BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Comfort seats vs sport seats, dacota vs nappa

03-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Comfort seats vs sport seats, dacota vs nappa

Hello guys. I would like to start a discussion about these differences.

My points from dealer and articles :

Comfort seats
+ worth if you drive at long distances (but why not to have it on short ones too..?)
+ many many many options
+ safety (especially head part)
+ better looking (more luxury)

- more expensive repairs / higher risk of some problem
- price (subjective)

Sport seats
+ price / effectivity
- for some one too hard

Dacota
+ more durable than nappa
- doesnt look that luxury
- not so comfortable like nappa (not that smooth feeling)

Nappa
+ comfort
+ luxury feel
- easy to damage
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #2
alfiemoon13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 530d tourer

I think the answer is in your post. I find Dakota leather to be a 'budget' leather, although very hardwearing. Nappa is a luxury smooth leather. I have never had any damage with Nappa, I've had it in my previous two BMW's, but it get's dirtier easier than Dakota. Comfort seats are a must for me. I travel regularly from the UK to my other home in Croatia. After 2 days of driving & 2,000 kilometres I get out of the car as fresh as if I'd driven 50 kilometres. The new comfort seats are even better than in previous models, even more luxurious. In the UK you cannot specify Nappa leather unless you also specify an MSport model.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

I've heard the comfort seats are bigger, so less legroom in the back.

In some markets you can get the sport seats in cloth and alcantara, and that's great.
I think it's sad BMW doesn't offer this in more markets.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #4
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

I think what you call comfort seats are what we refer to as Multicontour here in the States?

If thats the case, I think they are worth every extra penny. It's one of the 1st boxes I check when ordering a BMW. I think they're one of the best seats period, on any car (unless you're going with a little 2 seater!)

I agree with others that Dakota is quite durable, but if I had a choice I go Nappa every time.

I know others have different experiences and opinions on this.

I have the Nappa and the Multicontour seating and think it's a wonderful combination.

I am still disappointed BMW is offering such few colors to-date with the Nappa. If I ever order a G30, I would want Nappa with the Cognac color.
      03-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiemoon13 View Post
I think the answer is in your post. I find Dakota leather to be a 'budget' leather, although very hardwearing. Nappa is a luxury smooth leather. I have never had any damage with Nappa, I've had it in my previous two BMW's, but it get's dirtier easier than Dakota. Comfort seats are a must for me. I travel regularly from the UK to my other home in Croatia. After 2 days of driving & 2,000 kilometres I get out of the car as fresh as if I'd driven 50 kilometres. The new comfort seats are even better than in previous models, even more luxurious. In the UK you cannot specify Nappa leather unless you also specify an MSport model.
Did you feel big difference in comfort between nappa and dacota ? Meaning both comfort seats option ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest 535i View Post
I think what you call comfort seats are what we refer to as Multicontour here in the States?

If thats the case, I think they are worth every extra penny. It's one of the 1st boxes I check when ordering a BMW. I think they're one of the best seats period, on any car (unless you're going with a little 2 seater!)

I agree with others that Dakota is quite durable, but if I had a choice I go Nappa every time.

I have the Nappa and the Multicontour seating and think it's a wonderful combination.

I am still disappointed BMW is offering such few colors to-date with the Nappa. If I ever order a G30, I would want Nappa with the Cognac color.
Exactly ! So do I.. I dunno what to choose if I would take Nappa.. Black is too common for me. Ivory is not practical and I have so "cold feeling" (only my opinion ! I think it's very nice color but not my cup of tea). So maybe the Mocca.. but it feels so chocolate

Ye and Nappa
- delivery time +1 month (not confirmed but individual for 3er or 4er means +1-2 months delivery.. I still haven't found 100% source if this leather is taken as like individual or not. My dealer haven't answered me)
EDIT :
another - for Nappa (any of the light leather colors) the black plastic control panel on doors looks not so luxury ..

Last edited by BiGFather; 03-25-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
Did you feel big difference in comfort between nappa and dacota ? Meaning both comfort seats option ?

Exactly ! So do I.. I dunno what to choose if I would take Nappa.. Black is too common for me. Ivory is not practical and I have so "cold feeling" (only my opinion ! I think it's very nice color but not my cup of tea). So maybe the Mocca.. but it feels so chocolate

Ye and Nappa
- delivery time +1 month (not confirmed but individual for 3er or 4er means +1-2 months delivery.. I still haven't found 100% source if this leather is taken as like individual or not. My dealer haven't answered me)
I have the oyster nappa and love it...Do a search, there are many of us who took the Oyster plunge and didnt live to regret it lol! But I understand its not for everybody too

That said, I will have to clean it probably 3 times a year. Not a big deal imo and I do wear blue jeans to work most days...
      03-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have the oyster nappa and love it...Do a search, there are many of us who took the Oyster plunge and didnt live to regret it lol! But I understand its not for everybody too

