BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Which pressure in the Michelin PSS forntrack days ?

03-27-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Which pressure in the Michelin PSS forntrack days ?

WDYT ?
Thx
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

I recommend stock tire pressures if you are just starting. Adjusting only after you learn why you need to.

MPSS are best between 36 and 42 PSI hot - right off the track. Normally, this means starting off around 28 to 34 PSI cool, depends on the air and track temps.

On my 335is 42 front and 38 rear "hot" seemed to be the best, in most cases. Needed a little more in the front, even with -2.8 camber, or the outsides of the tires would take a beating.
      03-27-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLO-M2 View Post
WDYT ?
Thx
28psi front, 29-30 rear brought me up to temp nicely. 37-38 seemed to be the sweet spot for the fronts.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Thanks !
Will just need to google for a PSI <=> bar converter ;-)

Which pressure do you usually apply on street ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 MY17 (March 2017)

What happens if you don't lower the pressure before track day ?
Is it only a grip issue or will there be a wearing issue also....or both ?

Or else can I sacrifice some grip by leaving the pressure as stock recommendations in order to reduce wearing ?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

On the Nurburgring with hot PSS tyres
F: 2.4 bar / R: 2.3 bar

Don't go below 2.2 bar don't go above 2.5 bar (hot)

04-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Thanks. Too bad that I see your message 1 day too late ;-)

Went yesterday to Mettet. Started with the standard pressure. Not great. Then dropped 300g in each tire and was much better !

Was though a bit disappointed by the car on track ;-(
Too heavy and weak brakes (with Ferodo DS2500 pads)...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #8
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Too bad that I see your message 1 day too late ;-)

Went yesterday to Mettet. Started with the standard pressure. Not great. Then dropped 300g in each tire and was much better !

Was though a bit disappointed by the car on track ;-(
Too heavy and weak brakes (with Ferodo DS2500 pads)...
Mettet is not a great track for cars...I don't like it! Certainly with a heavier car like the M2....it would not be that fun. On the other hand; the Nurburgring is great with the M2.

Like I told you; DS2500 is not a pure track pad and I would personally never fit Ferodo on my car's that also sees track. I drove the ring with Endless ME-20 / steel brake linings / Ate Type 200 brake oil and experienced zero fade. The brakes were pretty ok, not the same as the AP racing brakes on my Z4M of course...but for standard 4-piston calliper BMW M brakes it was rather good. The Endless ME-20 do make noise when they are hot!

For tyre pressure on track I use the following (not lower / not higher)
F: 2.3 bar / R: 2.2 bar [] F: 2.4 bar / R: 2.3 bar
      04-09-2017, 12:13 AM   #9
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

It's a nice track but perhaps not for big cars. Most people driving with me there had Lotus or Caterham ;-)

There was also an Ultima, a Ferrari, and a prepared M235i with BMW MPerf brakes and they seem to enjoy it
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 05:24 AM   #10
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

F: 2.3 bar / R: 2.2 bar [] F: 2.4 bar / R: 2.3 bar[/QUOTE]

How do you set the right pressure during the day, if no garage equipment available on track?

Had a track day yesterday, w starting pressure 2,4/2,4 went up to max. 3,0/2,8.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #11
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post

How do you set the right pressure during the day, if no garage equipment available on track?

Had a track day yesterday, w starting pressure 2,4/2,4 went up to max. 3,0/2,8.[/QUOTE]
Depending on the weather I start with F: 2.1 / R:2.0 before I hit the track...after driving the pressure will go up...and when they get to hot I will lower the pressure again (with a simple tyre pressure gauge)..after the track I will pump up my tyres again at a petrol station and drive home.
      04-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #12
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
It's a nice track but perhaps not for big cars. Most people driving with me there had Lotus or Caterham ;-)

There was also an Ultima, a Ferrari, and a prepared M235i with BMW MPerf brakes and they seem to enjoy it
The M2 is a great car. I went back last weekend to do more laps and test my M2 back to back with the Z4M on the Nurburgring.

FULL LAP WITH MY M2

The M2 is fast, more powerful, has a lot of grip...and with the Endless ME-20 brake pads the brakes are really good on track (zero fade, no vibration, good byte, good modulation, not hard on the discs, low wearing pads). But after 10x Nurburgring laps and the back to back test I came to the conclusion that I have more fun, more thrills, more driving sensation, more sense of speed when driving my Z4M on the Nurburgring. It felt so easy in the M2 and the sensation of speed is a lot less in the M2.... You can indeed feel the heavier weight of the M2 (vs Z4M) when you start pushing the car in to corners.

