F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > mod questions
Studio RSR

04-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
askforcharliek
#askforcharliek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xDrive

mod questions

looking for some ideas. i have a 16 340ix msport with auto trans in a lease. i've intalled a bms intake and jb4. looking for more exhaust growl and not sure if a downpipe or a cat back exhaust would best (not really looking for more power just more bark). also considering getting a set of progressive springs. is it ok to swap out just the springs? will the shocks handle the lowered ride height over the long haul (another 27 months at least?). thanks in advance.
      04-06-2017, 12:13 AM   #2
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

One thing to consider is cost. The downpipe is going to run you ~$450 and the catback, around $2k. In addition to sound, I believe the downpipe will also net more hp than the catback (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), especially since you have a tune.

After typing this post, I'm kinda regretting going AWE catback instead of just the downpipe with a res delete.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 07:41 AM   #3
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
If you want more exhaust sound, get a mid-pipe... I'm thinking of eventually getting one for my car with the stock exhaust. There are some videos around of 340i with mid-pipe only. Cat-back isn't really worth the cost IMO.

Since you have a JB4, I've read a down pipe will help with performance a bit. Not sure if it'll be too much louder with a stock exhaust but you might hear more of the turbo.

Decide based on what you want.
      04-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
If you want more exhaust sound, get a mid-pipe... I'm thinking of eventually getting one for my car with the stock exhaust. There are some videos around of 340i with mid-pipe only. Cat-back isn't really worth the cost IMO.

Since you have a JB4, I've read a down pipe will help with performance a bit. Not sure if it'll be too much louder with a stock exhaust but you might hear more of the turbo.

Decide based on what you want.
Really depends, DP with stock exhaust sounds....like the muffler is hollow or something.

DP with catback sounds ridiculously good.

I compared with a buddy who has stock exhaust and DP, and myself DP+catback and the sound was very different, it basically sounded like a different car.

Also, normally aftermarket catbacks weigh less, and are easier to remove if you need to replace anything. They're normally clamped on, while OEM exhaust is all in one piece.

Most people won't bother with a full exhaust system, but if you sat in one vs OEM, you'd probably want one.
      04-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
SingleturboVert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Do the DP and see how it sounds. If you like it, then its a two-fer
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #6
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

$2k is expensive for a catback but it is worth it if you want sound over power! My advice would be to wait for a sale from one of the vendors so that you can save a couple hundred bucks. I personally went with the AWE Tuning exhaust and it's the perfect amount of loudness for a daily driver.

I haven't put downpipes on my car as of yet so I couldn't tell you how much louder the sound increase is but in videos they sound slightly louder than stock and burble a bit louder. Videos don't represent sound that well though haha. Catless downpipes also smell, I don't mind it but many people do.

Another option is to have a shop cut/fab your exhaust. Will be cheaper than catback and depending on what you do, also cheaper than downpipes.

As for suspension, from what I've been told, coilovers are the way to go.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by askforcharliek View Post
looking for some ideas. i have a 16 340ix msport with auto trans in a lease. i've intalled a bms intake and jb4. looking for more exhaust growl and not sure if a downpipe or a cat back exhaust would best (not really looking for more power just more bark). also considering getting a set of progressive springs. is it ok to swap out just the springs? will the shocks handle the lowered ride height over the long haul (another 27 months at least?). thanks in advance.
Exhaust will always sound better than downpipe, that being said DP are much cheaper, gives you power increase and sounds really good.

If you are not after power and only care about sound, exhaust is the way to go ... If you want both get downpipe

I would start with downpipe and then decide if it is worth it to add an exhaust

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
$2k is expensive for a catback but it is worth it if you want sound over power! My advice would be to wait for a sale from one of the vendors so that you can save a couple hundred bucks. I personally went with the AWE Tuning exhaust and it's the perfect amount of loudness for a daily driver.

I haven't put downpipes on my car as of yet so I couldn't tell you how much louder the sound increase is but in videos they sound slightly louder than stock and burble a bit louder. Videos don't represent sound that well though haha. Catless downpipes also smell, I don't mind it but many people do.

Another option is to have a shop cut/fab your exhaust. Will be cheaper than catback and depending on what you do, also cheaper than downpipes.

+1 on the AWE. Still kinda thinking downpipe + res delete might've been the cheaper + better option.

I'm also holding off on a downpipe for now. I'll probably go with a catted one so I don't get flagged by those emissions sniffers on the side of the highway.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #9
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Quote:

+1 on the AWE. Still kinda thinking downpipe + res delete might've been the cheaper + better option.

