BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > First Wash - What products?

04-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2, 2011 BMW 335i

First Wash - What products?

So, to all you guys that have just done your first wash, what products are you using? Yeah yeah, I realize that there is a giant forum post about detailing, but I'm more curious to see what the 'regular' people are using

Where are my week 7's at?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Check out sonax. Solid products. Besides products the method w 2 buckets and a grit guard are key.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
Check out sonax. Solid products. Besides products the method w 2 buckets and a grit guard are key.
I been using a third bucket that just touches the wheels because those have the most dirt.

I also bought some Optimum No Rinse Wash that I use if I want to do a quick cleaning without running water. I also keep a spray bottle of ONR in the trunk with some microfiber towels in case I need to wipe off some bird shit or something.

I also bought this Chemical Guys package of products from Costco which seems really good for the price. https://www.costco.com/Chemical-Guys...100291210.html

There are better products if you were to buy each thing individually but it's still a good value.
Appreciate 3
D CHOI580.00
MMMBRAP975.50
      04-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #4
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I go to a wash bay. And use soap. Then water. Then spot free rinse. And then pat dry the car with "the Absorber".

Realistically this is what normally people do.

OCD people and detailers will need a two to three bucket system with grit guards in each. Use two wash mits after pressure washing the entire vehicle to remove large particles. Pat dry. Use a mix of baby shampoo and water with a clay bar thereafter. Rinse and pat try. If it's been a while this is when you polish. Otherwise just slap some chemical bros butter wax on there and you're good to go.
      04-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure if you guys are BMWCCA members or not, but this month's magazine had a pretty cool detailing article. They used some Griots garage BOSS polish that I'm going to pick up and try out when I polish. I'm going to hold off another week on washing, I just wiped her off with a microfiber towel to knock some of this socal dust off, heh.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

It is really not that difficult. Here is what I do...
1. Get the auto soap that is at CostCo (it will change of course, I think today I have Meguiars.
2. Get this
https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR201.../dp/B00D8DR0AO
3. Add some soap and the No Rinse and Shine (from #2 above) to a bucket and fill.
yes, a single bucket for God's sake
4. Get yourself two sponges
5. Water down the car, use the first sponge to wash everything except the lower parts of both bumpers and the bottom 1/4th of the car.
6. Rinse (do repeatedly if hot)
7. Remove 1st sponge, use second sponge, wash bottom part of car, finish by doing the wheels.
8. Rinse
9. Dry with one of these if you are picky
https://www.amazon.com/Absorber-Synt...s=drying+towel
otherwise, use a nice towel or two.
10. Use another towel to dry the insides of the door, trunk, and gas cap (that holds a lot of water!)
11. Drive the car around the block, braking to dry the brakes
12. Wipe down the car one last time.

Once a year, I do this (maybe twice) - always on Father's day however
1. Claybar entire car (drop the claybar and you need to throw it out, so don't drop the claybar - think of it like soap in a prison, hold on to it like your life depends on it)
2. Zaino AIO
http://www.zainostore.com/mm5/mercha...Category_Code=
3. Zaino Z5 Pro
4. Protect the wheels with this https://www.amazon.com/CorrosionX-61...keywords=rejex

You can always call Zaino and they will give you advice for your particular area and how you drive the car. I think the dude answers the phone 24x7

Rules of the road
1. If you drop a sponge, wash the crap out of it with the hose
2. Dump the water after, do not be tempted to wash the wife's 7 year old mini with the remaining water
3. Do not use cleaner on the wheels - do see #4 however (Rejex will allow you to clean the wheels very easily)
Appreciate 2
filet.M2c782.50
mokrunka140.00
      04-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
...drop the claybar and you need to throw it out, so don't drop the claybar - think of it like soap in a prison, hold on to it like your life depends on it)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is really not that difficult. Here is what I do...
1. Get the auto soap that is at CostCo (it will change of course, I think today I have Meguiars.
2. Get this
https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR201.../dp/B00D8DR0AO
3. Add some soap and the No Rinse and Shine (from #2 above) to a bucket and fill.
yes, a single bucket for God's sake
4. Get yourself two sponges
5. Water down the car, use the first sponge to wash everything except the lower parts of both bumpers and the bottom 1/4th of the car.
6. Rinse (do repeatedly if hot)
7. Remove 1st sponge, use second sponge, wash bottom part of car, finish by doing the wheels.
8. Rinse
9. Dry with one of these if you are picky
https://www.amazon.com/Absorber-Synt...s=drying+towel
otherwise, use a nice towel or two.
10. Use another towel to dry the insides of the door, trunk, and gas cap (that holds a lot of water!)
11. Drive the car around the block, braking to dry the brakes
12. Wipe down the car one last time.

