F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Rear brake job required
Extreme Powerhouse

03-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Rear brake job required

I just went at my dealer for a service and by getting the information from the car keys they found that my rear brakes are due in 3month and 2600kms. By that time my car will have roughly 30000 miles so that seem to be the average life length for F3X standard brakes. I saw while doing some search that changing sensor seem to be mandatory at the same time. They quote me for 2 disks do you really have to change them at the first brake job? The total end up to be more than 800$ which I find very high for a 2 brake job.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
The sensor will definitely need changing. As for the rotors, it seems that most if not all dealers want to change them together with the pads.

You need to measure the rotor thickness to determine if it needs replacing but often it's one rotor change for every 2nd pad change.

My fronts needed to be done at about 70k km and the dealer wanted to change both pads and rotors. I ended up doing the brakes myself and only did the pads as there was plenty of life left on the rotors. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
The sensor will definitely need changing. As for the rotors, it seems that most if not all dealers want to change them together with the pads.

You need to measure the rotor thickness to determine if it needs replacing but often it's one rotor change for every 2nd pad change.

My fronts needed to be done at about 70k km and the dealer wanted to change both pads and rotors. I ended up doing the brakes myself and only did the pads as there was plenty of life left on the rotors. YMMV
Thanks that is much appreciated! Still have to find a good tutorial online I never did a pad replacement myself yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
I just went at my dealer for a service and by getting the information from the car keys they found that my rear brakes are due in 3month and 2600kms. By that time my car will have roughly 30000 miles so that seem to be the average life length for F3X standard brakes. I saw while doing some search that changing sensor seem to be mandatory at the same time. They quote me for 2 disks do you really have to change them at the first brake job? The total end up to be more than 800$ which I find very high for a 2 brake job.
Quote:

It isn't "mandatory" to change the brake sensor if your pads aren't really worn.

This is how I swap brake pads between winter and summer seasons.

Winter season = M Sport brake pads
Summer season = M3 brake pads

If you carefully remove the brake pad sensor, you can reuse it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #5
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

It isn't "mandatory" to change the brake sensor if your pads aren't really worn.

I think that in my case it will be necessary as there are getting close to 30000 miles with a lot of city miles.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      03-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
MickAv8r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 EBII 328ix

Quote:
I think that in my case it will be necessary as there are getting close to 30000 miles with a lot of city miles.
It only needs to be changed if the pads are actually worn to the point that the sensor trips. $800 is ridiculous.

2014 328ix EBII - Sport AT, Light Pkg, Blk Dakota, Moonroof, Navigation, Heated Seats, HK Audio, Driver Assist, Sport Pedals, Dinan Springs, Bilstein B8s, M-Performance BBK
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      03-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

rear brakes should take at most 30 minutes a side as a diy. Since we dont have an eletronic parking brake, just pop the cap on the resevoir, push back the piston, unbolt the hold down screw on the rotor. put on new rotor and hold down screw. put in new pads, add spring clip.

brake parts can be purchased from ECS or TMS pretty cheaply.
      03-30-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

In the US this is covered by the maintenance plan up to MY 2016. Yes they do replace rotors and wear sensors too
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
In the US this is covered by the maintenance plan up to MY 2016. Yes they do replace rotors and wear sensors too
I'm in Canada so brake aren't cover under the free maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Tbh I run the M performance BBK and I just tucked both of my sensors and zip tied them. They don't indicate correct wear until the very end anyway. If you know brakes and what to look for you'll know when new pads are due. Sensors are a waste of $18 each but that's just my opinion. Not expensive I know but if you're hard on the car and track I suggest zip tie em away out of the brake pad.

Zip and tuck and forever forget about it.
      04-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #11
Hobie18
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328ix

I just did my rear brakes last month. The only difficultly was removing the wheels as they stuck to the hubs and required using a BFH to loosen. If the wheels have been removed recently they shouldn't stick. I applied anti seize to eliminate future sticking.
There are a couple of videos you can view BimmerTech I think had one
I bought parts from Rockauto.com far less $ than others. You only need 1 sensor wire. Its easy to replace it connects in a small junction box hidden under plastic fender liner at corner of the trunk.(Not shown on videos.) You only need to remove 1 or 2 screws to bend it for access.

My car has 53,000 miles and I kept the rotors as they were in good shape.
I needed to buy 1 torx bit and a jack pad (round puck) off Amazon.
My total cost for parts and tools I was less than $75.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:46 AM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie18 View Post
I just did my rear brakes last month. The only difficultly was removing the wheels as they stuck to the hubs and required using a BFH to loosen. If the wheels have been removed recently they shouldn't stick. I applied anti seize to eliminate future sticking.
There are a couple of videos you can view BimmerTech I think had one
I bought parts from Rockauto.com far less $ than others. You only need 1 sensor wire. Its easy to replace it connects in a small junction box hidden under plastic fender liner at corner of the trunk.(Not shown on videos.) You only need to remove 1 or 2 screws to bend it for access.

My car has 53,000 miles and I kept the rotors as they were in good shape.
I needed to buy 1 torx bit and a jack pad (round puck) off Amazon.
My total cost for parts and tools I was less than $75.
If you rotate your tires every 5000 miles they shouldn't be stuck nearly as bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Just did a complete replacement of pads and rotors in the front and rear. My rotors still had a little life left in them, but I was already down there, so why not. The job took roughly five hours for me to complete and replace everything. Added about an extra hour because the caliper carriers on the rear were a b***h to remove. If you're just doing pads, do it yourself for sure. If you decide to do rotors, I would still try it yourself. I don't have a ton of experience, but I was able to knock all of it out. And like mentioned, if you are careful with the sensors when you take them out, you can reuse them.

I got all of my parts for about $450.

If you need help with any of it, let me know. I have the service manual and scan send you the pages in regards to those.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

You should be able to do one set (front or rear) for $400-450CAD (includes pads, rotors and sensor).

If you have tripped the sensor (where it's counting down like yours is), you need to swap it. A lot of pads come with a new one in the box, so it's not a big deal.

I put a new set of Brembo rotors/pads on all 4 corners of my 335, and it cost $800 in parts (for everything). It's a pretty easy DIY, just takes a bit of time. There is a couple of great DIY YouTube videos on doing it (takes buddy 15 minutes a corner, took me closer to 30-40 though -- the first time).
Appreciate 0