F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > EDC Code Delete - Steering feel
ARMA SPEED

04-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
jaymax
F30 328i Msports N20+ERDP+CP+TIC+FMIC+MPE+ JB4
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BM3 Stage 2

EDC Code Delete - Steering feel

Hi All,

I'm planning to install a set of KW v2's on my 328i msports that comes with adaptive suspension. According to the installer, they have managed to code delete the EDC error. Can I ask what is the steering feel after this has been done, I'm hoping that it gets heavier or at least similar to the sports mode. I'm also running H&R ARB so i'm really looking forward to a heavier steering feel especially when turning in high speed bends on highways.

Also any other things that I should look out for especially when coding it out. I know its a complex coding exercise and takes 3-4 hours but i'm hoping that I don't get any errors. I don't want to be faced with DSC or drive train errors, etc. I also tried searching but cant find much information so any reference or experience anyone can share would be highly appreciated. Or if you think this is a bad idea i'm also open to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

I coded out my EDC error. I did it myself, not too hard if you have gotten familiar with coding. Doesn't take 3-4 hours. It had no impact on the steering feel. Well an aftermarket suspension can make the whole car handle tighter, but I wouldn't traditionally call that steering feel. The only think I can think of that is relevant to steering feel: if you don't disable EDC somehow you get a check control light and the car is locked in comfort mode. So if you replace your adaptive suspension with something passive and don't either code it out or get an EDC delete kit to work, you'll be stuck in comfort with the softer steering and throttle response.

I have a thread on this board titled "EDC: to keep or not to keep, that is the question". Or something like that. I go over the coding procedure I used in that thread. My shop thought they might be able to code it, but I wanted to know exactly what was done so was more comfortable learning the procedure and doing it myself. There are plenty of materials on the coding sub-forum to get comfortable if you are willing in invest the time.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
XKxRome0ox1587.50
      04-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

You will notice a change to steering feel due to a change in front wheel caster angle, this will depend on where you set your ride height since caster is not individually adjustable on the front of a 3 series. As you go lower, you'll notice the wheel feel a little heavier and it will want to center itself a little more aggressively than before. This has nothing to do with coding, EDC, or anything like that. In the same way that lowering your ride height will increase negative camber, it will also change caster (and toe) since the wheels don't move straight up and down but rather in an arc. This change is relatively minor but noticeable especially right off-center.

During higher speed corners when the suspension is loaded up, the combination of this and the KW V2s and ARBs will definitely make the car feel a lot firmer and more planted than your old setup. The KW V2s are a really great choice for street use in my opinion, soft enough to be comfortable but they still make the car handle very well.
Appreciate 1
Big Nodge381.00