BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Heavy Rain and mirror visibility

04-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
ThreethirtyDee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport

First time using the wipers today, it was raining heavily and the auto setting had sent the wipers into top speed. This is normal, but all the water that the driver's wiper was shifting streamed down the side window and meant I could hardly see in the door mirror. I think there's been a lot of focus on reducing wind noise by increasing the gap, but if this is the compromise it's very poor. I've never had this in over 30 years of driving - looks like a design issue. Anybody else experienced this?

It doesn't happen on the passenger side as the wiper arcs on that side but on the driver's side the wiper is vertical and pushes all the water into a non existing gutter/channel.

Edit. I was travelling at motorway speed forcing water back down the car

Last edited by ThreethirtyDee; 04-12-2017 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 02:12 AM   #2
Notechy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d xDrive SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreethirtyDee View Post
First time using the wipers today, it was raining heavily and the auto setting had sent the wipers into top speed. This is normal, but all the water that the driver's wiper was shifting streamed down the side window and meant I could hardly see in the door mirror. I think there's been a lot of focus on reducing wind noise by increasing the gap, but if this is the compromise it's very poor. I've never had this in over 30 years of driving - looks like a design issue. Anybody else experienced this?

It doesn't happen on the passenger side as the wiper arcs on that side but on the driver's side the wiper is vertical and pushes all the water into a non existing gutter/channel.

Rain? Sunshine here.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 03:51 AM   #3
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:

Put some Rain-X, or similar water repellent, and the water drops will bead and fly off.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Quote:

Put some Rain-X, or similar water repellent, and the water drops will bead and fly off.
Oh yeah. I remember when I put opti-coat 2.0 on my f31 inc the glass. Was great to keep rain flowing while maximising visibility. Apparently the Bmw protect x is applied to the windshield too.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Yeah its a good idea to treat the windows and mirrors. I always do mine and sometimes I don't even need to use wipers at all. The side mirrors will also benefit with a treatment.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

+1
rain-x or similiar . at higher speeds you don't even have to have the wipers on at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 03:33 AM   #7
ThreethirtyDee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport

Thanks for the replies, as a biker I know how to mitigate the effects of the rain. If that's what BMW were to advise me I think I'd be having a few words, the existence of this problem is an issue. I hope it's a one off experience. Please let me know if or when it happens to you
      04-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #8
alfiemoon13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 530d tourer

Do these products effect the sensors located on the windscreen?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

no.
have used it for years on my F10 . just means the water beads on contact with the glass instead of 'splattering' for want of a better word and just runs off with the wind flow.
Appreciate 0