But my M2 is the better, more practical, more enjoyable daily car....that delivers mega-mega fun on the street. I love driving it everyday...I don't want to drive my Z4M everyday. My Z4M is lighter, more fun, more involving drive on track...even if it has less power, lesser front end grip and lower turn in speed. My Z4M is not a standard Z4M (AP racing brakes, Bilstein PSS-10, Vibratech engine mounts, RTAB limiters, etc) so this can influence things...also the weight difference is more noticeable on track (on street this is not an issue). Don't get me wrong the M2 is "straight out of the box" still great on track (with different brake pads), but I like my Z4M more on track... I if did not have a Z4M the of course I would use my M2 for street and track and enjoy it...but I have the luxury of choosing and for driving trackdays my preference goes to my Z4M....and when driving to work or daily usage my lovely M2...

I'm selling my Endless ME-20 pads that I only used 10 laps on the Nurburgring...I'm not going to drive my M2 on track anymore soon..so I'm going to fit more silent street pads again and sell the track orientated Endless. If someone in Europe is interested...send me a message

More info Endless: http://www.prosportauto.co.nz/page/ENDLESS_Brake_Pads/

Last edited by Franzino; 04-10-2017 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:28 AM   #13
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Came to the same conclusion as you ;-)
Very performant but less exciting than other slower but lighter cars.

The Ferodo ds2500 were not bad (stable and no fading) but it is not biting enough for me...although people told me that my tires were already "burning" every time I braked hard at the end of the long straight line !!!
So what will happen with the tires if I upgrade the brakes ? Next step should be new wheels with slicks ??? ... Makes it a bit expensive for 3 track days a year ;-)

The Endless have a very good reputation indeed, but are really expensive compared to others.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #14
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post

Had a track day yesterday, w starting pressure 2,4/2,4 went up to max. 3,0/2,8.
Depending on the weather I start with F: 2.1 / R:2.0 before I hit the track...after driving the pressure will go up...and when they get to hot I will lower the pressure again (with a simple tyre pressure gauge)..after the track I will pump up my tyres again at a petrol station and drive home.[/QUOTE]
You can also use the "vehicle status" of the M2 screen when you drive to have an idea
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 03:35 AM   #15
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Came to the same conclusion as you ;-)
Very performant but less exciting than other slower but lighter cars.

The Ferodo ds2500 were not bad (stable and no fading) but it is not biting enough for me...although people told me that my tires were already "burning" every time I braked hard at the end of the long straight line !!!
So what will happen with the tires if I upgrade the brakes ? Next step should be new wheels with slicks ??? ... Makes it a bit expensive for 3 track days a year ;-)

The Endless have a very good reputation indeed, but are really expensive compared to others.
Correct...but they last a lot longer and are not hard for the discs.... I'm selling mine at a lowered price
      04-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #16
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Franzino : I saw you in some random petrol station in Germany coming from the Nurburgring last Sunday. I was the guy with the black M2 that was leaving when you were parking.

Will go back there Thursday next week and then someday the week after that.
      04-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #17
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
Correct...but they last a lot longer and are not hard for the discs.... I'm selling mine at a lowered price
Don't hesitate to send me your price by private message.
A priori I will buy a set of discs + pads dedicated for the track days + steel lines... but we never know ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #18
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Don't hesitate to send me your price by private message.
A priori I will buy a set of discs + pads dedicated for the track days + steel lines... but we never know ;-)
Why different discs...? There is nothing wrong with the standard M2 discs in my opinion.
      04-11-2017, 11:56 PM   #19
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

I don't know yet which discs, I have to investigate, but the idea is to get dedicated set of race discs + pads (stronger than the Ferodo) and swap with oem between track days.

I use my car daily in Brussels and cannot drive it with real race pads (noise & cold braking).

Apparently swapping only the pads is to be avoided as the pads deposit doesn't like to be mixed with other brands / types, it would end up destroying the discs
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 03:24 AM   #20
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Does not seem so easy to find better discs (for stock calipers) already available for that car actually ;-(

Mosa recommends yellow Pagid on stock discs.
=> If I'm back to that scenario, your Endless might be an option !
What would be your best price ?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:02 AM   #21
Wangspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
I don't know yet which discs, I have to investigate, but the idea is to get dedicated set of race discs + pads (stronger than the Ferodo) and swap with oem between track days.

I use my car daily in Brussels and cannot drive it with real race pads (noise & cold braking).

Apparently swapping only the pads is to be avoided as the pads deposit doesn't like to be mixed with other brands / types, it would end up destroying the discs
It won't "destroy the discs" if you swap pad compounds. Race pads will scrub off whatever compound was on there in just a few stops while cold. I went from stock to PFC08 and back.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #22
OLO-M2
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Haven't experienced it by myself but that's what several brake experts tell ;-)
Appreciate 0