Once a year, I do this (maybe twice) - always on Father's day however
1. Claybar entire car (drop the claybar and you need to throw it out, so don't drop the claybar - think of it like soap in a prison, hold on to it like your life depends on it)
2. Zaino AIO
3. Zaino Z5 Pro
4. Protect the wheels with this https://www.amazon.com/CorrosionX-61...keywords=rejex

You can always call Zaino and they will give you advice for your particular area and how you drive the car. I think the dude answers the phone 24x7

Rules of the road
1. If you drop a sponge, wash the crap out of it with the hose
2. Dump the water after, do not be tempted to wash the wife's 7 year old mini with the remaining water
3. Do not use cleaner on the wheels - do see #4 however (Rejex will allow you to clean the wheels very easily)
Great post! Jesus I was laughing at the part about not using the old water to wash the wifes mini. My wife has a mini and I am guilty of this hahaha
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Why not use cleaner on the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
Em-Two
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Use whichever gas station gives the biggest fuel discount with a car wash.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #11
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokrunka View Post
Great post! Jesus I was laughing at the part about not using the old water to wash the wifes mini. My wife has a mini and I am guilty of this hahaha
I so do it all the time. Christ, it takes 4 minutes to wash that thing, I just have to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Why not use cleaner on the wheels?
It is very caustic to the finish. I do it once a year on the winters just to get all the bad stuff out - but at the end of the day, it is like using sandpaper to clean them.

PS, I forgot #4 on the rules of the road...
4. Use Joy or some other detergent when washing the car prior to using the claybar - it helps get rid of the wax.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #12
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
I been using a third bucket that just touches the wheels because those have the most dirt.

I also bought some Optimum No Rinse Wash that I use if I want to do a quick cleaning without running water. I also keep a spray bottle of ONR in the trunk with some microfiber towels in case I need to wipe off some bird shit or something.

I also bought this Chemical Guys package of products from Costco which seems really good for the price. https://www.costco.com/Chemical-Guys...100291210.html

There are better products if you were to buy each thing individually but it's still a good value.
My detailer recommended me to get the ONR too and make a spray bottle for quick clean ups here and there.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:38 AM   #13
reenu
Rep
Drives: Mercedes benz

Sonax is a good solid product, i really liked it!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #14
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I second the recommendation for the chemical guys honeydew stuff with the foam gun for the water hose. Works great. I think a 2 bucket system with grit guard is good for anal people.

I use this stuff on wheels: DUB U1422 Wheel Cleaner - 22 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G49NYT0..._V2H.ybY30XPP4

A professional detailed told me about that product. 8 bucks a bottle and works great on the extreme brake dust build up.

Lastly if you live in a place with hard water I have to recommend one of these: https://crspotless.com/product/di-12...anding-system/

I don't have shade in my drive way so the awful hard water in my area used to quickly make white calcium deposits as the water evaporates. It looked terrible and it's a pain to get off the windows. The CG foam gun also runs at the proper flow rate for the bucket when the foam head is attached.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
My boss thats been doing shows for 40 years turned me on to a product thats so good I keep it a secret around me....

I ALWAYS have black, I never touch it w a brush and I only use these little known products by wwwdot croftgateUSA dotcom...

Waterless wash just b4 I high pressure spray....

Quick and Slick Paint Sealant, brings the black out to a new level AND I DONT SPEND AN HR GETTING OUT STREAKS...

Their "Last Detail"

Chemical Brothers Tire Shine...

The products are super expensive, only use them before shows but almost everyone asks how I get the black so glossy, and all my buddies switched when they saw my car.
      04-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #16
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

Love Chemical Guys packages/products! That's what I use as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #17
nomade30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M2, 91 325, 05 DMAX

I just created an account (well and I have an m2 on order) to tell people to not use "the absorber", please for the love of god, get a good drying towel and a California blade. I've seen many nice cars with lots of swirls because people use those stupid absorbers.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 06:04 PM   #18
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade30
I just created an account (well and I have an m2 on order) to tell people to not use "the absorber", please for the love of god, get a good drying towel and a California blade. I've seen many nice cars with lots of swirls because people use those stupid absorbers.
Couldn't disagree more and in fact that blade looks horrific. Swirls are caused by... Swirling. Any motion at all is what causes swirls and surficial scratches in clear coat.

Pat dry. With the absorber. Just lay it down and pull it off again.
      04-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #19
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

I use Sonax on my wheels. I got my wheels Opti-coated (off the car) when she was brand new. Even after some heavy use, it barely turns green on the wheels...only the rotors usually

I absolutely LOVE chemical guys car wash. I bought a foam cannon and electric pressure washer...CHANGED MY LIFE washing my cars. I've got 7 different kinds of car washes from them. Mr Pink is incredible. Haven't washed it this season yet to try the others.

Bought their sample V32,V34,V36,V38 polishing packs. Worked great on my Celica

Bought their clay bars, clay lube, and clay mitt. My 18 year old Celica's paint is smooth as glass.

I recommend them
Appreciate 0