F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension HELP!
Extreme Powerhouse

04-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
Aello
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive M-Sport Package

Suspension HELP!

I have a '14 335i xDrive MSport without DHP. I was wondering what options I have to make the car have a sportier feel, it feels too floaty and not sporty enough. I have been looking at springs but I am confused whether or not I can get springs without having the Adaptive option.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
oksymoroni
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Yes you can get springs without having DHP. You would just replace your stock springs with aftermarket ones (Dinan, H&R, etc). Just know that your stock shocks will wear faster with aftermarket springs. Alot of people upgrade their shocks at the same time they get new springs. Your other option is to get coilovers which allow you to adjust ride height, dampening (depending on the brand and how much you pay for them), etc.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

I am pretty sure you can get aftermarket springs and/or coils with or without DHP. The most common options for lowering are (from least expensive to most):

1) Lowering springs + Stock shocks (e.g. Dinan lowering springs + stock shocks)
With just lowering springs, you will get slightly better handling, but it is mostly for looks

2) Lowering springs + aftermarket shocks (e.g. H&R springs +Bilstein B8 shocks)
With lowering springs + aftermarket shocks, you will get both the looks and improved handling. You are unable to adjust the dampening rates or heights though.

3) Full coilover (e.g. KW V1/V2/V3, KW Street Comfort, Bilstein PSS, BC Racing)
With full coilover you get adjustable height, and for the more expensive ones you can adjust dampening as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #4
rjmatx
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i / S2000

Aello:

I was in a similar boat (340i Msport, no track package). I did not care for the way the car handled, at all. I put went the aftermarket route (Bilstein B8 / H&R Sport springs) and it transformed the car. It went from a car that was 'ok' and good for hauling around the family, to a car I look forward to driving every day (I may even prefer it to my S2000 now for every day use :0 )

Everyone has a different taste of what is "sporty" vs "spine-crushing harsh", so try to check out someone else's car if you aren't sure what you'll like. But I highly recommend swapping out the suspension. Single best mod I've ever done to a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aello View Post
I have a '14 335i xDrive MSport without DHP. I was wondering what options I have to make the car have a sportier feel, it feels too floaty and not sporty enough. I have been looking at springs but I am confused whether or not I can get springs without having the Adaptive option.
is the BMW M sport damper suitable to be used with lowering springs? this is something important to consider because your average damper will not be well suited to lowering springs at all. ride/handling will not be optimal and your factory damper will wear out very quickly with lowering springs.

OP, I think you will be best off with Eibach/ ACS springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aello View Post
What's your budget for suspension improvements?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Are many (or any) of the options above still possible for adaptive suspension? My 2017 340 has track handling (thus adaptive suspension) and comfort is way too floaty, and I often wish sport felt "tighter".
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb Mode View Post
Are many (or any) of the options above still possible for adaptive suspension? My 2017 340 has track handling (thus adaptive suspension) and comfort is way too floaty, and I often wish sport felt "tighter".
I think xdrive limits your suspension options more then anything else.

I cant believe you guys are complaining about Msport suspension on a 3 series. you guys should try my 528i

guys, try going for bilstein sport struts and ACS springs - it will handle like a real BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #9
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

The Dinan Shockware flash really tightened things up on my '14 335i with adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #10
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
The Dinan Shockware flash really tightened things up on my '14 335i with adaptive suspension.
I've been strongly considering this. Could you expand a bit on your before/after shock ware tthoughts? Thx
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #11
mtenhoven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 sDrive30i & 2024 M2

As mentioned there are many options, this is the path I chose. I'm very pleased with the transformation.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=ACS+B6
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #12
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
I've been strongly considering this. Could you expand a bit on your before/after shock ware tthoughts? Thx
I installed a Ground Control coilover suspension on my E36 M3 and H&R sport springs with Koni FSD shocks on my E46 330izhp. In both cases the systems improved handling by lowering the center of gravity, increasing the force required to change the geometry of the suspension, and increasing the dampening force on the springs. Dinan's shockware doesn't lower the car's CG, but it does impact dampening, and for goodness sake, it seems to increase spring force.

Now I'm not a track rat, so take my opinion with a grain of salt; but Shockware seems to impact not just the shocks. It restricts dive under heavy braking and dampens suspension transitions like an upgraded shock, but it also seems to resist forces during hard cornering like heavy duty springs do. Maybe it's placebo effect, but it seems to help all aspects of handling. And it does so without sacrificing ride quality over bumpy road. I plan on adding the Dinan sport springs over the summer to complete the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #13
Thompson
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
I believe I'm experiencing this on my 340 with track package as well. Sometimes on an uneven road it seems to rock from side to side like a seesaw. Is this what you mean by floaty?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #14
Climb Mode
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson View Post
I believe I'm experiencing this on my 340 with track package as well. Sometimes on an uneven road it seems to rock from side to side like a seesaw. Is this what you mean by floaty?
Not really. Just more body roll when cornering then I'd like.
Appreciate 0