB - Arrived 4th Mar 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP09 View Post
I'm having issues installing mine. None of the tabs would clip onto the bumper. I bought it used from another member on the forum. I asked him about it and he told that the tabs are one time use and I will need to take in to BMW to have it installed. Does this sound right? Would I be able to return them to the seller? I paid via Paypla and he lied about the condition of the diffuser. He said they're were like new and he only had them for 3 months, but the diffuser had a lot of imperfections. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.
I would dispute the transaction with PayPal, as long as it wasn't PayPal gift. Let them know the item is not as described. PayPal should be able to help you...

MJ
Appreciate 1
JEP09108.50
      03-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #13
M2 Blur
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsaville View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEP09 View Post
I would dispute the transaction with PayPal, as long as it wasn't PayPal gift. Let them know the item is not as described. PayPal should be able to help you...

MJ
Sorry to hear you had issues. It's a risk we take buying used parts.

Using PayPal for the transaction is a great recommendation! This is why I will only buy parts from a 3rd party (not a reseller) using PayPal. It give you some comfort knowing that you can dispute and protect yourself if the part isn't as described, you have issues and the seller is not working with you to remedy the problem.

If you buy from a reseller, AmEx is a good source for warranty and protection too.
Appreciate 1
JEP09108.50
      03-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Did your guys' diffusers have what seems to look like paper on the back side (non visible side)? Looks like a lot of white paper looking material, as if the cleaning process wasn't complete. Is that normal? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #15
Enriquezar1
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbavar2 View Post
Did your guys' diffusers have what seems to look like paper on the back side (non visible side)? Looks like a lot of white paper looking material, as if the cleaning process wasn't complete. Is that normal? Thanks!
Mine did and I peeled most of it off. I don't know if it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #16
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquezar1 View Post
Mine did and I peeled most of it off. I don't know if it's normal.
Thanks! IND said that BMW started leaving it on, it is normal.
Appreciate 0