E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front sway bar orientation

04-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #1
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Front sway bar orientation

I'm installing a new front H&R sway bar but I'm not sure where I should have the end link mounting holes in relation to the rest of the bar. Should the mounting holes be on the same level plane if you will, as the rest of the bar? Or lower or higher? I'm doing this with the car on ramps so suspension is loaded but my end links are adjustable and I'm not sure how to angle or rotate the bar and therefore how long/short to make my end links. Can anybody help me here? My car is lowered a bit on coilovers so I believe I want my end links slightly longer than stock to compensate, just not sure how long and how to orient the bar....

Last edited by nikitino25; 04-17-2017 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 11:00 PM   #2
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

I think you want the end links to be prependicuar, meaning not angled up or down when you install it with the suspension loaded up.

I have H&R sport springs with eibach sway bar which is not adjustable and when I installed it, it was angles up a little bit because the H&R sport lowers more than eibach pro.

I don't have any driving issue with it though.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
I'm installing a new front H&R sway bar but I'm not sure where I should have the end link mounting holes in relation to the rest of the bar. Should the mounting holes be on the same level plane if you will, as the rest of the bar? Or lower or higher? I'm doing this with the car on ramps so suspension is loaded but my end links are adjustable and I'm not sure how to angle or rotate the bar and therefore how long/short to make my end links. Can anybody help me here? My car is lowered a bit on coilovers so I believe I want my end links slightly longer than stock to compensate, just not sure how long and how to orient the bar....
The sway bar should only point down, like in the below picture, when the car is up on a lift. Under load, the endlinks should be adjusted so the mounting tab is oriented parallel to the ground. Due to the design of our front sway bar, the mounting tab will indeed sit on a "higher plane" than where the sway bar mounts to the chassis.

Here is a pic of a sway bar pointing down (bad): http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...i/IMG_2760.jpg
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      04-20-2017, 02:42 AM   #4
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Yeah I think I got it right, basically I used my old stock end links to line up the ideal sway bar mounting points with the car under load on ramps and then rotated the bar (and consequently the mounts) slightly downward (I think downward, but now I've got myself all confused) to match how much my car was lowered in the front (with coilovers) and then adjusted the links accordingly (made them correspondingly longer) and then tightened. The Bentley manual said to "bounce the suspension" up and down a couple times and then tighten the lower links but pretty sure I got it right straight away with the car suspension loaded....during the install I did notice the top rubber ball joint boot on one of the links was torn already with low mileage so I will have to go back soon and replace it probably. I should have took some pics of the orientation and will next time when I replace the end link. I def did not end up with the lower end link mounting points on the same plane as the subframe mounts (not even close). What I can say for sure though is that I feel a definite difference after just doing the front H&R bar, much less front roll on turn in at any speed. Still need to install the rear though which unfortunately will not be easy....not even sure the rear is necessary but it does seem like it could balance things out a bit, we'll see.....The stiffer front bar is performing as advertised though.....for reference I went from a BMW performance suspension front sway to the H&R bar..it's much heavier but def makes a difference

Last edited by nikitino25; 04-20-2017 at 02:57 AM..
Appreciate 0