F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > PowerStop Pads Z23 UPDATE 6/19/17 *Changed Reccomendation-Trust me SKIP these*
Studio RSR

04-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
PowerStop Pads Z23 UPDATE 6/19/17 *Changed Reccomendation-Trust me SKIP these*

UPDATE: 6/19/17I have been meaning to update this thread for a few weeks now. Initially I recommended these pads and I will stick to that IF you only use them for street duty.
They are cheaply priced and for good reason. I got a chance to hit the drag strip on 5/31/17 and the experience with the pads was not good...actually it was horrible and scary at times.
Elaborating on the situation I did 5 drag passes in my car. At no point did the pads make me feel the car had bite up top when trying to slow down. Approximately 120 mph.
They faded insanely fast and I usually had to take the last or 2nd to the last exit on the US41 Motorplex return lane. Very disappointing indeed.
I guess for $90 on all 4 corners you get what you pay for and this is just a drag strip. I am not sure if they needed more heat or what but I made two back to back passes and it was just getting worse. Do they function...? YES...but do not under any CIRCUMSTANCE TAKE OR USE THESE PADS FOR ANY TRACK DUTY PERIOD. I would hate to see what they do on an actual race track like the Autobahn here in Joliet Illinois. .
I cant really recommend these pads honestly. Skip these and deal with the dust and be safer and wash the wheels. The squeaking is intermittent as well comes and goes. I cant ever get it to fully go away. I will be swapping these out ASAP.

UPDATE: 4/12/17I put about 100 miles on the pads. At my lunch break I took a drive to get some food and coffee, and there was a squeak. It just would not go away. I have to say it drove me nuts.

Once I got home I disassembled the pads and I also purchased NAPA sil-glyde and really applied that grease liberally everywhere. I mean I coated every metal to metal contact. Redid the back of the pads. I also found a round piece of metal in my left rear caliper lodged on the pad. This could have been the main issue causing the pad-s to vibrate on the piston and sing like crazy.

Re-bedded the pads once again and so far so good.

The verdict is still out I guess on these pads. The zero dust is so worth it, but if the squeak comes back I don't know what I will do. Hopefully it wont. Once I put a good 1500-2000 miles on them I will know really how they pan out.

EDIT: 4/10/17 Trying to update as I get more miles on the pads. They seem to be getting better, much better in terms of feel. 200 miles now on the pads and the bite is very good on the initial braking. NO dust to report yet .
However they will squeal very bad upon initial cold start or 1st daily drive when the car sits overnight. The squealing is getting less as the pads properly brake in but they will still make the noise until you drive a block or two, basically once they have some friction or heat to them they stop, its gone for the day. A small price to pay for virtually no dust IMO.

ONE thing to report and this is important for those who are sensitive to every single strange little noise your car makes. If you run the slotted and dimpled rotors these pads will accentuate that fan like sound upon low speeds and windows down. It does occur even on the M performance pads but not nearly as noticeable, so be warned it takes a bit to get use to it. Once you lay off the brakes the sound goes away. Its not that bad IMO.
If you are wondering what that sounds like, its like talking into a fan lol or putting your ear very close to it and it gives you that sort of buffeting sound.

INITIAL WRITE UP
I wanted to briefly post this up and I'll write a review and updates.

I ordered front and rear PowerStop z23 pads for my m performance bbk.

The issue for me personally on the stock m performance pads is the damn dust. They're good pads for street use and some light track duty but it ends there. But the dust is just unbearable. (See pics).
I've done some research and the f80 board folks seem to really have taken a liking to these z23 pads. So for under $85 I ordered front and rear.

I awaiting the rear set as these are a bit hard to find
At the moment so I purchased them off amazon, the rears were out of stock so still waiting.

I can't wait to see these in action. Supposedly as good as oem m performance bite but virtually zero dust.

Pics below are to compare as a starting point, 3 days about 150 miles driven and the wheels are just nasty looking with oem pads.

