04-18-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330xi

Porsche Atlanta - The 1M is GOOD

Hey All,

This past weekend I took a trip to the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. I wrote a little bit about it and posted some pics here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...4#post21580594

I will start by saying I have zero previous track experience, and have yet to push the 1M to its true limits.

I got a chance to drive the 991.2 C2S and the Cayman GT4. These are truly phenomenal vehicles and extremely competent track weapons. I enjoyed the entire experience for what it was, and would happily own one. But what surprised me the most was how it stacked up to the 1M, at least to me.

I think as an enthusiast, I get caught up in all the articles and praise vehicles receive. This was never more apparent to me than with the Fiesta ST. Every article I read raved about how good this car was for the money. Sometimes its hard to put this in perspective and you get caught up in the hype. After the test drive, I was brought back to reality.

I sometimes feel the same way about Porsche. It is on a pedestal in my mind and I don't have any perspective on it. After getting a little more seat time in Porsches, I can confirm they are awesome machines, but maybe not on the pedestal I once had. I certainly still aspire to own one someday, but I didn't leave feeling I had to do that right away. Even more so, it gave me a new appreciation for how good the 1M really is and how much more there is left to explore in it.

Again, I'm comparing track driving to street driving and the fact that I spend 99% of my driving time on the street and have virtually no track experience. Take it for what its worth!

In the end, I left knowing two things:
1. I will own a Porsche someday
2. HOLY SH*T is the 1M an amazing car

BMW CCA Member -- NCC Chapter
Appreciate 2
8081M40.50
1M Tex240.00
      04-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
metblkbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 1M

Garage List
2011 bmw  [0.00]
track day

Thanks for sharing your experience. Makes me confident if I did buy a 1M,
I would be very happy.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by metblkbmw View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Makes me confident if I did buy a 1M,
I would be very happy.
Certainly not to take anything away from Porsche. They're great and I want one. It just became very clear the value you're getting with the 1M. Hope you choose to pick one up!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
JP-1M
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 1M

Garage List
Very well written. I don't detect any fanboy emotion. Additionally with you showing due respect for the Porsches your positive opinion of the 1M is even more believable.

As a relatively new 1M owner who has not yet had a lot of time to enjoy my beauty I enjoyed living vicariously through you for a moment. I also plan to fight my urge to track the car as there are many enjoyable roads here in Japan, so your track impressions are nice data.

Anywho, have a great day.
      04-19-2017, 12:37 AM   #5
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Nice write up . Gotta love the 1M !
Appreciate 1
griz31170.50
      04-19-2017, 05:51 AM   #6
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Yes the 1M is brilliant. There is a reason why the 1M takes 3rd in the 2011 Evo Car of the Year only behind the GT3RS and the MP4-12C .

I have driven the GT4 on the road and it is very enjoyable but the 1M feels more exciting because of the turbo torque and shorter gearing. The electric assisted steering on the GT4 feels good but still feels a bit artificial when compared beside the hydraulic assisted steering of the 1M.

The 1M has beautiful balance on the track as well. You should track the 1M at least once and then I am sure you will appreciate it even more.
Appreciate 3
griz31170.50
1M Tex240.00
      04-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Great write up!

You'll find that most modern 'sporty' street cars are much more capable than the skill level of the owners that own them. The biological mass is almost always the limiting factor.

If you really want to be blown away at how good an 'cheap sports car' car can be go drive a Scion FRS or a Miata at the limit of traction. Non stop fun
Appreciate 1
griz31170.50
      05-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
Feco
Private
Rep
Drives: 12' 1 Series M Coupé

Garage List
2012 1M  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 911 Ca ...  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 911 Turbo  [10.00]
1993 E36 M3  [10.00]
1999 E39 M5  [9.00]
2005 E46 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW F10 535i  [0.00]
Man, I'm fortuned to have a 911 ( 997 turbo ) and a 1M on the same garage, and I endorse your words... Porsche are incredible, fast and a dream car but, as I say to all my friends, the 1M has the best handling and driving pleasure than any Porsche I've ever driven..

That's why I would never sell it!

