E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What are the best rotors and pads these days?

04-04-2017, 08:18 PM   #1
natedog7700
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

What are the best rotors and pads these days?

My 335 will need brakes soon and i would like to upgrade since i like to make lot of harder stops. What are some better options for rotors and pads?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:21 AM   #2
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog7700 View Post
My 335 will need brakes soon and i would like to upgrade since i like to make lot of harder stops. What are some better options for rotors and pads?
OEM. I have about 5k miles on a set of Pagid rotors and Akebono Euro Ceramic pads that I just pulled from the car because anytime I brake hard with that setup I get a horrendous steering wheel shake for at least 3 days afterwards. Since I swapped back to OEM I have no issues. I drive harder than most would in the states as well. Cobb tune and Autobahn.. Yesterday with OEM brakes, I was running about 170mph and had to bring it down to about 70 in a very short distance, not a single bit of shaking.

Keep away from the OEM budget line though.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
natedog7700
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i RB's 625whp

I heard good things about hawk pads or Ferodo DS2500's but those are pretty pricey. Not sure about rotors though. I have OEM and they treated me well but noticed steering wheel shake yesterday when braking hard like you were getting with your Pagid rotors.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

I've had good success with Zimmerman and Stoptec pads as well as Brembo discs and pads.
      04-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

ATE or Zimmerman with (in order) Performance Friction, StopTech or Hawk pads
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
Rezinator
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

I'm thinking of getting PFC Z-rated pads or Ferrodo DS2500.
Keeping my stock rotors as my winter wheels are 17".
I do some HPDE events and mountain runs, my OEM pads seem not as good now that my car is close to 400hp at the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #7
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i; BMW 435i; Ducati

Keep it OEM. If anything, just upgrade your brake lines to steel braided.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arexniba View Post
Keep it OEM. If anything, just upgrade your brake lines to steel braided.
OP does high speed hwy stunts and OEM pads will quickly over heat. What would SS line do for that?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #9
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
OP does high speed hwy stunts and OEM pads will quickly over heat. What would SS line do for that?
lol did the OP say that he was doing high speed highway stunts?

I believe that was user "David in Germany" that stated he drives upwards of 170mph. lol

Nonetheless, what I've researched on the SS brake lines:

Rubber overmolding does little to reduce expansion under pressure, as rubber is also a relatively flexible material. A woven braid of Stainless Steel, however, can greatly increase the rigidity of the hose under pressure while still allowing adequate flexibility for wheel end movement. In many cases, this reduced expansion can be felt by the driver as a firmer or more responsive brake pedal.

In addition, the reduced compliance will result in a faster transient response of the brake system. In other words, the time from the driver hitting the brake pedal until deceleration is generated will be decreased by a small amount. The benefit will vary based on each individual application, but in general overall deceleration can be attained more quickly, resulting in slightly shorter stopping distances.

Unless you have bigger wheels, then upgrade to a big brake kit.

Now, I realized the OP hasn't mentioned much about his car. Only his profile states that he has over 500+ whp.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I believe that was user "David in Germany" that stated he drives upwards of 170mph. lol.
I'll try to find the pictures of the charred remains of my old brakes from when I was chasing a e60 m5 and had to really get on them...

Cobb aggressive FMIC tune almost kept up with him. It took about 4km for him to pull about 400meters from me. But, I had to get on the brakes to take my exit. We were a bit over 170mph.

I try not to do things like that too often but the car is so easy to drive fast.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #11
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
I'll try to find the pictures of the charred remains of my old brakes from when I was chasing a e60 m5 and had to really get on them...

Cobb aggressive FMIC tune almost kept up with him. It took about 4km for him to pull about 400meters from me. But, I had to get on the brakes to take my exit. We were a bit over 170mph.

I try not to do things like that too often but the car is so easy to drive fast.
lol I bet! I (try) not to condone illegal activities, but hey, you're not in America! I'd love to take a car to top speed on the autobahn. That'd be intense!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 02:32 PM   #12
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:

I believe that was user "David in Germany" that stated he drives upwards of 170mph. lol

Nonetheless, what I've researched on the SS brake lines:

Rubber overmolding does little to reduce expansion under pressure, as rubber is also a relatively flexible material. A woven braid of Stainless Steel, however, can greatly increase the rigidity of the hose under pressure while still allowing adequate flexibility for wheel end movement. In many cases, this reduced expansion can be felt by the driver as a firmer or more responsive brake pedal.

In addition, the reduced compliance will result in a faster transient response of the brake system. In other words, the time from the driver hitting the brake pedal until deceleration is generated will be decreased by a small amount. The benefit will vary based on each individual application, but in general overall deceleration can be attained more quickly, resulting in slightly shorter stopping distances.