EDIT: 4/6/17 received the rears today. Ordering everything on Amazon I showed deliveries tomorrow and Saturday, but it all came 2 days earlier. So the seller on Amazon is awesome and super reliable for the record .

Review and impressions to come today.

UPDATES
EDIT: 4/6/17 INSTALLED
Impressions are absolutely positive! I installed these pics and I'll throw up some more photos for fun. And look at the old pads and dust that came with it. Also I show I Stowe's the pad sensors for guy track guys!

Initial feel, WOW! Cold bite right down the driveway I loved it. I properly followed powerstops bedding procedure. And yes again the cold bite is a step or two better than the m performance pads. I was shocked. Now these are the z23 pads are suppose to be more performance oriented. We shall see how they do on dust. There are some street pads called z17 that are suppose to be dustless but also the performance isn't as good as z23.

What I love on the cold bite the feel is immediate and you get that progressive 2nd level instantly with no slop or waiting that split second "oh there it is" feeling. These pads are a big WIN and thank goodness I found them. The m performance pads are good but there is now a much much better option for me.

I don't have any long term opinions yet. Only 35 miles on the pads. So far no squeal, I did use plenty of pad grease.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jadar; 06-18-2017 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CS Limerock Grey

I have the same problem the dust is horrible with BBK pads. Looking forward to your update been looking for good low dust pads
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      04-05-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
Zel335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335I Sport

I wish I had these kind of choices, sadly my stock 18"s don't fit the larger brakes. Still look forward to what the results are.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel335 View Post
I wish I had these kind of choices, sadly my stock 18"s don't fit the larger brakes. Still look forward to what the results are.
Why don't your stock 18" fit? I run stock 400M 18" wheels.
      04-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post

The issue for me personally on the stock m performance pads is the damn dust. They're good pads for street use and some light track duty but it ends there. But the dust is just unbearable. (See pics).
I've done some research and the f80 board folks seem to really have taken a liking to these z23 pads. So for under $85 I ordered front and rear.

At the moment so I purchased them off amazon, the rears were out of stock so still waiting.

I can't wait to see these in action. Supposedly as good as oem m performance bite but virtually zero dust.

Pics below are to compare as a starting point, 3 days about 150 miles driven and the wheels are just nasty looking with oem pads.
Oh I run those pads atm.

Overall if I could give you a nice mini review, the pads actually are dust free, haven't seen any on my wheels yet. Initial bite and overall braking is good as well.

On scale of 10 I'd give em 9.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      04-05-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Quote:

Oh I run those pads atm.

Overall if I could give you a nice mini review, the pads actually are dust free, haven't seen any on my wheels yet. Initial bite and overall braking is good as well.

On scale of 10 I'd give em 9.
Very cool thanks. They came recommended over anything being offered ATM so I went for it. The price can't be beat considering I got front and rear for under $90 and oem BMW front pads alone run like $120 bucks.

Can't wait to try them.
      04-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #7
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

Nice find , gonna search for a set my self.

Can you share the part number for the rear?

Thanks

Last edited by Gr-Racing; 04-06-2017 at 12:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #8
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing View Post
Nice find , gonna search for a set my self.

Can you share the part number for the rear?

Thanks
1653-z23
      04-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #9
Zel335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335I Sport

Quote:
Well that is what the dealer told me with my version of the factory wheels the car came with.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #10
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel335 View Post
Quote:
Well that is what the dealer told me with my version of the factory wheels the car came with.
18" is the minimum required to run 370mm brakes. What type of wheel do you have? Dealers aren't exactly the most knowledgeable species lol.
      04-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #11
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Some photos of the old m perf pads. They only have 400 miles on them but look at the filth .

I also found a perfect pad pin punch. A duralast T20 with a handle. Fits perfect in the pin holes and does not chip off caliper paint.

Cleaned up the calipers and I personally love the yellow calipers .

Note the zip tied pad sensor. Imo no need to install it unless you really don't maintain your own vehicle. Track rats this is a must .