Porsche 911 Turbo (997.1) GT Silver - Fabspeed Maxflo, Cobb Custom Tune, Spec Clutch 2+, HR Sway Bars + Spring
Appreciate 3
griz31170.50
1M Tex240.00
      05-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I'm back in my Cayman S hunt. I just drove a used 981 with PDK and a new 982 manual.
I liked both of them but I can't get used to paddle-shifters and the all-around visibility was not as good as the 1M--parallel parking without getting a case of curb rash will be tough. Both felt far more planted and refined than the 1M. I don't know if I will get a PDK car or not. The Porsche SA said only about 5% of Caymans are manuals. He went to the factory and the informal statement from Porsche leadership on the matter was "if you want us to keep making manuals then you need to sell more of them."
While I preferred the engine noise of the 981, the engine feel on the 982 was more in line with the 1M which has spoiled me with its torque delivery for the past 6 years.
In the end, I will probably opt for a 981 from 2015 or 2016. They're the last NA sixes and since I'll be letting my 2002 S54 go, it seems only appropriate to replace it with an NA car.
Then of course there's the possibility of an M2 CS...
That might keep me in the BMW fold if I get an allocation.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
I'm back in my Cayman S hunt. I just drove a used 981 with PDK and a new 982 manual.
I liked both of them but I can't get used to paddle-shifters and the all-around visibility was not as good as the 1M--parallel parking without getting a case of curb rash will be tough. Both felt far more planted and refined than the 1M. I don't know if I will get a PDK car or not. The Porsche SA said only about 5% of Caymans are manuals. He went to the factory and the informal statement from Porsche leadership on the matter was "if you want us to keep making manuals then you need to sell more of them."
While I preferred the engine noise of the 981, the engine feel on the 982 was more in line with the 1M which has spoiled me with its torque delivery for the past 6 years.
In the end, I will probably opt for a 981 from 2015 or 2016. They're the last NA sixes and since I'll be letting my 2002 S54 go, it seems only appropriate to replace it with an NA car.
Then of course there's the possibility of an M2 CS...
That might keep me in the BMW fold if I get an allocation.
When you say 982 are you referring to the 718?

Really like the Cayman a lot. I liked the steering feel of the 987, but the 981 to me is a much much better looking car. The 718 with the blacked out light bar in the back is just obtrusive to me. Luckily I like darker colored cars so it blends better, but I am not a fan of that styling. Not having driven the 718, I would go with the 981 purely based on style and value.

I've actually only ever driven the Cayman in a manual. Actually, I have yet to experience PDK. They are definitely available, perhaps have to be more patient.

It be a tough choice for me between the 987.2 and the 981, but I think I would lean more towards 981 if I had to choose today. While I'm sure the 718 is fantastic, I just can't see it being good enough to take that kind of depreciation hit. Now Base/S/GTS (or R/GT4) is another discussion!

All hypothetical of course, as I am loving the 1M.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Yeah the new 718 Cayman S. I think the clutch is mechanical. I will have to check. I managed to stall it on my first attempt at driving. It's either that or it's because the car was brand new.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
Hey All,

This past weekend I took a trip to the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta. I wrote a little bit about it and posted some pics here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...4#post21580594

I will start by saying I have zero previous track experience, and have yet to push the 1M to its true limits.

I got a chance to drive the 991.2 C2S and the Cayman GT4. These are truly phenomenal vehicles and extremely competent track weapons. I enjoyed the entire experience for what it was, and would happily own one. But what surprised me the most was how it stacked up to the 1M, at least to me.

I think as an enthusiast, I get caught up in all the articles and praise vehicles receive. This was never more apparent to me than with the Fiesta ST. Every article I read raved about how good this car was for the money. Sometimes its hard to put this in perspective and you get caught up in the hype. After the test drive, I was brought back to reality.

I sometimes feel the same way about Porsche. It is on a pedestal in my mind and I don't have any perspective on it. After getting a little more seat time in Porsches, I can confirm they are awesome machines, but maybe not on the pedestal I once had. I certainly still aspire to own one someday, but I didn't leave feeling I had to do that right away. Even more so, it gave me a new appreciation for how good the 1M really is and how much more there is left to explore in it.

Again, I'm comparing track driving to street driving and the fact that I spend 99% of my driving time on the street and have virtually no track experience. Take it for what its worth!

In the end, I left knowing two things:
1. I will own a Porsche someday
2. HOLY SH*T is the 1M an amazing car

OH my.. ..

you live in Virginia (VIR!!!) and you are also near Road Atlanta..
you have a 1M...
you have never been on track with it..
And...I bet you aren't a BMW CCA member either..

This is absolutely TRAGIC.
you really should get out and full enjoy what you have!

Watch out.. because I plan on being at Road Atlanta in SEPTEMBER.. and to do so I will be driving from TEXAS.... because.. of the FIFTEEN race tracks that I have been on... it's the absolute best... and I haven't taken the 1M out on it yet..

so... be a sport and join the club and drive back to Road Atlanta and perhaps I will SEE YOU AT THE TRACK!

