BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
edlms
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Dyno Results (Updated with Stock vs Modded (CAI+Exhaust) Graph)

Here's the charts.
The mech changed up at 8250 (not 8400).

I'm not very mech/tech minded, and my reason for doing this dyno is to form the basis for my future mods.

As per my other thread on the GruppeM CAI and Exhaust, I've been advised to let the mods bed down for around 500km before doing another dyno test to show the improvements to HP and Torque (if any).

Cheers

Update - there appears to be a modest increase of 7bhp (at peak) and around 5-18bhp across the rev range.

ps didn't get the printout for hp at the wheels... sorry.

cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by edlms; 05-02-2008 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Is that good, bad or about right? All these dynos are different and the they come up with 3 or 4 power readings. Just cant make sense of it...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Beautiful! Look at that torque curve...I love it. I'm glad someone is taking the initiative to do a base line and then more after the mods are installed.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
Is that good, bad or about right? All these dynos are different and the they come up with 3 or 4 power readings. Just cant make sense of it...
The torque readings are pretty much in line with the results reported by RRI (see thread):

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136529

Download the detailed spreadsheet in PS and Kgm units and read the values from the Corrected Power and Corrected Torque columns, which take pressure and temp differences into account. Then compare those numbers to the corrected figures on the posted output sheet. You'll see:

Corrected Wheel Torque/Total Reduction:
RRI: 37.3 Kgm @3911 rpm
OP: 37.2 Kgm @3965 rpm

If you compare the wheel torque/total reduction readings over the entire rev range, they are in agreement, so I am assuming the OP's chart does not factor in any transmission losses for the torque reading.

However, there is something funky with the power figures. As you can see in the dissipated power reading, they are factoring in a %10 loss to "guess" engine power. If we bypass the engine reading, and just apply the temp and hum correction factor to get the standardize power reading from the 325.3hp figure, we get 335.8 peak hp.

Corrected Wheel Power:
RRI: 374.3 @7518 rpm
OP: 335.8 @7570 rpm

I don't understand why the wt numbers agree, but whp don't. I guess the wt numbers also include the 10% loss factor. In which case, the OP's numbers are about 10% off in general, which can be explained by:

1. RRI uses a hub dyno, whereas the OP used rollers.
2. OP's run was not close to steady-state (I don't know enough about the specifics of dyno run methodology to judge if a 5.8 sec run constitutes steady-state in this case).
3. Instrument differences.
      04-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

im still waiting for some dynojet results.....

we have one where i work.... but i dont have my M yet.....

i will be on the dyno the day mine rolls off the lot... then after brake in... then after each mod.....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #6
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
i will be on the dyno the day mine rolls off the lot... then after brake in... then after each mod.....
That'll make you member of the year. I wouldn't dyno a car before break-in completed though.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

i have a specific break in i do to all my new motors.... to seat the rings.... takes about a hour.. then a oil change..... then im easy on all the other parts that need to be broken in.. the tranny.. dif and such..... but dyno pull isnt hard on any of that stuff....

you can also brake in a motor on the dyno... ive done this over 10 times.... every one showing good reliability and very strong power....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #8
edlms
Private First Class
Rep

Lucid - thanks for analysis. i don't fully comprehend the intricacies of dyno runs and the readings but you've enlightened me a fair bit, especially the differences between RRI's data and mine.

hope to see some HP improvements when i do my next dyno...

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro

Guys, the HP is lower than other dynoes because whoever dynoed the car let off before 8000 rpm. Looks like they let off around 7750 rpm. Doesn't this car make its peak HP at 8300 rpm?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
According to the dyno chart, it had already reached max HP around 7600. There's no point in going up to 8300 when you're already on the downswing.

/PG
If you look at the actual chart, it's obvious the throttle was cut at 7600 rpms, thats why the max was reached there. Look at the actual chart.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
Guys, the HP is lower than other dynoes because whoever dynoed the car let off before 8000 rpm. Looks like they let off around 7750 rpm. Doesn't this car make its peak HP at 8300 rpm?!?!?
Look at the charts from RRI. They have max hp at the wheels @7821 rpm. The max power at the crank could be achieved at a higher rpm, but the transmission losses go up with engine speed, so if the crank gains are very small between 7821 and 8300, the tranmission losses could trump them, and you see what these charts tell us at the wheels.
      04-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On a motor dyno, all power runs are performed at full throttle. You apply more load to the motor until the RPM reduces to the desired measurement point (2000, 3000, 4000, etc.). Once the RPM is at the desired location, you take the TQ/HP measurement and store it. Change the load, to the next desired RPM, take another reading. Continue this process through the entire RPM range until you find max HP; go a little beyond that...and call it a day. Since HP is a direct function of TQ and RPM, there's no point in pushing the motor much beyond the point where you found max HP.
That seems to be the description of a steady-state test. How long would that normally take? Not sure if they did that here. Note the acceleration time of 5.8 sec noted at the bottom of the sheet?
      04-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Doesn't make sense to me. I thought drivetrain loss was just a percentage, so if the engine makes its peak power at 8300rpm then it should also make its peak power to the wheels at 8300rpm. I did take a look at the RRI graphs and it does seem like power drops off at 8k rpm. But if you look at the OP's graph, the graph reaches its peak and then drops substantially leading me to believe they let off on the gas. I think the HP coulda gone up quite a bit more if they went up to 8300rpm.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
Doesn't make sense to me. I thought drivetrain loss was just a percentage, so if the engine makes its peak power at 8300rpm then it should also make its peak power to the wheels at 8300rpm. I did take a look at the RRI graphs and it does seem like power drops off at 8k rpm. But if you look at the OP's graph, the graph reaches its peak and then drops substantially leading me to believe they let off on the gas. I think the HP coulda gone up quite a bit more if they went up to 8300rpm.
Percentage implies a linear relationship between engine speed and loss. That is an approximation. I doubt that it is perfectly linear. At higher engine speeds lubricants behave differently (more heat to be dissipated), and friction losses most likely do not scale up linearly. I don't know this for sure though.