That said, I will have to clean it probably 3 times a year. Not a big deal imo and I do wear blue jeans to work most days...
Only 3 times a year? It's really not that big problem as I thought.. I have read some articles that somebody said something like "5 rides with blue jeans and it's dirty"
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #8
alfiemoon13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 530d tourer

I also have Oyster Nappa on my present car & have specified it on my new G30 530e due to be delivered at the beginning of May. I agree entirely with 'Midwest 535i', it's the first box I tick on the spec list of all the BMW's I buy, I've had Comfort seats on my last three 5 Series. I also have the massage facility. I believe the massage facility on the G30 is amazing, much improved on past models.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #9
nickyhaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Quote:

More colors Will be available as of june in individual including amora and caramel brown..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #10
///Marko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 35d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiemoon13 View Post
I also have Oyster Nappa on my present car & have specified it on my new G30 530e due to be delivered at the beginning of May. I agree entirely with 'Midwest 535i', it's the first box I tick on the spec list of all the BMW's I buy, I've had Comfort seats on my last three 5 Series. I also have the massage facility. I believe the massage facility on the G30 is amazing, much improved on past models.
I've ordered 530e too and the delivery is at July/August. I'm thinking of getting comfort seats first time with massage but there's no review at massage function anywhere. Youtube videos only show how you can adjust the massage. Alcantara with the sport seats are nice too, but I have it too many times with my previous cars. Decisions, decisions.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Are you kidding ? really July/August?? Is that because of the "e" right ?

My dealer told me waiting is usually 2-3months since u placed the order..

When I ordered 4er december they told me latest March, when we had to change it to facelift in Feb they told me April.. Well in Feb we changed it to 5er as final but Germany havent confirmed it yet..

What do you have in contract and when u placed the order with deposit please?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #12
///Marko
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 35d lci

I put my order on 7th of March. Maybe it's so long wait becouse of "e". The good side is there's much time to think and change the options.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #13
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
I put my order on 7th of March. Maybe it's so long wait becouse of "e". The good side is there's much time to think and change the options.
Wow itīs really long...

By the way. So you guys recommend comfort seats.

Should I care about if nappa or dacota? I dont like the control button of seat memory on doors so in case of comfort seats I should mb go for mokka leather.
.. or I stay with dacota cognac and live with that plastic controller
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #14
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree. I so wanted the Cognac leather in Nappa. I didn't want to do another car in Dacota so ended up with Ivory. After seeing it in person I'm happy with it.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
I agree. I so wanted the Cognac leather in Nappa. I didn't want to do another car in Dacota so ended up with Ivory. After seeing it in person I'm happy with it.
Is it really that white as it looks on pics? I seen only Black and some kind of white (that one was in 7er)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #16
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf View Post
Is it really that white as it looks on pics? I seen only Black and some kind of white (that one was in 7er)
It's not as white in person. And that was my concern with it also. That it would be a bitch to keep clean. But it's slightly beigeish to whiteish in color.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #17
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Thank you very much. I will make pressure on the dealer.. I just need to see the interiors personal.. He promised me to "arrange" it for me.. Grr
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #18
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Wow itīs really long...

By the way. So you guys recommend comfort seats.

Should I care about if nappa or dacota? I dont like the control button of seat memory on doors so in case of comfort seats I should mb go for mokka leather.
.. or I stay with dacota cognac and live with that plastic controller
For all of the dismissal of Dakota leather - a sentiment I shared based on the stiff Dakota in my F30 3-series that showed wear on the seat bolsters within two years - I find the Dakota in the new 5 much better. It is soft and supple in a way the old Dakota was not, at least in the cars I have seen. The multicontour seats still seem worth it in the US market - only $700 for a huge improvement in comfort - but I will save my money on the Nappa.

My current 5 has the Nappa leather in ivory white and it is not too hard to keep clean, but it shows wear lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #19
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

You guys made me to think about it.. So I switched it from Cognac Dakota to Mokka Nappa Comfort seats.. Seen them in real and they are really nice...

Btw cognac is also nice but for me a bit more light than I expected and I cant have them in Nappa with ventilation..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #20
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys made me to think about it.. So I switched it from Cognac Dakota to Mokka Nappa Comfort seats.. Seen them in real and they are really nice...

Btw cognac is also nice but for me a bit more light than I expected and I cant have them in Nappa with ventilation..
      03-28-2017, 12:53 AM   #21
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hi man. I found a small typo in your description :-) "Harm-o-n kardon".
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #22
Pictor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50

Garage List
I passed on Nappa because of the quilting and limited color options. I have Merino now and that is a bit jump from Nappa. Yet, I've opted for Dakota. Both Dakota and Nappa don't have extended leather options which is another downfall for both. The under dash colored plastic on Nappa and Dakota don't quite match over time - don't age the same as the leather. In cars with extended Merino leather the under dash area and doors are leather which makes a big difference in the look and feel of the car.
Appreciate 0