E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replaced Rear Shocks, Passenger Rear Lower

04-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Replaced Rear Shocks, Passenger Rear Lower

So this weekend, I finally got around to swapping out the rear shocks. It was a pretty straight forward job with removing the trunk liner being the most difficult part.

On completion, I noticed that the passenger side sits lower than the driver side. It should be noted that the passenger side shock was blown, there was some fluid accumulation. Now I've read various posts that you can't really wear out or damage springs but in this case, did the spring really wear out? I've been driving on the damaged shock for a little over a season (noticed the harsh crashing right before winter) so was there unnecessary stress put on that spring causing it to sit lower or did I some how mess something up when swapping out the shocks? I measure and the difference between both sides is about 3/4 inches.

I've searched the forums and I'm not believing the "the driver side should sit higher to compensate for driver".

Appreciate the help guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

3/4 of an inch would be a little excessive to me.

There are rubber mounts at the bottom of the spring and top of the shock that can affect height as they wear.

I actually have my KW's set at the same height (based on threads) and my passenger side does sit just a touch lower. I think it's cause the weight of the battery but it's closer to an 1/8inch.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

There are rubber mounts at the bottom of the spring and top of the shock that can affect height as they wear.

I actually have my KW's set at the same height (based on threads) and my passenger side does sit just a touch lower. I think it's cause the weight of the battery but it's closer to an 1/8inch.
Thanks for the response Jeff.

To prevent and minimize any differences in height due to worn out parts relating to the shock, I replaced everything except for guide support (located at the top of the shock stem accessed through the trunk) - it was the only thing that did not look worn out possibly because it is the only part that is hidden from the weather elements, all parts like the sealing grommet, supporting cup and especially the additional shock absorber/jounce were replaced.

As for the spring coil assembly, before I replaced shocks, the height was pretty much even to the naked eye so I figure that part of the suspension should remain the same post-shock replacement.

I wasn't expecting perfect ride height on each corner realizing there could be some differences but the difference I'm seeing is visible to the eye so I figured there has to be something wrong. If I inspect the springs, is there anything I should be looking out for? Again, after reading many threads, I was under the impression that you would have to do a lot to a spring coil to even get it to start performing poorly.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 10:28 PM   #4
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

Definitely look at the lower shock mounts. Inexpensive rubber!!

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
mjn77
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI Jerez Black

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Mine sits 10mm lower on the right side, that is with fresh shocks / springs / spring pads / top mounts.

Loads of 3-series have right hand lean
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I will check the springs but I find it weird that before I swapped the shocks, the ride height on both sides were pretty even and after I replace them, it's a big difference.

Any chance that not loading the suspension correctly before tightening all the bolts could cause a difference?
Appreciate 0