The power in the RRI tests peak around 7821 rpms--not at 8000 rpms.

It is possible that this was an acceleration test and they let go off the gas a bit too early. It would be good to have a few more data points after the peak to verify that the peak has indeed been experienced.
      04-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've always been curious how street car break-in differs from race motor break-in. I worked in the racing industry for a few years in my youth (still friends with all those guys) and we had a 1000hp Dyno. Whether street or racing motor, we broke them in on the dyno. According to us, the dyno was the best way to break it in because you could vary the load and run at different RPMs. Technically, a motor was broken-in when the rings were seated -- which is determined by pulling the spark plugs and looking into the cylinders with an endoscope. If the cylinders and pistons were dry (no oil), the motor was broken-in. Then we'd change the initial oil, and do the power runs. Same on street or racing motors.

So I've always wondered why a break-in needed to be 1200 miles -- when it could be as quickly as a few hours.
1. In the dyno break-in scenario you've outlined, things are tightly controlled and monitored/measured by competent people. There is no way your average consumer can do that properly driving around on the roads. And if they make a mistake, the whole engine can be trashed.
2. Other parts of the drivetrain need to be broken-in as well, which can't be done on an engine dyno.
3. Race engines are for racing. Meaning, they are designed and built differently, and have a significantly different life expectation than passenger cars.
      04-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
08AWM3
Machi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Alpine White E92 M3

That red line is the reason I bought this car. Nice dyno.
      04-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We all agree that street and racing motors are different. I guess I was making two other points, and probably worded it poorly.
1. On the dyno, we broke in street and racing motors the same. Same methodology.
2. Whether street or racing, we considered the motor broken in when the rings were seated properly -- as witnessed when you stick an endoscope down the cylinder and take a look.

Of course other drive train components need to be broken in as well. That's why I chose my words very carefully by only discussing the break in of the motor.

/PG
OK, thanks for the clarification. I think I mixed your post up with another post on this thread by a different person.

In that case, I'd say that it is mainly about the controlled setting and monitoring/measurement issue.

Also, did you actually follow up with the street engines to see how they were holding up with 100000+ miles? And if so, how large was that sample?
      04-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
We all agree that street and racing motors are different. I guess I was making two other points, and probably worded it poorly.
1. On the dyno, we broke in street and racing motors the same. Same methodology.
2. Whether street or racing, we considered the motor broken in when the rings were seated properly -- as witnessed when you stick an endoscope down the cylinder and take a look.

Of course other drive train components need to be broken in as well. That's why I chose my words very carefully by only discussing the break in of the motor.

/PG
I have broken in lots of motors on the dyno with very good results.I have found that most engines will seat the rings in the 1st half hour of running with some variation in load and I have never had an issue with oil usage or blowbye using a rapid breakin and that included 3 previous M-cars.My last Ducati came with very specific break in instructions just like my M3 did and because the dyno was broken,it had to be broken in on the road.
The dealer who is a racer,said to ignore the manual and just seat the rings as I always done and no prolonged full throttle(top speed runs) running for a while.The result has been no oil consumption and very little blowbye and thats with 20000 kms of street riding and over 60 track days.My friends who followed the long breakin as per the manual have had blowbye problems including piston & cylinder replacements.
I followed my method on the M3 and so far everything is working good so far!I am very anal about making sure that everything is totaly warmed up(oil temp) before going over 3000 rpm whether it is being "run in" or normal use.That is allways followed on all my vehicles and so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
edlms
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So these were baseline figures -- not including the exhaust?

/PG
yup. this was stock figures before mods.
the change up was at 8250RPM.

really nice to understanding more from reading all these posts.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I have broken in lots of motors on the dyno with very good results.I have found that most engines will seat the rings in the 1st half hour of running with some variation in load and I have never had an issue with oil usage or blowbye using a rapid breakin and that included 3 previous M-cars.
Good information but much of the break in for a regular production vehicle is in the drivetrain, probably even more is required here than for the engine. Clutch, transmission, driveline bearing, differential, etc. These days engines have seen a break in like procedure at the factory but the drivetrain has had very little to nothing done to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 04:04 AM   #21
edlms
Private First Class
Rep

update on first post...

cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #22
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Nice increase. Good to see the intake is good for more than just sound and looks.