F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Aftermarket Coilovers vs. Stock EDC
GetBMWParts

03-23-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
izaazk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Aftermarket Coilovers vs. Stock EDC

I tried searching but couldn't find anything specific for f30s...

I have the f30 335... and the body roll is HORRIBLE along with the high ride height!!!

I am looking into a full coilovers setup but I don't want to lose the option of sport sport plus eco etc.....

Any ideas on this?? I don't want to buy coils with electronic edc built in... rather save the money for other things
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

I think you can find answers on this very page:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1365855
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1296041
      03-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by izaazk View Post

I have the f30 335... and the body roll is HORRIBLE along with the high ride height!!!

I am looking into a full coilovers setup but I don't want to lose the option of sport sport plus eco etc.....

Any ideas on this?? I don't want to buy coils with electronic edc built in... rather save the money for other things
You should look into a set of stiffer springs, you don't necessarily want "lowering springs" like H&R and others that try to make the car visibly look lowered, anything that starts to get near or over a 1" drop from stock can be too low for the factory dampers and you'll start to notice some slightly odd ride & handling behavior when the road gets bumpy. There are some spring kits that are designed with handling in mind more than aesthetics, a set of slightly lower and stiffer springs can work wonders with an adaptive suspension like the BMW EDC / M Adaptive system.

I have driven tons of E92 M3s on various coilovers but for aggressive street / bumpy canyon driving, my personal M3 on Swift Spec-R springs and the factory EDC dampers felt excellent, especially considering how little the springs + installation + a proper alignment costs vs a full aftermarket coilover setup. An aftermarket coilover setup would ultimately perform better, especially under track conditions, but the jump from stock to stock dampers + Swift springs was surprisingly big and enough to keep my happy for the rest of my time driving that car.

I just replaced my current F30's M Adaptive suspension with full passive coilovers and am loving the responsiveness, agility, and firmness of the Ohlins but if you don't want to spend the money for a whole different setup or to give up the comfort of the EDC's Comfort mode, I would consider Swift Spec-R (I've seen them announced for F30 but not sure if they're on sale quite yet), AC Schnitzer, Dinan, or Eibach springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
CQVD330
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by izaazk View Post

You should look into a set of stiffer springs, you don't necessarily want "lowering springs" like H&R and others that try to make the car visibly look lowered, anything that starts to get near or over a 1" drop from stock can be too low for the factory dampers and you'll start to notice some slightly odd ride & handling behavior when the road gets bumpy. There are some spring kits that are designed with handling in mind more than aesthetics, a set of slightly lower and stiffer springs can work wonders with an adaptive suspension like the BMW EDC / M Adaptive system.

I have driven tons of E92 M3s on various coilovers but for aggressive street / bumpy canyon driving, my personal M3 on Swift Spec-R springs and the factory EDC dampers felt excellent, especially considering how little the springs + installation + a proper alignment costs vs a full aftermarket coilover setup. An aftermarket coilover setup would ultimately perform better, especially under track conditions, but the jump from stock to stock dampers + Swift springs was surprisingly big and enough to keep my happy for the rest of my time driving that car.

I just replaced my current F30's M Adaptive suspension with full passive coilovers and am loving the responsiveness, agility, and firmness of the Ohlins but if you don't want to spend the money for a whole different setup or to give up the comfort of the EDC's Comfort mode, I would consider Swift Spec-R (I've seen them announced for F30 but not sure if they're on sale quite yet), AC Schnitzer, Dinan, or Eibach springs.
You should consider the Dinan shockware . You will be pleasently surprised on how this changes the suspension behavior positively and barely eliminates unwanted body roll. After that , you will know if you still want to explore the avenue of changing springs .
2017 340i LCI //Glacier Silver Metallic //xDrive//MPPSK//Premium Package//M sport brakes //Vossen 20" CV7//6 MT//Performance front spoiler//Performance side blades//Performance diffuser//Performance trunk spoiler//Tinted//Coded//Painted reflectors//Matte black 340i badge//Powder coated MPPSK tips
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
jaymax
F30 328i Msports N20+ERDP+CP+TIC+FMIC+MPE+ JB4
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BM3 Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post

can u share your experience on disabling your edc. thx
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymax View Post
can u share your experience on disabling your edc. thx
I actually haven't had time to disable EDC on my car yet, currently driving around with the error codes and the chassis malfunction warning on my dash
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
jaymax
F30 328i Msports N20+ERDP+CP+TIC+FMIC+MPE+ JB4
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BM3 Stage 2

oh my and it runs fine ie dsc dtc etc still functional, jus the error pops up? how does the steering feel like? does it feel heavy on sports+ mode or light like in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0