Unless you have bigger wheels, then upgrade to a big brake kit.

Now, I realized the OP hasn't mentioned much about his car. Only his profile states that he has over 500+ whp.
Stock lines are mesh reinforced. They don't need to be made from metal to prevent bulging. There is little to no gain by moving to SS brake lines, supposedly... Stock lines simple don't bulge like the myth people perpetuate. OEM lines are DOT approved and have to meet a minimum criteria in that regard. Not too many aftermarket brake lines out there are DOT approved.

SS lines will also absorb more heat and transfer it into the fluid than rubber will.

My personal opinion is that they are cheap bling bling up-sells that do little for performance. SS lines are something you put on when you overhaul the brakes and replace old worn out lines that have been bent, kinked, and trashed over the years.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...etter-than-OEM

Last edited by bbnks2; 04-06-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 3
feuer4275.50
Jklad421.00
      04-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #13
AtlasM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335xi 6MT

Garage List
OP stated "i like to make lot of harder stops," although that is rather vague.

OEM pads are alright but there are definitely other performance street pads that can be an upgrade over OEM. You can get higher coefficient of friction and/or heat capacity.

SS lines improve pedal feel (depending on how much your stock lines expand) but not heat capacity.

High temp fluid will also add head capacity.

The brands feuer mentioned are good.

From my reading and some personal experience...
(someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Hawk HP+ are more aggressive pads, that can stand up to some light track use. I had a set on a Miata and they were awesome at stopping but dusty & noisy.

Hawk has a new Street/Race pad that may be more civilized than the HP+. Not much info out there yet but this person says they're still dusty but quieter than HP+.

Hawk HPS 5.0 are more like performance street pads, not necessarily for track use but will give an improvement over stock. The older Hawk HPS are kinda ehhh at this point.

PFC Z-Rated and StopTech Sport (formerly called Street Performance) are the others that feuer mentioned, but I'm not sure where they stack up in relation to Hawk's lineup.

I think the PFC Z-Rated is maybe a bit less aggressive than Hawk HP+ but I've seen people talking about they take a bit of heat in them to reach full bite.

StopTech Sport may be in the same ballpark as HPS 5.0 but more dusty? Again I'm not personally familiar with them, just going from anecdotal stories online.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      04-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #14
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep

I think everyone is right here. I don't see any wrong or right answers as OP stated he's looking to upgrade.

I'll retract my prior advice of getting SS lines.

When I re-read his initial post, he did state, "What are some better options for rotors and pads?"

My advice, I think OP should be a little clearer as to why he would like to upgrade his rotors and pads? What does he really mean by " i like to make lot of harder stops." Is that in racing, commuting, or random hard pulls and braking hard?

As others have stated, using other aftermarket pads or rotors are intended for different purposes (i.e. racing or street use).

Good luck to OP!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #15
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did not say! that OP says that he is doing high speed highway stunts. I told you! that OP does high speed highways stunts. These are very different statements. Since I know what OP is about I corrected you on your comment. I see you retracted on the SS lines so I will not debunk you again. Anyhow, here:
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #16
Arexander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did not say! that OP says that he is doing high speed highway stunts. I told you! that OP does high speed highways stunts. These are very different statements. Since I know what OP is about I corrected you on your comment. I see you retracted on the SS lines so I will not debunk you again. Anyhow, here:
lol that's pretty fukn nuts!

Little dangerous there traveling high speeds on the freeway huh? Ditch the option of upgrading you brakes. Get a parachute!
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      04-07-2017, 12:09 AM   #17
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This is what REALLY hard braking does to rotors. See my post above talking about chasing an M5.
I already had new rotors waiting to go on the car but these were OEM rotors at the end of their life span and I had no issues with trying to kill them. The darker spots on them are where the metal has been over heated and is now harder. Usually this is why people say that their rotors are warped. Unless you are running some old single plate rotor it is very rare to ever actually warp a rotor now. The pulsating is from the "Hot Spots" which are actually harder spots than the surrounding metal.

Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      04-07-2017, 12:36 AM   #18
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Centric premium from Rockauto. You will not find a better deal and they're just as good, if not better than Zimmerman/brembo blanks. They're that restaurant you don't want to tell anyone about bc you're afraid it will get too crowded.

But since they're not a reastaurant I just want you guys to enjoy all the awesome ones for a great price, too!
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
      04-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #19
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
This is what REALLY hard braking does to rotors.
Yours show nice and even wear. Mine look horrid. 20+ track days and 3 sets of pads. I'm governed at 155mph but never the less my rotors are thrashed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #20
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yours show nice and even wear. Mine look horrid. 20+ track days and 3 sets of pads. I'm governed at 155mph but never the less my rotors are thrashed.
I've seen worse than those for sale here on the board!
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50