BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Exterior mirror - folding AND Dipping function

04-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #1
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Exterior mirror - folding AND Dipping function

Playing around with BMW G30 UK 'build now' website and whilst choosing options, I notice that it is very clearly stated under the Exterior Mirror- folding functions that it includes automatic dipping while reversing in spite the dealer saying it is not included. I have now raised the issue with BMW UK customer services and the staff was surprised that my mirror was not dipping. However he said that he would call back in 24 hours.

Could others affected by this also phone BMW UK please?

Below is the screenshot from BMW UK page:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #2
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Playing around with BMW G30 UK 'build now' website and whilst choosing options, I notice that it is very clearly stated under the Exterior Mirror- folding functions that it includes automatic dipping while reversing in spite the dealer saying it is not included. I have now raised the issue with BMW UK customer services and the staff was surprised that my mirror was not dipping. However he said that he would call back in 24 hours.

Could others affected by this also phone BMW UK please?

Below is the screenshot from BMW UK page:
My dealer said he's had a few complain about this. Wonder if they'll compensate or do an aftermarket change. TBH if the mirrors can anti dazzle and also are electric to control it should be a case of a software change.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

If it is a software change that is warranted so be it. As far as they make the changes for me. I feel ripped off considering the function is clearly stated on their website.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If it is a software change that is warranted so be it. As far as they make the changes for me. I feel ripped off considering the function is clearly stated on their website.
I'm with you. Although with my options it would come one way or another.

Another way to look at this for me is the all round cameras. If they really are that useful and good then I should find myself relying more on them and be self park than worrying about dipping mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
NorthEastX5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 3.0d M-Sport / 435i F36

Quick question. You do have the mirror selector switch pushed in the direction of the passenger side mirror yes? If it's in the other position then traditionally that disables the dipping function. Assumed you know this but thought I'd mention it as it's come up a few times on forums where people cannot get mirrors to dip on selecting reverse.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEastX5 View Post
Quick question. You do have the mirror selector switch pushed in the direction of the passenger side mirror yes? If it's in the other position then traditionally that disables the dipping function. Assumed you know this but thought I'd mention it as it's come up a few times on forums where people cannot get mirrors to dip on selecting reverse.
Drivers side. If it is on passengers side it is disabled.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
NorthEastX5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 3.0d M-Sport / 435i F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEastX5 View Post
Drivers side. If it is on passengers side it is disabled.
Ah yes. That way
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

I knew about the switch. I had it in my former F10. They have just gotten back to me and all they could say ' we own up it is a mistake regarding the information on the website, but there is no way it could be done for your car'. For further action, you need to discuss with your dealer as it was the dealer that sold car to you. It was said that in a nice way. So a bit stuck

Last edited by babaikram; 04-20-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

well I hope they sort that out for you.
tricky one as regards trade descriptions act - is it as described? does the website count as a contract in that sense? will they get out of it stating the specs can change?

hopefully some goodwill on this .

makes us all aware to be very careful and speccing out our cars and possibly worth getting in writing rather than verbally that a car has said functionality.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
well I hope they sort that out for you.
tricky one as regards trade descriptions act - is it as described? does the website count as a contract in that sense? will they get out of it stating the specs can change?

hopefully some goodwill on this .

makes us all aware to be very careful and speccing out our cars and possibly worth getting in writing rather than verbally that a car has said functionality.
Has to be. Where else can one get information from. And to state they can change is not on when you buy something specifically based on the description on their official website.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #11
Jonobigblind
Rep
Drives: W205 C250

Quote:
Has to be. Where else can one get information from. And to state they can change is not on when you buy something specifically based on the description on their official website.
I think you've got more of a case if bought directly from the web but if purchased though a dealer then their word should trump info on the website as you're striking the contract with them and they're liable for the accuracy of the information leading to the sale.

It's poor either way and wouldn't take a lot for BMW's digital team to amend this description which would save a few complaints and requests for goodwill.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 05:22 PM   #12
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonobigblind View Post
Quote:
I think you've got more of a case if bought directly from the web but if purchased though a dealer then their word should trump info on the website as you're striking the contract with them and they're liable for the accuracy of the information leading to the sale.

It's poor either way and wouldn't take a lot for BMW's digital team to amend this description which would save a few complaints and requests for goodwill.
But dealers didn't know or clarify. The website is an official marketing channel and the dealerships are part and parcel of the company. Can't see how they'd shirk out of that. Still - shouldn't take too much sweetening to rescue relationships.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
Jonobigblind
Rep

Quote:
But dealers didn't know or clarify. The website is an official marketing channel and the dealerships are part and parcel of the company. Can't see how they'd shirk out of that. Still - shouldn't take too much sweetening to rescue relationships.
I'd just picked up that the OP's dealer had information to the contrary, hence the challenge and question on here. Totally agree that all sales channels should be operating as one but I think BMW would rely on the information provided at point of sale (by the dealer) as that's what's discussed and agreed at the point of providing a contract. Any marketing information (web / brochures etc) can be generic across markets and therefore don't always carry definitive info and companies try to weasel out of relying upon them for final specs. The last order sheet I signed had the actual specs for the model and options I ticked - that's the one I'd be relying upon for any comeback if the motor turned up with anything different.

Either way it's shabby that an executive motor doesn't already have this as standard - my 2014 C class does and I'll miss it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonobigblind View Post
I'd just picked up that the OP's dealer had information to the contrary, hence the challenge and question on here. Totally agree that all sales channels should be operating as one but I think BMW would rely on the information provided at point of sale (by the dealer) as that's what's discussed and agreed at the point of providing a contract. Any marketing information (web / brochures etc) can be generic across markets and therefore don't always carry definitive info and companies try to weasel out of relying upon them for final specs. The last order sheet I signed had the actual specs for the model and options I ticked - that's the one I'd be relying upon for any comeback if the motor turned up with anything different.

Either way it's shabby that an executive motor doesn't already have this as standard - my 2014 C class does and I'll miss it.
The attached picture to my original post was from building BMW 5 series G30 on their website. It is not a generic piece of information but specific to G30.

I thought of a legal action but did not think it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #15
Jonobigblind
Rep

Quote:
The attached picture to my original post was from building BMW 5 series G30 on their website. It is not a generic piece of information but specific to G30.

I thought of a legal action but did not think it was worth it.
My comment said generic across markets (I.e. UK, mainland Europe or US) rather than a generic BMW vehicle.

I quite agree, the costs of a legal case over a £300 option wouldn't seem value for money. You'd have a stronger case if you could buy directly from the website and then no additional contact until delivery at which point you find that a mirror doesn't dip. As it stands the dealer has said that the info on the website is wrong and this doesn't happen. At least you've found out now and been able to raise it for others who would have been looking to add this option (like me), so thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #16
babaikram
United Kingdom
Rep

Well said Jonobigblind

Having a reverse camera has made the lack of dipping bearable to a large extent for me. Overall, enjoying the car.
Appreciate 0