I'm also holding off on a downpipe for now. I'll probably go with a catted one so I don't get flagged by those emissions sniffers on the side of the highway.
I'd like the extra power and sound from catless downpipes but I don't want to risk ruining the exhaust note.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
I'd like the extra power and sound from catless downpipes but I don't want to risk ruining the exhaust note.
Catless will make the exhaust deeper and more exotic sounding.. Slightly louder but the biggest change is the deeper tone.

I think catless with stock exhaust sounds awesome...

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Leased a '16 340i xDrive back in November and I wanna change up the exhaust especially for the upcoming summer months. I can't justify the $1500+ for an axleback or $2000+ for a catback.

I'm saving up for a DP (and JB4 to clear the code) but I think a resonator delete on top of that will sound pretty good. Only thing I am worried about is NY inspections but I think the added performance and sound of the DP is worth it. Is there any videos of a stock exhaust with only a catless DP and a resonator delete?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #12
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Leased a '16 340i xDrive back in November and I wanna change up the exhaust especially for the upcoming summer months. I can't justify the $1500+ for an axleback or $2000+ for a catback.

I'm saving up for a DP (and JB4 to clear the code) but I think a resonator delete on top of that will sound pretty good. Only thing I am worried about is NY inspections but I think the added performance and sound of the DP is worth it. Is there any videos of a stock exhaust with only a catless DP and a resonator delete?
I think for myself 1500-2000 for a catback is worth it, I've heard stock with DP and it really doesn't compare. The sound is more aggressive and unique with the catback, and if you don't want to do downpipe for emission purpose, the catback will still increase sound by 50% and freeflow, downpipe increase sound by another 50%.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #13
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:

I'm not familiar with NY laws, but most states don't require emissions testing for the first several years. Then it's followed by a period of OBD-II testing only, and finally after more years is where they do actual sniffer emissions testing. Since you're leasing, just keep the stock downpipe and swap back in when it's time to turn in. I wouldn't worry unless you plan on keeping the car afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:57 PM   #14
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I think for myself 1500-2000 for a catback is worth it, I've heard stock with DP and it really doesn't compare. The sound is more aggressive and unique with the catback, and if you don't want to do downpipe for emission purpose, the catback will still increase sound by 50% and freeflow, downpipe increase sound by another 50%.
Don't get me wrong. I've saw videos on Youtube with the AWE exhaust and it sounds glorious. But to think I can get a intake,jb4,dp, and resonator delete for around $1300 seems like a lot more stuff over just a catback. Thanks for the feedback though I will definitely need to pull the trigger on one at some point haha.

Also I am a little confused on the stock exhaust layout. So it goes from the cat in the DP to a resonator then a second cat to the muffler correct? In which case an AWE mid pipe would pretty much remove the resonator and the second cat?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #15
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I've saw videos on Youtube with the AWE exhaust and it sounds glorious. But to think I can get a intake,jb4,dp, and resonator delete for around $1300 seems like a lot more stuff over just a catback. Thanks for the feedback though I will definitely need to pull the trigger on one at some point haha.

Also I am a little confused on the stock exhaust layout. So it goes from the cat in the DP to a resonator then a second cat to the muffler correct? In which case an AWE mid pipe would pretty much remove the resonator and the second cat?
This is correct. My AWE midpipe removed the secondary cats + resonators.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #16
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' AW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
This is correct. My AWE midpipe removed the secondary cats + resonators.
Not sure the 340i has two cats, I believe it's cat-resonator-resonator.
      04-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybm View Post
Right. Cat only in the DP, followed by 2 resonators on the mid.
      04-26-2017, 09:14 AM   #18
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybm View Post
Yea the cat in the downpipe is huge I think resonators in the midpipe
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #19
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Right. Cat only in the DP, followed by 2 resonators on the mid.
+1

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #20
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

The dp does not change your stock exhaust note. It just sounds louder (a little raspy sometimes). I have dp and midpipe with stock exhaust. I'm looking at the Akrapovic Evolution exhaust. Has anyone heard of this exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #21
PeterA90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Dp sound weird on the stock cat back. Midpipe with dp sounds like crap.... too tingy with the stock axle back. Spend the money and get a quality setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #22
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So would you guys recommend a catless DP with everything else stock or a mid pipe with everything else stock? I know the DP is going to be better performance wise but how about sound?
Appreciate 0