THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Restoring seat position from memory uncomplete

04-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Restoring seat position from memory uncomplete

As many of you know by now, the latest software turns off the gong which up-to-2015 M235i had when storing seat position to memory; as far as I understand, the 2017 models don't have it either. I was one of the first owners to notice it in my March 2015-built vehicle after the dealership upgraded my software.

However, there is more to it: I'm noticing that even though the set position is stored in memory, recalling it will only move the seat close to the position it had when saving, not exactly the same one...

Anyone noticed it, too?

Piotr
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD

Last edited by moldcad; 07-28-2017 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

you need to keep pressing the button until it stops
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #3
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Yeah I'm aware of that; still doesn't fully return to the memorized position

Piotr
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

I think it's always the two of us commisserating here. Maybe we're more discerning, maybe just unlucky. Occasionally I have to release the button and press again to get the memory to finish up the full range of travel back to my stored position.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
I haven't noticed the same problem. My seat always seems to go back where the memory was set to. I usually use it after I take the car to the dealer and want to put my seat back. Works great each time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Don't let other people drive your car!

Just kidding. I unfortunately have to valet it a couple of times a week. To prevent them from moving the steering wheel on me as it does not have a memory, I usually move the seat all the way back when I get out. Pressing "1" brings it right back where it belongs. I've never measured to see if it's exactly in the same position, but it's closer than my tolerance if it's not.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

I'm bumping this thread up, because during the last year or so after new software installation killed the seat memorizing gong, recalling seat position off memory 1 or 2 has become less and less precise - up to the point where it's now: almost unable to properly position the seat where it has been memorized. So I'm definitely going to have my service see to it - however, before I do, I'd like to know whether in newer cars (like the M240i), or with newer software, the gong when pressing "memory store" button has returned or not? Please let me know, anyone with a 2017 BMW 2 series (or an older vehicle with software updated). TIA

Piotr
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post

However, there is more to it: I'm noticing that even though the set position is stored in memory, recalling it will only move the seat close to the position it had when saving, not exactly the same one...

Anyone noticed it, too?

Piotr
I hear the "gong" when I store a new seat and/or mirror adjustment and I have a Sept 2015 built 2016MY M235xi..
As for seat movement during a recall, the seat and mirrors will fully return to whatever is stored in memory for that seat setting with only a brief touch as long as the drivers door is open and you haven't pressed the start/stop button yet. With the drivers door closed or the start/stop button pressed, you will need to hold your finger on the appropriate button until the seat has fully returned to the setting in memory.
      07-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
I haven't noticed the same problem. My seat always seems to go back where the memory was set to. I usually use it after I take the car to the dealer and want to put my seat back. Works great each time.
Ditto here, never an issue in over a year on my 228ix.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:19 AM   #10
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

OK guys - a little update on my problem with recalling memorized set position.

My dealer called me yesterday to come and have a new software installed; among other things it's supposed to take care for the memorizing confirmation gong which I lost at the previous software update. I did, and to my joy the gong is back indeed! Also, when collecting me car from them, we tested the memorized seat position restore and with the door open, all seemed fine - the seats were obediently returning to the positions stored in memory 1 or 2 without any problems, and multiple times (it wasn't necessary to keep the button pressed in order to fully restore any memorized setting - just a single brief press was all that's necessary). So far so good - but on my way back home, I tested further by trying the same exercise, only in motion and thus with a constant button depression; unfortunately it's even worse now than before software update - in that the seat only does a single movement, e.g. backwards or forwards, and stops way before fully restoring the position stored! It can be even dangerous as - in the position it stops - I may find myself in a very unnatural and non-optimal distance from the steering wheel

So, still no fully functional seat memory system for me. And with it working properly with the car stationary, I don't think the reason is a simple sensor or actuator error; also I cannot realistically blame the software again...

The only explanation that crossed my mind is that - when in one of those awkward position half-way from the 'target' (stored) one - the system may decide it's dangerous, and refuse any further movement... What do you think?

Piotr
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:23 AM   #11
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
OK guys - a little update on my problem with recalling memorized set position.

My dealer called me yesterday to come and have a new software installed; among other things it's supposed to take care for the memorizing confirmation gong which I lost at the previous software update. I did, and to my joy the gong is back indeed! Also, when collecting me car from them, we tested the memorized seat position restore and with the door open, all seemed fine - the seats were obediently returning to the positions stored in memory 1 or 2 without any problems, and multiple times (it wasn't necessary to keep the button pressed in order to fully restore any memorized setting - just a single brief press was all that's necessary). So far so good - but on my way back home, I tested further by trying the same exercise, only in motion and thus with a constant button depression; unfortunately it's even worse now than before software update - in that the seat only does a single movement, e.g. backwards or forwards, and stops way before fully restoring the position stored! It can be even dangerous as - in the position it stops - I may find myself in a very unnatural and non-optimal distance from the steering wheel

So, still no fully functional seat memory system for me. And with it working properly with the car stationary, I don't think the reason is a simple sensor or actuator error; also I cannot realistically blame the software again...

The only explanation that crossed my mind is that - when in one of those awkward position half-way from the 'target' (stored) one - the system may decide it's dangerous, and refuse any further movement... What do you think?

Piotr
I had some problems with recall of the correct seat and mirror memory positions when I initially programmed the keys. One thing I was doing was keeping both keys in the car during programming and making sure I had selected the correct profile. I ended up with some strange memory recall issues for one of the keys, with it always setting the mirror position for the other key. I then re did all the seat and mirror memory set up with only one key in the car and the other way away from the car. Since then, everything works as expected. My experience may only be coincidental, but there may be an issue of memory assignment to keys when they are both close together within the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #12
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Thanks, but this is not the case here; I only have one key on me at a time.

Piotr
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 04:57 AM   #13
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Haha - I've just RTFMed, and found this fragment:

"Do not retrieve the memory while driving
Do not retrieve the memory setting while
driving, as an unexpected movement of the
seat could result in an accident
"

OK - it can be dangerous - but if it's not supported, why do my seat start any movement at all when I press one of the memory storage buttons 1/2? I mean, when driving it should be inactive - or it better behave and restore the expected position fully, as interrupting after a single movement is what I call dangerous

Oh, and BTW - I'm 100% positive that before the previous software update (which also killed the memory gong), I could use this functionality in the "unsupported" way, i.e. when driving, w/o any problems at all. Something must have gone wrong, or indeed the computer "thinks" it's dangerous and stops the movement half-way, which is plain silly!

Piotr
Appreciate 0