F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > any coilover adjustment gurus out there?
proTUNING Freaks

04-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #1
DSH7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

any coilover adjustment gurus out there?

Hi all, I installed some B16 PSS10s a while back and I was hoping that I could just set all the perches the same before install and end up with a perfect drop on all corners. I didn't end up so lucky, and I'm still trying to get the ride height dialed.

I got the Komforts (10-30mm drop) because I'm going for a similar drop to the M Performance Suspension (20mm). The RF and LR are perfect, but the LF and RR still need to come down a few mm. Problem is, those two perches are pretty close to maxed out...about 5-10 mm lower than the other perches! I could keep going and max them out, but there will be an even bigger difference in the opposite perches...and that difference is already screwing with my OCD.

Any answers for me?? It seems like since the diagonal perches are pretty much spot on from each other, but so far off from the other diagonals my corner weights would be off and I don't want to make that even worse by going further. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911/Boxster/Model Y

I have extensive experience with coils, specially the Pss10s. The first question, who installed the Bilsteins for you? There may be a chance that the front shocks are not sitting completely flush down on their shock notch (There is a notch on the shock which lets you know the shock is all the way down inside the front arm assembly). Another item you might want to examine is, are ALL the springs properly seated in their respective top-hat? These too have notches where the spring will literally "stop" so that you know they are properly seated.
It's very normal for each corner to have its own height, but up to 10mm is quit a difference. If I can recall correctly, Pss10 rear adjusters only have about 40-50mm of adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #3
DSH7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
I have extensive experience with coils, specially the Pss10s. The first question, who installed the Bilsteins for you? There may be a chance that the front shocks are not sitting completely flush down on their shock notch (There is a notch on the shock which lets you know the shock is all the way down inside the front arm assembly). Another item you might want to examine is, are ALL the springs properly seated in their respective top-hat? These too have notches where the spring will literally "stop" so that you know they are properly seated.
It's very normal for each corner to have its own height, but up to 10mm is quit a difference. If I can recall correctly, Pss10 rear adjusters only have about 40-50mm of adjustment.
I installed them. I double and triple checked that the shocks are all the way in and the springs are seated properly. I guess a more general question for my issue would be: is it better to have all perches set evenly and have the ride heights off, or the ride heights even and the perches off?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSH7 View Post
I guess a more general question for my issue would be: is it better to have all perches set evenly and have the ride heights off, or the ride heights even and the perches off?
I'll be honest brother, you're confusing as hell with this question.

When I install coils, I set the front and rear perches to match each respective side. Then I'll corner balance after an initial drive, then once or twice again after a couple of hundred miles once the springs set in. By this point, it's virtually impossible to have front/rear sleeves match the other side due to the vehicle's weight dynamics. The best height management I have ever accomplished, was within 1/8" of each respective side. Then it would all change again if I drove around or compressed a wheel or two over a speed bump, dip, etc...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #5
DSH7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcspec View Post
I'll be honest brother, you're confusing as hell with this question.
Whats so confusing about it? If I set all 4 perches the same my fender gaps are off. If I start adjusting to get the fender gaps more even, the perches are off. i.e one is slammed, and another still has close to 10mm left. Which is better? Having perches even and fender gaps off, or fender gaps close and perch settings off.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
zcspec
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSH7 View Post
Having perches even and fender gaps off, or fender gaps close and perch settings off.
Perches off...that's what they are designed for.
Appreciate 0