ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Nitto Invo vs Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

I will have to switch out of my winter tires soon and considering one of the following tires:

- GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

- Nitto Invo

Which handles better? What about ride quality?
Which has more value for money?
Which is more available this time of the year?

Thank you

rocky
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics are expensive while the Nitto's are probably pretty good value. I just installed 18" Nitto Neo Gens today, so I won't be able to give you a review for a little while yet.

If your car is a daily driver and you don't track it, I would recommend the Nitto's. Those goodyears really are expensive tires to be wearing out just driving to and from work and the grocery store.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

General Exclaim UHP's seem to get pretty good reviews. The only downside I ever found was that some complained of sidewall flex. I've talked to a couple people with 335's that have the UHP's and a couple people on a few boards and it seems if you're at a 30 or 35 sidewall there's no issue and the people have loved the tires. For $464 for all for in the OE 18" size.....that's cheaper than even Kuhmo's. Just a thought. I have no experience with either tire but started a thread about the Asymmetrics about a month or two ago here. Expensive but seemingly a very good tire (and still cheaper than Pilot Sports).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep

At this point, i am leaning towards the invo, because it seems to have more value for money and since this is my daily driver.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/firstl...ire/index.html

hey takedown, how much did your Nitto Neo Gens cost out the door?

bosstones: those seem to be very cheap tires... it could be a steal if they perform well... haven't heard about General Exclaim before... I'll look them up.

Last edited by soeharyo; 04-27-2008 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soeharyo View Post
At this point, i am leaning towards the invo, because it seems to have more value for money and since this is my daily driver.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/firstl...ire/index.html

hey takedown, how much did your Nitto Neo Gens cost out the door?

bosstones: those seem to be very cheap tires... it could be a steal if they perform well... haven't heard about General Exclaim before... I'll look them up.
I hadn't heard of general until last year when I was looking for new summer tires for the ZHP I had. New Pilot Sports would've cost more than my mortgage so that was hard to see myself dropping the money for (even though I love the PS1's). Someone at work mentioned General to me. I hadn't heard of them either but I looked'em up and found the UHP's. Reading most of the reviews, it seemed like a very good tire but some were complaining of sidewalls squirming. I didn't know anyone personally that ever used them until recently. For the price point of 18"+ tires, these are a steal.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
soeharyo
lettuce
United_States
Rep

an update: in the end, I went for the General Tires Exclaim UHP. So far so good... What should I do to break these tires in? I'll take it to the interstate for a run someday. One thing that I noticed instantly when switching out of my winter tires is that ride comfort goes up considerably. Cracks and small potholes are less noticeable.

So far so good....

The total? $768 OTD

It was from discount tire. Where can you get it for $464?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 01:06 AM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soeharyo View Post
an update: in the end, I went for the General Tires Exclaim UHP. So far so good... What should I do to break these tires in? I'll take it to the interstate for a run someday. One thing that I noticed instantly when switching out of my winter tires is that ride comfort goes up considerably. Cracks and small potholes are less noticeable.

So far so good....

The total? $768 OTD

It was from discount tire. Where can you get it for $464?
I priced them out at Tire Rack. 225/40R18's are $85 each and265/35R18's are $147 each. Two of each size comes out to $464. Shipping is about $40 total so I'd be looking at basically $500 + mounting/balancing.

As for breaking them in, I'd say to take it fairly easy for the first 300-500 miles until the mold release lubricant is off.
Appreciate 0