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-26-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I have both the 1M since 2011, and the 911 (2014 50 Anniv Edition), and love them both equally, lol, the 1M is more special because of the time I spent with it and modding, it has a little bit of me and yes it is very fun and unique altogether. The Porsche is also very fun to drive, keep it above 3k rpm and its even more exhilerating and more fun imo. The sound of that 3.8 liter boxer engine with over 430hp and 325tq in 3100 lbs car is a blast. Steering wise, not much diff in my opinion, I was too busy listening and controlling the rear engine, trying to enjoy the sound lol. The 911 7sp manual is 1 too many, but still very fun and throttle is response it still crazy unlike the 1M, yes there is still slight lag because the turbo.
I've driven them both, alternating weekly or sometimes monthly, but if I ever want to keep one, it would be the 1M, griz31 is right, 1M is special, and I believe most original owners would agree including me.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #14
Mr. Wilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, X5M

Its just a very special car; period. Always surprised and never disappointed when she comes out.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
OH my.. ..

you have a 1M...

Watch out.. because I plan on being at Road Atlanta in SEPTEMBER.. and to do so I will be driving from TEXAS.... because.. of the FIFTEEN race tracks that I have been on... it's the absolute best... and I haven't taken the 1M out on it yet..

so... be a sport and join the club and drive back to Road Atlanta and perhaps I will SEE YOU AT THE TRACK!
Haha I hear ya, trying to get more involved in the community and gain some knowledge about track driving around here.

Joining BMW CCA was one of the first things I did after getting the 1M

Last edited by griz31; 05-30-2017 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2017, 09:33 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
Quote:
OH my.. ..

you have a 1M...

Haha I hear ya, trying to get more involved in the community and gain some knowledge about track driving around here.

BMW CCA was one of the first things I did after getting the 1M In my signature too
You are in one of the best areas in the country probably wth respect to tracks, BMW communities , BMW CCA national, BMW USA and the Performance center, etc. both peachtree and the Tar Heel chapters as well as others put on great events in the area.

Don't wait too long to get involved, your company could move you/your next job could be in Salt Lake City... im just kidding .. but seriously I know a guy ...
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50
      05-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
nacaruh
FOUO
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82

Congrats! Where in NoVA are you at? Would love to see it one day!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #18
griz31
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are in one of the best areas in the country probably wth respect to tracks, BMW communities , BMW CCA national, BMW USA and the Performance center, etc. both peachtree and the Tar Heel chapters as well as others put on great events in the area.

Don't wait too long to get involved, your company could move you/your next job could be in Salt Lake City... im just kidding .. but seriously I know a guy ...
Appreciate it, met a few people in the area so far but haven't made it to a BMW CCA hosted event yet. Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecaf View Post
Congrats! Where in NoVA are you at? Would love to see it one day!
Springfield/Burke area and then in Tysons area a lot for work. Hope to meet up sometime.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #19
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

I love my 1M around town, but my GT4 is just a track weapon. It keeps challenging you to test the limits with beautiful feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #20
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
...your next job could be in Salt Lake City... im just kidding .. but seriously I know a guy ...
Hey! I resemble that remark!

SLC isn't the best for car culture and options to get on track, for sure. The future of Utah Motorsports Campus (formerly Miller Motorsports Park) is still uncertain, which isn't helping matters. In Dallas, I bought a Honda Grom to race in the CMRA Grom Challenge class and we moved to Utah before I could race. I was sad to find out there's no Grom class here at the Utah Sport Bike Association. Boo.

But we have some other things that make this a pretty spectacular place. My house is 35 minutes from Snowbird, which is still open after an awesome snow year. I went skiiing on Saturday (June 3) and followed up with a hike on Tuesday to the high point of Salt Lake County (11,489' / 3,502 m) above Snowbird. That, and we're a few hours from some of the darkest skies in the US for stargazing. So yeah, it's basically an outdoor sports paradise here.

Would I trade all that to be next door to Road Atlanta? Yeah, probably...

griz31, I hear you about the Fiesta ST. After reading so many rave reviews, I was really excited to test drive one and - no doubt they are fun and a great car for the money - I came away disappointed. It's hard when the 1M is your point of reference. One thing I can't understand is how automakers get the pedal position for heel-toe downshifting so wrong on cars that are supposed to be sporty. We have a VW GTI and it's a very good car, but it, too, is lacking in this area, which is key for driving fun/involvement. Every time I get back in the 1M after driving something else, I realize how amazing it is. I hope to own a Porsche someday, but it will have to be the right one.

Last edited by ///BYU; 06-08-2017 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
griz31170.50