Hope this helps you guys with pads down the line.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jadar; 04-15-2017 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #12
Gr-Racing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46, F30 335i, 1986 K75

How the new ones feel?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #13
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr-Racing View Post
How the new ones feel?
I edited above

EDIT: 6/6/17 INSTALLED
Impressions are absolutely positive! I installed these pics and I'll throw up some more photos for fun. And look at the old pads and dust that came with it. Also I show I Stowe's the pad sensors for guy track guys!

Initial feel, WOW! Cold bite right down the driveway I loved it. I properly followed powerstops bedding procedure. And yes again the cold bite is a step or two better than the m performance pads. I was shocked. Now these are the z23 pads are suppose to be more performance oriented. We shall see how they do on dust. There are some street pads called z17 that are suppose to be dustless but also the performance isn't as good as z23.

What I love on the cold bite the feel is immediate and you get that progressive 2nd level instantly with no slop or waiting that split second "oh there it is" feeling. These pads are a big WIN and thank goodness I found them. The m performance pads are good but there is now a much much better option for me.

I don't have any long term opinions yet. Only 35 miles on the pads. So far no squeal, I did use plenty of pad grease.

Let's see if the wheels stay clean like this. Makes me want to actually watch the car now lol. Hopefully no brake dust.
Attached Images

04-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Dejan_ I want your old pads!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #15
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Dejan_ I want your old pads!
Ok. Yours if you want em.
Fronts have about 450 miles and rears have about 7,000 miles.

What's a fair price?
      04-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #16
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
UPDATED with more miles on pads.
      04-15-2017, 11:24 AM   #17
Delete1
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

great write up, I shall be purchasing these when its time for a new set of pads. Now I have a dilemma where my rears are m performance bbk and my fronts are stock 335 brembos. Would that be a problem you think?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supremeceas View Post
great write up, I shall be purchasing these when its time for a new set of pads. Now I have a dilemma where my rears are m performance bbk and my fronts are stock 335 brembos. Would that be a problem you think?
Nope, not at all. The pads are all interchangeable between the brembo brakes. Doesn't matter if you have the stock gray ones and you painted them, you can take a set of M3 pads and install them and they will fit, all the same calipers. Only thing that is different for the bigger kits is the bracket for mounting it to the knuckle is moved further back to accommodate the bigger rotor sizes. The only pads that are not interchangeable are the one piston floating rear Bosch caliper found on sport and m sport 35i line cars.

I started out like that on my 335i. Painted the stock (gray) fronts to yellow and bought the bbk brembo yellow rears. I ran into a great deal on the fronts 370mm and couldn't pass it up so I now have a complete BBK kit.
      04-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #19
Delete1
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope, not at all. The pads are all interchangeable between the brembo brakes. Doesn't matter if you have the stock gray ones and you painted them, you can take a set of M3 pads and install them and they will fit, all the same calipers. Only thing that is different for the bigger kits is the bracket for mounting it to the knuckle is moved further back to accommodate the bigger rotor sizes. The only pads that are not interchangeable are the one piston floating rear Bosch caliper found on sport and m sport 35i line cars.

I started out like that on my 335i. Painted the stock (gray) fronts to yellow and bought the bbk brembo yellow rears. I ran into a great deal on the fronts 370mm and couldn't pass it up so I now have a complete BBK kit.
do you mind giving me the part # for my setup? every time I filter, it tells me "does not fit vehicle"
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #20
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
do you mind giving me the part # for my setup? every time I filter, it tells me "does not fit vehicle"
Front z23-1609
Rear z23-1656

If you put in its a 2014 or newer it will work. But those are the part numbers.
      04-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #21
Delete1
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Front z23-1609
Rear z23-1656

If you put in its a 2014 or newer it will work. But those are the part numbers.
Appreciate it but I have a 2013 I'm guessing it's not the same
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #22
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Appreciate it but I have a 2013 I'm guessing it's not the same
Well which brakes do you have? The M sport gray 340mm brembo front caliper and Bosch floating rear? Or BBK?